New To Fondant:how Far In Advance Can You Make A Mmf Figure?

Decorating By cakecastle Updated 12 Sep 2007 , 9:01pm by Jmtreu98

cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 8

I've never made or used fondant, but I want to try a MMF figure for my dh's birthday cake next weekend. I was wondering how far in advance it can be made? Does it need to be made within a day or so of being placed on the cake or does that even matter? I'm not even sure if I can do it!?!? But I want to try because I really want to make something special for him. Thanks for any help that can be offered! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 8

I recently (about a week ago) made some fondant frogs for my friends cake I am doing this weekend.

If he isn't going to try to eat it you can do it well in advance to let it harden and then just place it on the cake at the time.

I don't have experience with people yet so maybe someone more experienced might have different ideas.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 8

You can make it at any time. The longer before the event the harder it will be, but my people don't ever eat the figures.

Are you planning on adding gum-tex or gumpaste to your MMF?

cakenut516 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenut516 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 8

I usually make my modelled figures one to two weeks before they go on the cake (I like to give myself plenty of time!). I think they taste best if they're made within a week because the fondant starts to harden and dry out. The fresher it is the better it's going to taste. However, some figures actually need to dry out a bit so that they can support their own weight. (I often make the bodies first. I let them dry out for a day or two so that they can support the weight of the modelled heads.)

Since it's really just made from sugar, gelatin and a gum agent, fondant figures can be kept indefinitely (however you wouldn't want to eat them after a long period of time). I've managed to save some of the decorations from my kids' favorite cakes. I have some figures sitting in my china cabinet that are at least two years old. Again, I wouldn't consume them at this point. But it's nice to have a keepsake from the parties. If you do hold onto the modelled figures, you may notice that the colors will fade over time. Nothing lasts forever - so take plenty of photos!

cakecastle Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

You can make it at any time. The longer before the event the harder it will be, but my people don't ever eat the figures.

Are you planning on adding or gumpaste to your MMF?

OOOPS! Shows how much I know about fondant, lol. I didn't even know you had to add either of those....I guess I need to do a little more research before I try it out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know he won't try to eat the figure, not sure about my kids though. DH is a huge Carolina Tarheels fan (and I'm a huge Duke fan) and I want to make Ramses to put on his cake. I know it would mean alot to him considering our teams are each others biggest rival.

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 8

Are you making figures, or actually using it on the cake as the icing?

Figures I make well in advance, up to a few weeks. I have made MMF two-three weeks in advance to use on cakes. As long as you keep it in a cool area (not the fridge) and wrap it extremely well, you should be good. I haven't had any complaints.

cakecastle Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by keriskreations

Are you making figures, or actually using it on the cake as the icing?

Figures I make well in advance, up to a few weeks. I have made MMF two-three weeks in advance to use on cakes. As long as you keep it in a cool area (not the fridge) and wrap it extremely well, you should be good. I haven't had any complaints.

Just the figure. I plan to ice in BC, although I know he prefers whipped. I just haven't found a recipe for whipped yet that is similar to what WM and grocery stores use (he's never been a big BC fan but he loves that stuff for some reason icon_confused.gif )

Jmtreu98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmtreu98 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 9:01pm
post #8 of 8

I have a question then....If I make MMF roses two weeks in advance can I put them on refrigerated buttercream or do I need it to come to room temperature? I would like to put them on Friday, the party is Saturday.

HELP!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%