I Entered Duff's Extreme Cake Contest! Need Ideas Now!!

Decorating By CAKESHERWAY Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 4:27pm by springlakecake

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 1:52am
post #121 of 201

GREAT, have fun Amie & all the others entering icon_biggrin.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 10 Oct 2007 , 8:22pm
post #122 of 201

I am just curious if anyone who has entered has gotten anything by mail? I was worried whether or not the forms I faxed to the museum got there. So I emailed her confirming that she got my stuff. She said she did and they would be sending something out by mail. I know they also charged my credit card for the entry fee, so I am not worried that I am not registered. but just wondering!

springlakecake Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:09pm
post #123 of 201

Just want you all to know that I came across this yesterday.

http://www.rrstar.com/homepage/x751575798/

Says that they are moving the demonstration to a Women's Club or something so they can get more people in.

Is everyone excited???!!?!??! Have you gotten your cakes done?? I think I am just about finished with mine, so that is a huge relief.

I never did get around to getting any type of "cake" shirt. So tell me again who is attending/a contestant? I hope to get to meet a couple of you and get a good look at your cakes! See ya there!

MBoyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBoyd Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 6:50pm
post #124 of 201

I just got my "official" letter yesterday.
I'm still not done with my cake - it will probably be down to the wire... (as usual).
See you Friday night/Saturday - good luck everyone!!!!!

CAKESHERWAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKESHERWAY Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 7:52pm
post #125 of 201

Hi everyone! I got my info packet today in the mail! Still haven't started the cake! I am swamped this week with orders and fear I won't even get to do a cake! I am still going regardless.

The event is still at the museum but the demonstration that Duff will do is moved to the woman's club. The contest is at the museum and the dinner is at Cliff breakers.

Are we going to meet up somewhere or how are we going to know how we are? LOL!

bgallay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bgallay Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 2:15am
post #126 of 201

Hi all!
I just thought I would mention I will be there too. I am just a lurker for the most part, but all this talk about the competion made me chime in. I am coming from Madison, WI, a little more than an hour away.

I am busy working on my cake over the next few days. I won't share my theme icon_biggrin.gif But I am happy with it. Since it's the "Totally Awesome" cake challenge, I am sticking with that ... not anything to do with Rockford.

I am excited and nervous!

Hopefully I will run into some of you there.

Good luck!!!

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 3:39am
post #127 of 201

Okay, I have to finally chime in to say that my hat is in the ring also! icon_biggrin.gif What would you guys think of meeting for breakfast on Saturday morning before the museum opens? So, does that make 5 or 6 of us from CC in the contest? COOL! And yes, I am incredibly nervous too!!! Especially after seeing so many of you talented folks entered.

One thing I thought I'd mention since I saw the question earlier in this thread, is that the judging will actually be done Friday night, with no one around but Duff and the museum crew.

And laura- show a little pride girl! Rockford has some awesome stuff!

Good Luck to EVERYONE entered!! I hope to see you there! You won't be able to miss me, I have wild colors in my hair and I'll have a shirt on shamelessly plugging my little bakery.

springlakecake Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:43am
post #128 of 201

okay...now I am worried that I dont have my packet of info! But I guess I am in Michigan, so maybe the mail requires an extra day...I hope! I know they charged my cc though for $50 and the director said I was signed up, so I shouldnt be worried....right??

I would be up for meeting for breakfast or lunch or whatever. If no one would mind my DH being there that is. If you all remember this is my anniversary trip too! LOL! I am not familiar with the area though. I will be staying at cliffbreakers Friday and Saturday.

Is anyone else going to the dinner? I hope to be the one seated right next to Duff. LOL! No really, I hope my cake is good enough that I wont embarrass myself. If you are going what are you wearing? She told me it was "dressy casual" whatever that means.

One last thing. What is everyone's real name? I don't think you will be using your user name there LOL!

momsandraven Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 12:20pm
post #129 of 201

I'll be at the dinner w/DH and my 3 part-time employees. My name is Beth Costa, and like I said I'll be the one with bright pink, orange & blue highlights in my otherwise short brown hair. icon_wink.gif Maybe purple too, I haven't decided yet!! icon_biggrin.gif

And Merissa, I just got my info yesterday and I live in Belvidere, right next to Rockford, so I'd look for yours today probably. It will be so fun to meet you and your hubby!

bgallay Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 1:31pm
post #130 of 201

I don't think I can really set up a time to meet up. We aren't staying in Rockford. I am driving down on my own Friday night to set up and then going home, then heading down on Thursday with my family. I have 2 little kids so I figure they can enjoy the museum while I go to the event with Duff.

I am not planning on going to the dinner either. With a 7 yo and a 4 yo old, that would be too much.

I did get my packet on Monday, so I am sure everyone should have it soon.

I do have one concern - getting the cakes in. My bottom tier is going to be pretty big. Do you think they will have something for us to wheel things in? I am just scared to death to carry that thing in on my own. Do you think we will be able to park close? I mean, 50 people unloading in 2 hours seems like it might be crazy!

marisanovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisanovy Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 1:55pm
post #131 of 201

Although I'm new on the business of cake decorating, I'm full of ideas. Well, you could use one of the landmarks, like the Sears tower, and incorporate some of the Illinoians celebrities (I think that's what you call them, hehe), like Oprah, Lincoln, whoever else, I'm not so good with names. Put them hanging on the outside, or maybe having a big party on the top of the building, or any other place...

Well, that's kind of crazy, just like Duff... I love him, he is great. Say hello for me, please!

Good luck and most of all have lots of fun!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

momsandraven Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 10:21pm
post #132 of 201

bgallay- the museum does have a circle drive right up to the front door, so as long as everyone brings in their stuff and then moves their car, getting close should be no problem. I've never really seen any carts when I've been there (and I have a family membership), so you may want to look in to bringing something of your own for transport. (Maybe buy a cart at Home depot or Sam's Club and return it next week?)

Your kids will have a blast at the museum! If the weather is nice, be sure to let them know about the awesome outdoor play area too. icon_smile.gif

bgallay Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 4:53am
post #133 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsandraven

bgallay- the museum does have a circle drive right up to the front door, so as long as everyone brings in their stuff and then moves their car, getting close should be no problem. I've never really seen any carts when I've been there (and I have a family membership), so you may want to look in to bringing something of your own for transport. (Maybe buy a cart at Home depot or Sam's Club and return it next week?)

Your kids will have a blast at the museum! If the weather is nice, be sure to let them know about the awesome outdoor play area too. icon_smile.gif

Sounds good! I will let my husband know. He will be with the kids (I didn't make that clear - I don't want anyone to think I am setting my kids free while I got to the presentation with Duff!). I am going down SAT morning too.. I don't know why I typed Thursday. It's all this cake making.

I am going to try and get there right around 5. I have a lot of set up to do. Hopefully I can get it all done!

LillTx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LillTx1 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:17am
post #134 of 201

If its called " Rockin in Rockford" then why don't you make a cake of the Hard Rock Cafe that spins around and plays rock music?

springlakecake Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:25am
post #135 of 201

Okay I received my letter yesterday, big relief. Then I decided I better check to make sure that I had my reservations for the hotel, dinner, and my other ticket to the demonstration. I bought them all through Cliffbreakers and the lady taking the reservations didnt really seem to know what she was doing. I am usually not such a worrywart, I guess I am just excited.

I am really excited to see all of these cakes! I am just worried that my cake will look lame! I am pretty happy with it, but I don't know if I picked an "awesome" enough subject. Oh well! It's going to be a lot of fun!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:30pm
post #136 of 201

I am so excited / nervous/ envious for all of you! Say hello to Duff for me and tell him my sister wants to marry him......He's cute but not THAT cute. I think she loves him for his cakes!

momsandraven Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:31pm
post #137 of 201

How about if we plan on meeting for breakfast at 9 AM? Is that too early/late for anyone? There is a breakfast restaurant just a minute or two away from Cliffbreakers called Spring Garden Family Restaurant. It's at 411E Riverside Blvd, Loves Park Illinois, 61111, phone #(815)-282-0212. From Cliffbreakers, you will turn right (towards the river) and go about 1/2 mile or so. It will be on the right side of the street, just before the intersection of Riverside Blvd and N. 2nd St. It's not super classy, but it is budget friendly and the food is pretty good.
Please PM me if you're interested so I can make a reservation. Feel free to still join us if you forget to PM me, but I want to make sure we aren't stuck waiting for a large table.

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:44pm
post #138 of 201

SOOOOOOO excited for all of you HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CAKESHERWAY Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:30pm
post #139 of 201

Cake has fallen apart! Starting over. Have no idea what to do next! Ughh!

springlakecake Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:01am
post #140 of 201

oh no! have a drink, relax, and try again!

My DH and I can try and make breakfast. Let me know if it is a go! I will check again in the morning before we leave. Otherwise we might just show up regardless.

bgallay Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:25am
post #141 of 201

So how many of us will be there?

Do we want to list it out? I would love to meet some of you all tomorrow during set up. I plan to get there close to 5 and it will probably take me a while to set up.

My name is Barbara and I am in Middleton (madison, wi). Since it's just hours before set up... I am doing a "Totally Awesome Halloween" cake - look for the cake with skeleton hands and you should be able to find me (unless someone else has sketon hands).

MBoyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBoyd Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:40am
post #142 of 201

Hey!
I'm doing a totally awesome Halloween cake too!
Mine is sort of "Tim Burton meets Mary Engelbreit" and it is on the tall side...

See you tomorrow !

bgallay Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:31am
post #143 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBoyd

Hey!
I'm doing a totally awesome Halloween cake too!
Mine is sort of "Tim Burton meets Mary Engelbreit" and it is on the tall side...

See you tomorrow !

Cool!!! My kids love NMBC!

momsandraven Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:37am
post #144 of 201

Mine is a tribute to sugar and the Discovery Center slogan which is :Where Learning Comes to Life. So my cake is sugar coming to life from a molecule to a baked cake. It's (hopefully, not finished yet) 6 tiers tall.

I'm hopeful to still make it, but I just got home from the hospital and it's not certain if my Grandma will make it through the night, so please say a prayer for her Ladies!! Her name is Betty (I'm Elizabeth, named after her) and she is such a dear sweet woman, I'm not ready to give her up yet.

I have another cake to set up at 5, so I'll probably be there closer to 6ish to set up at the museum. Oh, and I didn't get the purple in my hair today, but OMG, it is really obnoxious. More than I really wanted or usually have, so please don't think I'm a freak when you see it!! LOL

chrissy410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissy410 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:57am
post #145 of 201

after reading this whole thread I hope you all update us and post you pics from the contest. Now I am really excited to see how they turn out! Good Luck to you all!

springlakecake Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:35pm
post #146 of 201

Okay after listening to your cake ideas...I'm scared! They sound awesome! Oh well, no time for anything else now!

I'll probably get there around 5ish too. My name is Merissa and I am 32 with dark brown hair. Just sort of average/normal looking! LOL. We will probably just plan on going to the breakfast place around 9. I don't know if there is a plan for that or not. I probably wont be able to check back here again before I leave today.

Good luck with the setting up!

BTW: Elizabeth, I will be thinking of you and your grandma.

CAKESHERWAY Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:06pm
post #147 of 201

OMG you guys! I am sitting here just laughing at my "cake". The fondant is all cracked, seams are ripped, things are lopsided. I would have to say, this is my WORST cake thus far! Of course it is. The best cakes are always the ones that don't really matter! icon_smile.gif

I was just swamped this week with cake and cookie orders so I couldn't even start on this until late yesterday afternoon! I did Mickey and Minnie Mouse on vacation but really wanted to do this cool wizard of oz idea I had. No time though. I may very well keep this "caketastophe" in the car when I see your awesome cakes! My husband can't believe I am even going to take it out of the house and my Mom says "just say your kids did the cake!"

Uh, yeah...that bad! Hee hee, at least I am laughing about it! If I don't run into you all tonight, I will be at breakfst in the morning. I am bringing my Mom with me cuz she LOVES the show. Ok, take care everyone!

bgallay Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:19pm
post #148 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKESHERWAY

OMG you guys! I am sitting here just laughing at my "cake". The fondant is all cracked, seams are ripped, things are lopsided. I would have to say, this is my WORST cake thus far! Of course it is. The best cakes are always the ones that don't really matter! icon_smile.gif

I was just swamped this week with cake and cookie orders so I couldn't even start on this until late yesterday afternoon! I did Mickey and Minnie Mouse on vacation but really wanted to do this cool wizard of oz idea I had. No time though. I may very well keep this "caketastophe" in the car when I see your awesome cakes! My husband can't believe I am even going to take it out of the house and my Mom says "just say your kids did the cake!"

Uh, yeah...that bad! Hee hee, at least I am laughing about it! If I don't run into you all tonight, I will be at breakfst in the morning. I am bringing my Mom with me cuz she LOVES the show. Ok, take care everyone!

Awe... I am sure it's not that bad. I was having MAJOR issues too - my fondant seams were VERY visable, and it just wasn't turning into *my* vision*, but everything has come together fairly well. I was feeling REALLY crappy about 1/2 way through. Even my husband was giving me a lecture on how I am not some cake godess - he could see that it just wasn't happening.

Now... if it can make it down I 39 without dying, I will be happy.

Good luck!

bgallay Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 2:33am
post #149 of 201

I am home! Phew...

There were some impressive cakes there!!!

I have my sad little cake in this post. Poor thing looks tiny compared to the 6' cake next to it. Oh well...

I really enjoyed seeing all the cakes. I have to admit that my favorite was another member here - the one who did the Tim Burton meets Mary Englebriet. I like it lots icon_lol.gif

I have some pictures up in my flickr account (I am not sure if I should post it or not though) and will post more when we get back from Rockford tomorrow evening.
LL

Theresa50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Theresa50 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 3:37am
post #150 of 201

bgallay.. is it barbra? just want to say that your cake is really nice .. i love the way you did it.. wow i wish i was good enough to get into contest but maybe one day.. but i want to wish everyone here that is competeing the best of wishes..and elizabeth i will be praying for your grandmother.. good luck everyone..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%