Can I Add Meringue Powder?

Decorating By leslies125 Updated 12 Nov 2006 , 12:37am by springlakecake

leslies125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leslies125 Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 12:01am
post #1 of 6

I have made some bc icing to ice a cake. I want to color and use what's leftover for decorating, but it needs to be stiffer, so can I add meringue powder straight to the already prepared icing to make it stiffer without hurting the icing?

5 replies
DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 12:07am
post #2 of 6

I would probably just add more powdered sugar. Meringue powder doesn't really stiffen it up, it stabilizes it and makes it crust. Especially if you needed to add a lot, meringue powder is kind of expensive!

cakejunkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakejunkie Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 12:07am
post #3 of 6

I have done this before and it has worked fine for me just make sure that you incorporate it well into the icing. It should work great for making roses, flowers, etc.

wehmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wehmom Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 12:09am
post #4 of 6

I always use meringue powder to thicken mine. It keeps the icing from becoming more sweet. It is already sweet enough. I wouldn't try making it stiff but medium consistency should work fine.

leslies125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leslies125 Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 12:32am
post #5 of 6

thanks for the advice...I really don't want it sweeter either, so I think I'll give it a shot. I guess I'm really looking for it to crust better, not just be stiff. Wish me luck!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 12:37am
post #6 of 6

I have heard of people actually using some flour. I have never ever tried it but I know the person was happy with the result. I am exactly sure what the purpose was though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%