Baby Shower Cake For Dentists

Decorating By julesn20716 Updated 14 Sep 2007 , 3:23am by julesn20716

julesn20716 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesn20716 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 12:29am
post #1 of 12

I've been asked to make a cake for a baby shower at the end of this month. The parents to be are both dentists and the shower is being thrown by all of the staff at the dental practice. I have free reign on the design for the cake - which is why I'm stuck! Do any of you have any cute ideas on how to incorporate the dental theme in a small way with either a bit of humor or whimsy that won't over take the whole baby shower theme? Or do you think I should just forget the whole dental thing altogether and do a more traditional shower cake?

11 replies
jwong9664 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jwong9664 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 12:39am
post #2 of 12

what about doing something w/ a nursery pillow, ya know like how you put 'baby' teeth underneath them...with like a baby sleeping on top. i don't know... something along those lines, sorry it's a half-baked idea lol!

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 12:46am
post #3 of 12

How about a baby face with 2 small front teeth?
I'm with jwong 9664 halfed baked idea! lol

Or maybe the tooth-fairy holding the baby.

Or like jwong 9664 said with the pillow idea, but the tooth-fairy putting a baby under the pillow instead of teeth!

Good luck!

lu

babybundt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybundt Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 12:49am
post #4 of 12

maybe a regular shower cake with a sleeping baby on it. instead of the baby sleeping with a teddy bear it could be sleeping with a toothbrush....is that too lame? icon_smile.gif

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 12:58am
post #5 of 12

Maybe a pillow cake with a baby on top, sitting on a seperator plate with pillars and plate base with fondant/gumpaste teeth underneath (just a few laying on the base plate, decorate the base plate with curling ribbon in the colors you use for the cake or the shower). If you can find it, decorating the cake board with a night time wrapping paper (blue with stars and/or moons) would really tie in the toothfairy theme giving you a dental theme cake. I would also suggest to use the shortest pillars; this way, the teeth under the pillow is more realistic and not too far from the pillow. You could do a either a rectangular or the pillow that everyone is sitting the tiaras on. For a saying you can say Smile! You're about to become parents! Congratulations! (dentist, nice smile, get it) Either on the board in fondant letters or on the pillow.

diamondjacks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondjacks Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 1:17am
post #6 of 12

I LOVE the idea with the pillow and the tooth fairy replacing the teeth with a baby!!!!! OMG that is so precious!!! GL I hope it turns out!!!

unixboymd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unixboymd Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:32am
post #7 of 12

Would it be possible to make a "tooth" shaped cake with a baby on top?

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixboymd

Would it be possible to make a "tooth" shaped cake with a baby on top?

thats what i was thinking or mabe hollow out some of the tooth and put the baby in it,

DCHall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DCHall Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 7:28pm
post #9 of 12

I like the idea of the tooth fairy putting a baby under the pillow. But the idea of a tooth with a baby on/in it is really cute too. You can make a more traditional cake, and make just the topper the toothfairy and baby and then maybe just put a few teeth around the cake for decoration. I did a book theme baby shower cake in my photos. You could do something similar but with teeth instead of books and letters.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 7:38pm
post #10 of 12

I really like the idea of the tooth fairy putting a baby under the pillow too, that would be just tooo cute! You could make a small fairy and just have baby feet showing out from under the "pillow" on one side of the sheet cake (if that's what you are going to do).

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 8:38pm
post #11 of 12

I'm sorry, I think they are all fabulous ideas, and I think the baby under the pillow being delivered by the tooth fairy is just adorable, but I can see where some might think it a bit morbid. I mean, who puts a baby "under" a pillow?! icon_razz.gif

I'd ask around the office and see if the people throwing the shower want a dentist theme incorporated, if they do, I think some wonderful ideas have been given. The baby being delivered by the toothfairy (instead of a stork) is SO cute, but maybe have her taking the teeth from under the pillow, and placing the baby on top. icon_wink.gif

I can't wait to see pictures!!

Holly

julesn20716 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesn20716 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 3:23am
post #12 of 12

Thanks everyone for the inspiration. I do love the tooth fairy idea. I'm talking to the girl who's organizing the shower this weekend so I'll run the ideas by her too. I'll post a pic when I finally get it done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%