Cost Of Scratch Cakes Versus Box Mix Cakes

Business By kellyshe Updated 14 Sep 2007 , 11:16pm by feefoo78

kellyshe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyshe Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 34

I have read about scratch versus box over and over. The last one I read (which was from Feb) stated it was cheaper to make box mixes than scratch? Can anyone attest to this? I also use box mixes and I know a lot of people really like the taste. I also use the double chocolate cake recipe from epicurious. That's about the only scratch cake I've found that is good (although I havne't experimented much).

Anyway....I was kind of surprised to hear that box mixes are cheaper? to make one box mix versus the double chocolate scratch cake (which makes more batter) it costs more (unless you also add in there if I am only making one so I have extra semi sweet chocolate and butter milk left over).

Can anyone comment to this? I'd be greatly appreciative!

Sheri
PS. I hope to be completely legal within the next two weeks!

33 replies
SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 34

I'd love to hear the consensus on this as well - butter, milk and eggs are sooo expensive now I don't know how ANY of us are making ANYTHING!!

grumpyx07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grumpyx07 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 34

I know where I live box mix is WAY cheaper. For each box it's only $1, all the ingredients to make from scratch would probably be more than 10x that. Plus, I spend enough on decorating tools, molds, cutters, etc. I always use box mix, everyone says that it taste like it's from scratch.

kkenyon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkenyon Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 34

I use box mixes all the time. I get them for 79 cents each, so I buy a case at time now. I get more compliments on them, people saying they have never had such a moist cake. (shhh dont tell them its a box) haha

chestercheeto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chestercheeto Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 34

i'm an occasional home-baker and i find it really depends on the recipe. i buy eggs at Smart 'n Final, butter and vanilla at Costco, and other dairy (buttermilk, sour cream, etc) at Trader Joe's. I also buy some ingredients at Target.

here are the costs for some of the recipes i use:

cake mix: $1.61 (if i get my mixes at Target for $0.99, or on sale at the market for $1.00 - regular is $2.99)

Strawberry Cake posted here by Steady2Hands: $3.03 (white cake mix base with a packet of Jello)

Hersheys Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake (from scratch): $2.80 (with Hersheys cocoa, more if i use Droste or Ghirardelli)

Toba Garrett's Moist Yellow Cake: $3.85

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 34

I guess it all depends on the cake you are making. If you make a chocolate cake from a mix and only add the ingredients called for in the instructions (water, oil, eggs) then it is probably cheaper than making a chocolate cake from scratch, where you are adding in your own flour, sugar, chocolate, etc....

You also have to look at whether or not you are purchasing bulk cake mix or individual boxes OR bulk flour, sugar, etc.....as opposed to buying 1 lbs or 5 lbs bags.

I think it really depends on the extra ingredients you are adding to the cake that can make it expensive, whether you adding them to a box mix or a scratch mix.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 34

For many, using only a box mix without adding any extra ingredients to add more flavor and/or batter, mixes are less expensive.

However, I agree with you about scratch being less expensive. My recipes make what 1 1/2 boxes will make with the "extender". Some of my recipes would take two full boxes, plus extenders to make the same amount. I also use fewer eggs, butter, buttermilk, etc. for one batch than it takes to use two boxes with or without the extender or other flavor enhancers.

For some, it comes down mostly to what they are accustomed to tasting and using. I know several people that can bake wonderfully with a mix, but can't bake from scratch. This goes for a scratch baker unable to bake well with a mix also.

This type of thread always starts a big debate on which is better. Whatever works for a person and their family and customers is what is better. I hope no one gives you any difficulty for asking this question. It's valid and, as far as I can tell, was not meant to be anything more than that, a question.

Michele

HBcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HBcakes Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 7:20pm
post #8 of 34

I'm with the box mix too. Around here it's only a little over a $1 per box, and eggs here are also very cheap, so it saves me money for sure, as well as time. I've only heard good things as far as how moist the cakes are, etc. so I don't feel a need to change anything yet. My experimenting with scratch cakes hasn't gone terrific in the past so right now I'm just sticking with what I know works... it's box mix for me!!

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 7:23pm
post #9 of 34

I primarily use box mixes for the basic flavors; chocolate, devil's food, white, butter yellow, strawberry, marble, triple chocolate fudge, and spice cake. When a customer orders something ELSE, I go scratch but the cost goes up. I have about 4 different super markets within 3 miles of each other that are constantly competing! At any given time they have their box mixes on sale. I generally spend about $1.00 per box. Whenever there is a sale, I buy about $40.00 worth of box mixes!! I buy the most of the one I use the most (strawberry) then 2nd most, 3rd most, etc. The last time I did a scratch cake it was a full sheet carrot cake (two layers) and I needed to make eight batches of mix and two batches of scratch cream cheese icing as well. The raw ingredients for that cost over $100!!! And that's just buying generic EVERYTHING. No Sunmaid raisins in that mix, boy!!

Scratch mix definitely costs more...

And I've been told my cakes are the best anyone has ever had!! So that goes to show that a good quality box mix can go a long way!

Danielle111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle111 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 7:27pm
post #10 of 34

I feel like such a newbie! What's an "extender"? icon_redface.gif

pinksugargirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinksugargirl Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 7:28pm
post #11 of 34

I have often pondered on this same question. Box or Scratch that is. And anyway I have found that definately box is cheaper. When I have to use a denser cake for carving such as a chocolate pound cake,etc... I spend 5 times as much on ingredients as I would on just purchasing the cake mix for 89 cents. And no one knows that it is a box and I always get told I make the best cakes they have ever tasted. They ask "How do you do it?" I never tell. LOL icon_smile.gif

pinklady1356 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklady1356 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 7:28pm
post #12 of 34

Same here I am with box and i have heard alot of good comments on my cake.

SMILE..

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 7:32pm
post #13 of 34

i bake from scratch and with the types of ingredients i use, it is MUCH more costly, but this in my opinion, can be passed on the the customer. mine are happy to pay for prices i ask even if it is higher because they enjoy the product they can get from me that is difficult to find elsewhere. i also take more pride in my work now, than i did before when i used only mixes.. This scenario holds true not for everyone, but definately for ME.

WildWires Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WildWires Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 7:38pm
post #14 of 34

SugarFlowers is definitely on to something here. I think it is going to depend on many things:

Location, clientele, comfort level of decorator, cost factor, and many more things.

I know for me, it is all about what the person wants. I do about a 70/30% mix of box mix vs. scratch. Scratch is good, but cost more, are they willing to pay for this? And along with the 70% of box mixes I use, I do change the playing field with add ins and for that matter subtractions. Do this, take a box mix that calls for 1 1/4 cup water, 3 eggs, and 1/2 cup oil/butter. OK, reduce water to 1 cup, 3 eggs, and use 3/4 stick of butter (melted). The texture of the cake changes making it less obvious of a "box mix". I have played with many different mixes and I have made the Strawberry box mix, used 1 cup of water, 3 eggs, and no extra oil or butter and the cake come out with a very vibriant strawberry flavor. With some experimenting, the individual will find there own style and comfort zone and figure out what works for them... Luv U Guys... icon_lol.gif

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 7:57pm
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

i bake from scratch and with the types of ingredients i use, it is MUCH more costly, but this in my opinion, can be passed on the the customer. mine are happy to pay for prices i ask even if it is higher because they enjoy the product they can get from me that is difficult to find elsewhere. i also take more pride in my work now, than i did before when i used only mixes.. This scenario holds true not for everyone, but definately for ME.

Melysa, I totally agree. I bake mostly from scratch and my customers know that. So they know that the cost is passed on to them. Even I do use a box mix, it's still not just a box mix, I never bake according to the directions. So the cost for those extra ingredients are passed on. So for me, it's really going to come out about the same because I'm still going to have to buy all the same ingredients whether I make a cake from scratch or start with a box mix. I made my first wedding cake this weekend and was surprised that I only used two boxes of cake flour. I'm sure that if I had made the cake from box mix, it would have come out to more than those two boxes of cake flour. The eggs, butter and sugar would've pretty much been the same, maybe just a tad less.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 8:18pm
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

This is my feeling too. thumbs_up.gif

Jorre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jorre Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 8:20pm
post #17 of 34

Box mixes are definately cheaper. I just paid $0.25 a box and bought a pantry full..I'll go back to the store tonight and get a ton more before the dealy they are running making them so cheap is over.

If you pay attention to all the deals/sales the grocery stores run, boxed mixes can be had for next to nothing...you just have to buy lots so that you don't run out before they run another deal.

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 12:02am
post #18 of 34

For the most part, I like the reliability of the doctored box mixes. The only cakes I do from complete scratch are carrot, genoise, victoria, sponge and fruitcake. For me, I hate the measuring and sifting and all that. It's more of a time thing. I've also found that my friends and family prefer the more American box cake to the sponge cakes and old fashioned butter cakes.

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 3:49am
post #19 of 34

The box cakes are definitely cheaper. I can buy them at Walmart for around 80 cents, sometimes less. I usually bake from scratch and sometimes it can get expensive--go through tons of eggs and cake flour. I prefer scratch, but won't hesitate to use the box mixes to save time with big jobs or when in a pinch. I used doctored box mixes for one of my flavors when I had 18 cakes to make, and it was a huge time saver. Otherwise I would have lost my mind making scratch cakes for days. Sometimes those scratch cakes just won't cooperate either and the box mix saves the day. icon_biggrin.gif

teenycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teenycakes Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:06pm
post #20 of 34

Kellyshe,

My husband had me cost out every ingredient for my scratch recipes, (he's a finance maniac), and it is more costly to bake from scratch. The plus however, is there are no chemicals in your cake. I use only scratch recipes, but charge more because all my cakes are homemade.

icon_biggrin.gif

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:42pm
post #21 of 34

If the total cost of a box cake (say 2 boxes) is $2 and the total cost of same size scratch case is $5, I think nearly any customer is going to want to pay $3 more for a scratch cake. So in my mind, it's not the ingredients issue at all. It's the time. I can throw a box mix in the mixer and in less than ten minutes be pouring it in my pan. It's the time that it takes to mix from scratch that is going to run the price up.
I think the simple flavors are pretty darn good from a box--my fave is Duncan Hines. There are some cakes that just aren't very good from a box. Carrot cake from a box. UGH! thumbsdown.gif
One thing, though, I've never gotten a box to make an 8 inch cake to be four inches tall using a box. It just ain't a gonna happen.

kellyshe Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 6:26pm
post #22 of 34

Thanks everyone for being so kind in your responses. I was really curious. Everyone loves the cakes I make (enhance box mix, be it Betty Crocker, Dunkin Hines or Pillsbury) and they all think it's from scratch. The local grocery store has them on sale for 80 cent a box (that's the cheapest I've seen around my area) so I'm going to Load up!

One last question...what if you need 1.5 cake mixes (enhanced ones). Can you open a bag of box mix, weigh half (or 1/3 or 1/4) and put the unused part in a zippy bag for later? I'd hate to use 2 boxes and have leftover batter. Any thoughts?

kellyshe Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 6:38pm
post #23 of 34

Thanks everyone for being so kind in your responses. I was really curious. Everyone loves the cakes I make (enhance box mix, be it Betty Crocker, Dunkin Hines or Pillsbury) and they all think it's from scratch. The local grocery store has them on sale for 80 cent a box (that's the cheapest I've seen around my area) so I'm going to Load up!

One last question...what if you need 1.5 cake mixes (enhanced ones). Can you open a bag of box mix, weigh half (or 1/3 or 1/4) and put the unused part in a zippy bag for later? I'd hate to use 2 boxes and have leftover batter. Any thoughts?

rajinaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rajinaren Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 7:17pm
post #24 of 34

How do you enhance box mixes?

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 7:32pm
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickster

One thing, though, I've never gotten a box to make an 8 inch cake to be four inches tall using a box. It just ain't a gonna happen.

My 8" cakes from a box come out 4 1/2 to 5" tall. Do you bake at 325 and use magic strips? None of the cake is wasted to trimming that way. But I also torte my cakes, 4 layers of cake, and 3 of filling. The 9" ones are 4" tall, maybe 1/8" short. Just a couple of ideas to toss out.

Kelly, when a cake calls for less than a full box or less than two full boxes, I just make cupcakes out of the extra. You can freeze them for tastings if you are a legal kitchen, or, as in my case, I just pipe some leftover icing on them and the kids get dessert! 1/2 box should give you about a dozen cupcakes. Or you can make a 6" round to freeze for a cake emergency or a last-minute gift, or as an extra cake to practice a new technique with. HTH

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 9:23pm
post #26 of 34

My 8" cakes from a box come out 4 1/2 to 5" tall. Do you bake at 325 and use magic strips?

I use the strips but just learned about cranking the temp down. I don't tend to get a high center, I have more of a problem with one side being taller than the other so having to trim for that. I asked hubby to see if there's something about the oven or racks not being level.
I don't usually torte. I tried a strawberry torte on a fondant cake recently. I've never had trouble with bulging and it was the first time I had bulging. I'm thinking I got it too thick or got my buttercream "dam" too close to the edge.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 12:58am
post #27 of 34

The key to getting your cakes nice and straight and tall is to use enough batter in the pan -- fill it 2/3 full. Wilton has this chart that gives you a guideline for how many cups of batter to use:
http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/cakedata.cfm

My tutorial shows how to level the cake while still in the pan so you get a perfectly straight cake:
www.cakeboss.com/preventbulging.aspx

And the only way to know if box or scratch is more expensive is to price out your ingredients. Do it! Learn it! Love it! ?Coupon=CC2015"icon_wink.gif" Whether you use a spreadsheet, CakeBoss, or a pen & pencil, I believe it is vitally important for everyone who sells cakes to understand how much they are spending on their materials. thumbs_up.gif

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:16am
post #28 of 34

OK this is what i did just the other night, i broke down the cost completely for the cost of 1 cake mix, no oven time, or electricity for mixing it.

It costs me 1.60.

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 3:25am
post #29 of 34

There was a question on page 1-what is an extender that was never answered, I'm also clueless about what it means. Could someone please tell us!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 4:15am
post #30 of 34

'Extenders' is a common way to refer to adding additional ingredients to a cake mix to 1) make more batter, 2) change the flavor, 3) give it a more homemade touch. Here are some popular recipes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1953-Super-Enhanced-Cake-Formula.html
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1599-Enhanced-Cake-Formula.html
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%