Pricing Help

Decorating By letseatcake Updated 26 Jul 2005 , 9:52pm by letseatcake

letseatcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letseatcake Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 3

I got a order for a 9 x 13 german choc. sheet cake and 48 snickerdoodle coookies. I made the cake and icing from scratch. The oder was placed yesterday for tomorrow and I have no idea waht to charge. I normally do decorated cakes and cookies.

Thanks for you help icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 3

I'm from Miami, so prices here might be a little different than Indiana. . .
I would charge b/w $40 -$50. After all, let's say that the ingredient's total up to $20 (roughly), there's still your hard work and don't forget electricity! Oh, and packaging. . .the cake board, cake box etc. . .

For the cookies alone, look at this. . .
If you charge $20 for the cookies, it comes out to 41¢ a cookie.
If you charge $15 for the cookies, it comes out to 31¢ a cookie.
If you charge $12 for the cookies, it comes out to 25¢ a cookie.

I wouldn't do it for 25¢ a cookie in a million years - the ingredients alone might be 12 dollars so I wouldn't get paid for my work, time, electric, etc. . . you get my point? It's not that you want to over charge for you work, you want to charge what it's worth, after all, you're making everything homemade.

Also, think how long it took you to make everything. . . 3 hours, 4 hours. . . If you charge $40 for example, and it takes you 4 hours to do everything, thats 10 bucks an hour ( not bad ) just remember you have to deduct what you spent on everything and I mean everything! Then you'll have exactly what your making as profit. Let's say you make $20 profit, devide that by the amount of time it took you (let's say 4 hours) then you're only making $5 an hour (not good). Ya see? If you charge too little, then you might be only making a small amount as profit, and I'm sure your hard work is worth more than $10 to 15 bucks icon_biggrin.gif

Ok enough of blabbing, I hope this helps you.
Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

letseatcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letseatcake Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your help

Ivy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%