Gumpaste

Decorating By lilscakes Updated 26 Jul 2005 , 8:59pm by KayDay

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 1:58am
post #1 of 4

My apologies if I'm asking a question that has likely been asked 1000 times before. I read about gumpaste all the time and wonder what makes it different from fondant. In one of the courses I took , the instructor had us add gumtex to the fondant to keep it pliable a bit longer while working with it. Does this then make it gumpaste? If so, can the same be done with mmf? I really would like to learn how to work with this medium if it's not as I've described it and would appreciate any info you can provide or any available links or tutorials. Thanks so much in advance. icon_smile.gif

3 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 4

yes you can make gumpaste with the tex and fondant. I don't know about the MMF as i have never worked with that.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 4

Gumpaste dries faster and harder than fondant. It will generall roll thinner than fondant. There are "quick gumpaste" recipes that add Tylose of Gumtex to fondant. It would be simple to test it with a small recipe of MMF.

If you can find it, Tylose is better than Gumtex. The resulting paste is more white, but if you are adding color, it won't make much difference.

JoAnn

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 4

Speaking of gumpaste...I am up to my elbows in it!! I have had 5 cakes to do this week...only one being a birthday cake and not too hard. The other 4 are an anniv. cake and a wedding cake and a grooms cake and an oriental stacked dragon cake! I am getting practice on gumpaste roses! I don't think mine will ever look truly GOOD though icon_cry.gif I will have lots of pics to post in a day or 2 though!...lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%