Stabilized Whipped Cream?

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 18 Sep 2007 , 8:40pm by beachcakes

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 13

Does anyone know how to do this? My aunt will be turning 95 next week, God bless her, and she wants a cake with whipped cream frosting. I told her she can have whatever her heart desires! But I don't know how to stabilize whipped cream and the dinner is at a restaurant. They don't sell Bettercreme or Pastry Pride around here and I'd have to overnight ship it from sugarcraft.com - and I don't wanna do that!

12 replies
ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 13

According to Wilton, you can add piping gel to stabilize whipped cream. Haven't tried it. You could check their website for more info. Good luck!!!

kmartinezgarcia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmartinezgarcia Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 13

If you are making it from scratch, you can add powdered sugar (to your taste) and meringue powder (2 tbs. or so) to the heavy cream when you mixing. Just make sure the bowl and beater are cold before you start mixing then keep the icing in refrigerator for 10 minutes or so and start icing the cake. At least that is what I do (I would love to see the responses too)

I hope this helps how big is the cake? And how long is dinner? Keep the cake in the refrigerator until you leave the house and also find a cool area in the restaurant to display your product.

Good luck! KMG

heartsfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsfire Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 13

The receipe that I used is as follows:

1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
4 teaspoons cold water
1 cup heavy whipping cream - very cold
1/4 c Confectioners Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract clear

Instructions
Combine gelatin and cold water in small saucepan. Let stand until thick.
Place over low heat, stirring constantly just until gelatin dissolves.
Remove from heat and cool slightly. Whip cream, sugar and vanilla until
slightly thickened. While beating slowly, gradually add gelatin to whipped
cream mixture. Whip at high speed until stiff.

Yield: 2 cups - I end up making at least 2 batches for icing and decorations. I tried doubling the recipe once and it was all lumpy. I also make sure to put my beaters and bowl in the freezer for about 15 minutes before I use them.

beachcakes Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 13

THanks for the responses! icon_smile.gif It seems like there are a few ways to make it. I wonder what the different ingredients do to stabilize it... we need Alton Brown! icon_smile.gif

I guess I should've also asked how long it can stay out? I'm guessing it will need to be in room temperature for two hours. She wanted a sheet cake to make it easier for the restaurant to serve it. But I'm thinking a 10" square. It only needs to serve 24.

bakers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakers2 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 13

a quick cheater way of stabilizing whipped cream is to add 3TBL of instant pudding mix to every 2 cups whipping cream - I prefer white chocolate myself - it will hang at room temp for a number of hours and in the fridge for days!

bakers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakers2 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 13

forgot to say - add the dry pudding mix to the whipping cream just as soft peaks start to form and then finish whipping

be forewarned - vanilla is yellow in the pudding world - not white!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 6:21pm
post #8 of 13

I use the one on the Wilton website. I have used it several times. Yes, it can stay out a couple of hours with no problem.

Lorea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorea Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 6:22pm
post #9 of 13

I would second using gelatin to stabilize it - it would give you the most secure hold. Using gelatin would allow you to leave it at room temperature without needing to keep it refrigerated for a while.

Using gelatin, you can even pipe roses with it!

I typically sweeten the liquid cream to taste using regular cane sugar rather than powdered sugar though, because powdered sugar leaves a slightly chalky mouthfeel and is more expensive.

beachcakes Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 12:30pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks so much for the info! Will coloring it make it too soft?

heartsfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsfire Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 2:38pm
post #11 of 13

I have colored mine with no problems at all.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 7:42pm
post #12 of 13

I have tried to make stabilized whipped cream with gelatine and have never had good luck - I usually end up with "rivlets" of gelatin in my icing! YUCK! Over the weekend I tried the Whipped Cream Buttercream Frosting from CC and it was wonderful!! It is also non-perishable (can leave on counter for 3 months). It tasted just like whipped cream frosting to me!

beachcakes Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 8:40pm
post #13 of 13

I tried the stabilized whipped cream with the gelatin. Smeared 1/2" on a plate and let it sit for 4 hours at room temp (70*) and it held beautifully. Thanks for the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%