Aluminum Foil Safe For Cakeboards?

Decorating By mdutcher Updated 11 Nov 2006 , 9:14pm by bethola

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 3:46am
post #1 of 16

OK, I've read a few threads that say that some foils are not food safe (because lead content, or something), and some say not even food safe foil is ok to put your cakes on. I've always covered my cakeboards with regular aluminum foil (in the aisle with wax paper, plastic wrap, etc.) I was just curious how many of you have heard of this and is it really safe for putting cake (or any other food, for that matter) in direct contact?

15 replies
sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 3:48am
post #2 of 16

i have been reading the same threads and i am totally confused !!

now i really dont know what to use!!!

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 4:00am
post #3 of 16

I don't understand why something like Reynolds aluminun foil would be considered not safe when it is meant to wrap, store, and cook food with. Wilton's Fanci Foil is FDA approved for use with food as well.

The only foils or products that should be a concern are the ones that are made with no intent to use with food--florist foil, wrapping paper, etc. But those can be easily remedied by cover those with saran wrap (which is intended for use with food) or food safe doilies.

But then we are all concerned with foils and then don't think twice about painting away with our non-toxic luster dusts! icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif Myself included. People have used florist foil, contact paper, etc. for years. I prefer my freezer paper because I can get a lot for real cheap! thumbs_up.gif

mdutcher Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 4:02am
post #4 of 16

patticakesnc just posted this on a different thread: (sorry, don't know yet how to grab a quote from a seperate thread, so I copied and pasted!)

Aluminium can cause a reaction in food. Just as if you leave a spoon in anything milk or egg based and put it in the fridge it will cause it to become toxic. I have never heard of anyone dying from it but it can make you sick. Since foil is aluminum it has the same reaction from my understanding.

Here is a quote from the following site link

aluminum foil may not be the wisest choice for food storage?

Aluminum is the most prevalent metal on earth and can be found virtually everywhere: soil, air, water, and the most common method of human exposure, food. Although intake amounts from foil and cookware are usually written off as insignificant, it is still unknown exactly what harm excess aluminum could be doing to our bodies.

It is known that the longer food is cooked or stored in aluminum, the more it will suck up the metal. It is also know that acidic food (such as tomato products) in direct contact with aluminum foil will corrode the foil and cause holes, defeating its purpose and giving the dish an unpleasant, metallic taste. Glass containers will better keep foods for storage. If you use a piece of aluminum foil to keep a plate warm, first place a paper towel or layer of plastic wrap in between so its not in direct contact with the food.

Besides the above, have you ever had a piece of aluminum foil accidentally pinched between your teeth? Ouch!

http://www.marilynfarms.com/in.....cts_id=391

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 4:06am
post #5 of 16

I just sent an email to Reynolds to ask them to clarify all this information for us, hopefully we will get a reply soon. Janice

missyek Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 4:10am
post #6 of 16

So then I guess we just chalk it up to one more thing that may or may not kill us in the end. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif At this rate, I think I will be slowly dying of a hundred different things--storing my food in aluminum, microwaving my food in plastic dishes, ha--standing in front of the microwave while it is on, eating processed foods, using my cell phone... Ah, but I will die happy! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

missyek Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 4:12am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

I just sent an email to Reynolds to ask them to clarify all this information for us, hopefully we will get a reply soon. Janice

Thanks veejaytx! Hopefully we get some good information!

SwampWitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwampWitch Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 4:13am
post #8 of 16

Maybe this will help. It is from a very reputable source (check out the experts and contributors):

http://mycusthelp.com/FOODSAFETY/supportkbitem.asp?sSessionID=&Inc=2750&sFilA=Topic&sFilB=Sub-Topic&sFilC=&KEY=aluminum%20foil%20safety

The WHO says that adults can consume more than 50 milligrams a day safely. One antacid tablet may contain 50 milligrams, and a buffered aspirin might have 10 to 20 milligrams of aluminum. If you use uncoated aluminum pans exclusively for cooking and food storage, you would consume 3.5 milligrams a day.

Some foods absorb more aluminum than others. The link has more information.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

Canela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Canela Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 4:13am
post #9 of 16

I found something on this page: http://experts.about.com/q/Food-Safety-Issues-767/food-preservation.htm

It says:

Quote:
Quote:

Expert: Carol Schlitt
Date: 5/9/2005
Subject: food preservation

Question
Hello Carol,

Today at noon I baked some slices of eggplant on aluminum foil and used the same foil to wrap them and to keep them in the refrigerator. This evening I noticed that some parts of the eggplant turned blueish.

Question 1: Are these blueish parts still good to eat?
Question 2: Is it safe to keep food wraped in aluminum foil for days in the refrigerator?

Thanks,

Carlos

Answer
Hi Carlos,

Eggplant -- yum!!!

Aluminum foil often reacts to acidic foods such as tomatos, and other higher acid vegetables. This is why we don't recommend placing aluminum foil directly on acidic foods as it can react with the food causing pitting of the foil and blue/black spots on the food.

While this is not dangerous, it is not pleasant to see and eat. The blueish color should be scraped off as it may cause an undesireable flavor.

It is safe to keep food wrapped in foil -- just not acidic foods. We recommend cooked foods, whether wrapped in foil or other packaging, only be kept in the refrigerator 3-4 days. If you want to keep cooked foods longer, they should be frozen.

Hope this answers your question. If you should have more questions, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Carol C. Schlitt
Extension Educator, Nutrition and Wellness
University of Illinois Extension

mdutcher Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 4:16am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyek

So then I guess we just chalk it up to one more thing that may or may not kill us in the end. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif At this rate, I think I will be slowly dying of a hundred different things--storing my food in aluminum, microwaving my food in plastic dishes, ha--standing in front of the microwave while it is on, eating processed foods, using my cell phone... Ah, but I will die happy! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

LMAO!!!!!!!! While eating all the trans fats we put in our cakes, right?!! Oh my gosh!
I not only stand in front of the microwave, I peak in!!!!!!!!!!!!
I guess I'll use what I use 'cause that's what I choose!

Canela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Canela Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 4:20am
post #11 of 16

After all, people has used foild to wrap their food for so long... If it were bad, somebody would have noticed it long ago icon_smile.gif

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 4:26am
post #12 of 16

its nothing new to hear something isnt good for yuo and then ten years later it was really a mistake....i use reynolds foil.....dont plan on changing.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 8:38pm
post #13 of 16

I'm sorry, but every time I read a thread that CONTRADICTS COMMON SENSE, I get the urge to write a thread on the whole truth, and nothing but the truth:

CAKE IS BAD FOR YOU. ICING IS WORSE FOR YOU. NO ONE SHOULD EAT CAKE. IT HAS NO NUTRITIONAL VALUE AND IT SHOULD BE BANNED FROM ALL HUMAN DIETS. IT'S LOADED WITH SUGAR, FAT, AND EMPTY CALORIES. THOSE WHO BAKE, SERVE, OR SELL CAKE ARE NO BETTER THAN THE FAST FOOD MOGULS OF THE WORLD--THEY CONTRIBUTE TO OBESITY, HEART DISEASE, TOOTH DECAY, HIGH CHOLESTEROL, DIABETES, AND SUGAR RAGE.

For crying out loud, most, if not all, of us bake our cakes in ALUMINUM PANS, don't we?????? How could placing such a cake on plain, pure aluminum foil-- be a health issue???

Sorry, but careful, thoughtful, informed, intelligent baking and cooking is one thing--paranoia is another.

My .02
Rae

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 8:48pm
post #14 of 16

It is not the foil under cakes that cause me concern. It is the possible small slice that can be consumed by others that can and have caused damage to our intestines. I know for a fact that there was a 2 year old twenty years ago who's mom put foil under her childs birthday cake. The child ate a small sliver and dies. Later an autopsy was performed and the foil had cut the instetines and he bleed to death. I will not use foil under cakes for that reason. Just my 2 cents worth.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 9:01pm
post #15 of 16

Blakescakes, I'm with you!

Nothing from Reynolds, but then it is a weekend, and a very large company, so I'm not surprised, it may take a few days to hear from them. I only emailed them because I thought it might be a way to stop the nonsense! I will let you know when/if I get a reply.

Just so you will know where I stand...as if it matters...I plan to bake in an aluminum pan (Wilton), use plain old Crisco to make my BCI, cover my cake board in wrapping paper covered over with Contact, and wrap the cake in Saran and Foil to protect it in the freezer, and use my Microwave while I stand there and watch my marshmallows puff up in a plastic bowl to make MMF.

So if you don't ever hear from me again, you can pick one and blame it on that. Janice

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 9:14pm
post #16 of 16

I cover my cake boards in FLORIST foil (like they put around flowers) because it is textured and you can get it in colors and SOMETIMES I can find it covered in vinyl. If it's not covered, I cover it with clear contact paper. I don't do it because of health issues. I do it because I think of someone cutting into the cake and "accidently" getting some foil in their mouth! YIKES! It makes my teeth HURT to think about that! Just a personal preference, though.

I'm a nurse and can attest to the fact that health issues follow a 20 year pattern. Years ago, we weren't even supposed to cook in aluminum because it caused arthritis. I HAVE arthritis now.....was it my cookware? NOPE! It was BAD genes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%