Need Help With Upside Down Icing Technique

Decorating By kerririchards Updated 19 Sep 2007 , 9:01pm by cariage

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:20am
post #1 of 10

I have tried this method a few times with absolutely NO luck. Sure, the sides turn out perfectly smooth, but when I go to remove the parchment paper or acetate from the top, I end up pulling icing off the cake, and what doesn't get pulled off is definately NOT smooth because it has stuck to the paper. I have tried parchment like the tutorial calls for and someone told me that transparency paper is acetate. Neither of those have worked for me. The tutorial calls for putting the cake and icing in the fridge if it is at least 1/3 butter and in the freezer if it is crisco. I use a buttercream recipe that is 1/2 and 1/2 and I have tried it both in the fridge and freezer. Any suggestions from someone who has successfully used this method? It seems like the best idea EVER if you can actually get it to work.

9 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 2:04am
post #2 of 10

I also use this technique and the first three times I tried I was successful. After that I've been experiencing the same thing you are. I haven't changed what paper I used yet, but I starting to think that maybe my icing is to soft, thinner consistency. I use heavy whipping cream in my bc; it calls for starting with 2 but up to 4 tbsps per single batch. I now use sugarshacks bc tech. and do a 4 batch. So I think that next time instead of using all 16 tbsps I 'll cut back to 12 and see if it's a spreading consistency if not I 'll add 2 tbsps until it's right. When I peel my paper off, I just dip my spatula in boiling water; dry off and the icing smooves out. I keep repeating until the whole top is smoove then I let it crust and smooth with viva and fondant smoother then the foam roller over a fresh viva. Sometimes I have to add little dabs of fresh icing on the spots that are bald before smoothing with the hot spatula.

kerririchards Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 10

See, I think that is the whole point of the upside down technique - you shouldn't HAVE to smooth with a paper towel or roller or hot spatula. If I could just get it figured out, it would save me TONS of time, because I just can't leave that teeny weeny wrinkle or not-so-perfect spot alone. Even though I am sure no one will even notice it. Maybe the trick IS to use thicker icing - kind of goes against everything we were taught, right?

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 10

I was reading about this technique and am dying to try it but I was wondering the same thing. Seems to me you would always pull your icing off and have to resmooth it so it's great seeing this post.

Another question for you guys that I can't figure out. How do you successfully flip it over? I keep having nightmares about messing up the sides or top when I flip it defeating the purpose. icon_confused.gif Or end up with a broken cake (which seems to always be my case icon_redface.gif )

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 10

I haven't tried the technique myself but it seems to me if the icing were frozen completely when you flipped and removed the paper it wouldn't stick.....I've made quite a few frozen bc transfers and they never stick to the icing unless they're not completely frozen........maybe you're not allowing the icing to freeze enough???

kerririchards Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 10

I just tape my parchment paper to a sturdy cake board (larger than what I need for the cake) and then when I am ready to flip the whole thing over, I have my real cake board on the "bottom" of the cake for support. I think you are supposed to take the support board off after flipping it over and then stick it back in the fridge for a few before removing the paper. Maybe my problem is the paper. I wonder if onion skin paper would be any better. I also wonder if the person who actually wrote the tutorial is still a member here on cc. I guess I should look that up and try to contact he/she directly. Now, why didn't I think of that the FIRST time I tried this technique?!!!!!

kerririchards Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 10

KHalstead, what kind of paper are you using for your transfers? When I took my iced cake out of the freezer the icing was VERY firm - not frozen, but firm. I just worry about my cake drying out if I leave it in the freezer too long. I never freeze cakes to decorate with because I don't want that "frozen cake" taste or texture. Surely though, a few extra minutes wouldn't make that much of a difference.

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 3:05pm
post #8 of 10

I don't have any suggestions but I have had the same problem every time I have tried this method. I want it to work so badly because I love those crisp edges you get from it, but right now it isn't worth the extra work of repairing the top of the cake!

Hoping someone else has some suggestions!

Anya

kerririchards Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 1:20am
post #9 of 10

Ok, I went to the tutorial again and clicked on the guys name who did the tutorial and it took me directly to sugarcraft. Don't know that I want to open THAT can of worms! Plus, I couldn't find his name on the site, so I am guessing he is no longer there.

cariage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cariage Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 9:01pm
post #10 of 10

I tried this method for the first time last weekend and it worked GREAT! I tried to take the parchment off the first time and I noticed it wasn't coming out right. so I put it in the freezer until it was very cold and the parchment came off easily and with perfect results. I did have to smooth a little with a viva papertowel, but I always had trouble getting clean edges and smooth tops and this method fixed those problems

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%