Contact Paper For Cake Board

Decorating By debilou68 Updated 13 Nov 2006 , 4:58pm by debilou68

debilou68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debilou68 Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 9

Hi, again, everybody,, one quick question,, I know it has been answered before but I can't find my notes on this,,, is it okay(food safe) to put cake directly on contac paper... I sure hope so.. thanks,, Everybody have a great weekend..

8 replies
hope22023 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hope22023 Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 9

according to the packaging it is NOT food safe. However, many CCers use it and have never had a problem.

debilou68 Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 9

okay,, thanks a bunch,, thats what i was thinking.

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 9

its not supposed to be food safe but I've used it without any problem. HTH

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 9

I don't think it's been proven food safe but a lot of people use it.

debilou68 Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 9

okay,, thanks,,
Oh man, I;ve got two stars now,, when did that happen? Cool!!

SwampWitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwampWitch Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 9

If you call the manufacturers of contact paper, they will tell you they have no policy about putting food directly on contact paper, since it is not meant for food.

Please don't serve cake on contact paper, or shelf liner, because it can easily contan lead, mercury, known endocrine disruptors, carcinogens, phylates, and many other poisons. It's believed that small amounts can can long-term health problems that might not show up for years.

Fats in foods will absorb the poisons from the plastics. Shelf paper is considered safe for storing dishes, since dishes and metal are not absorbent.

Here's some information about vinyl in general. With all the discussion about "the poison plastic" you are taking a GREAT risk by putting food one labelled "non-food safe."

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/campaigns/toxics/polyvinyl-chloride/the-poison-plastic

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 1:13am
post #8 of 9

I called the makers of Contac paper regarding placing food directly on it. They were very helpful and stated that there should be no problem with short term food contact on CLEAR contac paper because it has no inks or dyes on it. They did advise me not to place food in direct contact with colored or printed contac paper because of the inks and dyes used to make the patterns.

I put all of my cakes on plain boards before putting them on their final decorative boards, so the only food contact is my piped or applied border (which rarely makes it onto the serving plate, anyway). If I'm using a decorative paper or foil, I put a piece of clear contac paper in the shape of the cake tier on the final board--it helps make a great "target" for placing the cake in the center of the board, too!

Rae

debilou68 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 4:58pm
post #9 of 9

Okay,, thanks everyone,, I opted not to use contac paper just to be on the safe side..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%