Need Ideas For Girl's Birthday? She's Eleven!

Decorating By knoxcop1 Updated 13 Nov 2006 , 4:50am by AlamoSweets

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 3:55am
post #1 of 16

Just got a kind of "vague" order for a girl's birthday party, due on Thursday.

Ok. It's going to be a "makeup" type party. The lady did say she wanted a "girly girl" type of cake.

What do y'all think? Maybe a sheet cake with some fondant pieces molded into like a lipstick, compact, etc.? Or what??

What do eleven year old girls even LIKE? detective.gif I've got two BOYS, so I don't know anything here!!

HELP PLEASE!!

Thanks, everyone!
==Knox==

15 replies
moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 3:58am
post #2 of 16

That is a tough one!! I have done several girly cakes but on the tiered side. There ate lipsticks, Rollers, Brushes that I made on it. As far as sheet cake I have only done a few! (graduation!)

knoxcop1 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 4:00am
post #3 of 16

Oh, yeah--ROLLERS!!

Thanks, Moydear! You do beautiful work! Love your bubble cake!

--Knox--

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 4:06am
post #4 of 16

I love the make up and roller idea, but I just did a cake for my niece who just turned 12 and she absolutely loved it. She HUGGED me! Its in my photos. Caseys cake. It had her picture on it, it was a retro sort of look, in Pink with brown and green circles. Just food for thought....
Sweetcakes23

bananaslug14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananaslug14 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 4:08am
post #5 of 16

mabey a purse cake with lipstick and powder compact?

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 4:09am
post #6 of 16

I have a glam bag cake (that I stole the idea off of this site) that I do on a regular basis for a client who throws glamour parties for girls ages 6-12. If you like it, I would be happy to give you any pointers.

moydear77 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 4:10am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxcop1

Oh, yeah--ROLLERS!!

Thanks, Moydear! You do beautiful work! Love your bubble cake!

--Knox--

Thanks!! You can See some Girly type cakes in my Birthady cake gallery and Whimsical cake gallery on my website.

Also Marabou feathers look great around the cake board!

reneemw3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reneemw3 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 4:12am
post #8 of 16

Dots/circles are really in for girls right now. I have a 13 year old daughter and we seem to keep buying things that are dots/circles in varius shades of pink with either greens or browns.

I would maybe do this on the sheet cake and then add some makeup type things or mayber a hand mirror with some lipstick.

Hope this helps.

knoxcop1 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 4:16am
post #9 of 16

Ohhh! Yeah---Dots! Those are big right now, huh!? icon_smile.gif

I think I'm going to do the glamour idea with some fondant lipsticks, rollers, nail polish, compact, etc.

I'll put it around a purse cake covered in fondant, and I'll do the purse with some DOTS!!

LOL!!!

Thanks everyone, for all your input! GAHH! I'm glad I'm a mom of BOYS, sometimes. icon_rolleyes.gif

--Knox--

monstersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monstersmom Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 4:21am
post #10 of 16

I did a makeup & purse cake for a 16 yr. old and she loved it...I bet an 11 yr. old would too. Heck, I'll be 35 and I would love it. It's in my photos, if you want to take a peek.

knoxcop1 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 4:28am
post #11 of 16

icon_surprised.gificon_smile.gif I swear---Y'all do the BEST WORK!!

I've been looking at everyone's photos, and just...WOW! icon_smile.gif

I can only hope to be that good someday.

--Thanks much, y'all--

--Knox--

moydear77 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 4:39am
post #12 of 16

I think my web server is down right now!

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 4:41am
post #13 of 16

I think definitely a purse cake. I don't know if you have time to find them but there are some excellent make up chocolate molds (lipstick, compact, perfume, cell phone and I am sure an i-pod) If you have access to edible images you could print the images of all and adhere them to a chocolate base and cut around each. Just a thought. The handles can be wire covered with a feather boa as well as the top edge of a simple rectangular stacked cake to appear as a purse. The purse could be decorated with the dots and circles they all love so much.

knoxcop1 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 4:43am
post #14 of 16

ALAMO:

How do I "attach" the edible images to the chocolate? With piping gel? Water?

Thanks for a GREAT idea!

--Knox--

AlamoSweets Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 4:47am
post #15 of 16

A thin layer of piping gel works great. If the edges begin to curl and sometimes they do you can put a thin outline of royal icing around the edge and let it harden. You could use all black, all white or match the colors in the images. Have fun and don't forget the pictures.

AlamoSweets Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 4:50am
post #16 of 16

The more I think about it you should leave a slight margin between the edible image and the edge of the cut chocolate. When I put the royal icing around images on cookies and it doesn't touch both the image and the cookie it tends to pop off. So I highly recommend that you pipe around the image making sure you touch both. I hope this is clear.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%