Another Fondant Advice Question

Decorating By cakedreamer13 Updated 12 Sep 2007 , 1:14pm by cakedreamer13

cakedreamer13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedreamer13 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 7

So I was wondering would it be alright to refrigerate a cake that has been covered in Fondant?

Cause I noticed one time when I refrigerated a cake that was iced in buttercream it sweated, had condensation on it after I had refridgerated it. My cake ended up looking like it had freckles.
I wonder if it will do the same thing or can I leave it sitting out? It will only be a about a day that it will be out.

See this coming weekend I will be working on a cake for a coworker, it will be the first time I'm going to use fondant to cover the cake, but I won't have time to cover and decorate the cake all in one stretch of time. Cause of course I have to work this weekend.

So will anyone experienced with fondant help me?

6 replies
jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 7

I made a cake a few weeks ago that was covered in fondant. I left it in a box on my counter for a few days and it was alright. I wouldn't know what the refrigerator would do to it. Wouldn't that speed up the hardening process?

cakedreamer13 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlg

I made a cake a few weeks ago that was covered in fondant. I left it in a box on my counter for a few days and it was alright. I wouldn't know what the refrigerator would do to it. Wouldn't that speed up the hardening process?

I was thinking more along the lines of food safety rather than the hardening process.

Well thank you for the reply.

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 1:00pm
post #4 of 7

Leave it out...the cake will be fine... and yes you will get condensation on the fondant and it turns it into a sticky mess HTH

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 7

As long as you are just using buttercream to fill the cake you should be fine to leave it out for a few days. I never refrigerate my fondant cakes b/c I have issues with condensation but I know there are plenty of people who do refrigerate fondant cakes.

courtney

WildWires Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WildWires Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 7

CakeDreamer13,
As you stated, when you refrigerate fondant it gets cold, but it also sweats with condensation when removed and comes up to room temperature. When you cover your cakes with buttercream, do you leave them out? The same goes for fondant. One of the great features of fondant is it actually extends shelf life of cake products because of its sealing properties. I try if at all possible not to refrigerate fondant because it destroys your finish manking it tacky and as you stated can leave a spotted effect. Be assured, as you buttercream seals in the moisture, so will the fondant. Hope this helps... icon_cool.gif

cakedreamer13 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 1:14pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all for the knowledge, I really appreciate the help. I love this community and all of its help, suggestions, and sincere responses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%