Tasting Survey

Business By unixboymd Updated 5 Mar 2014 , 8:55pm by juliefuller254

unixboymd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unixboymd Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 5:17am
post #1 of 7

Hi all,

I'm trying to come up with questions for a survey I want to create. My plan is to give survey cards to people that I've given samples / tastings to.

I figure that by having a set-in-stone questionnaire it will give me a way to get improve on things like flavor, color, taste, fillings, designs, etc. Instead of just having people tell me " It's great ".

I'd like this survey to be as generic as possible since I will try to use it to cover cakes, cookies, pies, candies, snacks, appetizers, etc. But it's ok if I have to create a couple of different ones, since I don't think an appetizer survey will cover a cake survey. icon_biggrin.gif

What questions would you ask your customers or what questions should I ask on the survey?

Thanks!

6 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 6:00am
post #2 of 7

unixboymd,

Mmmmm, sorry nothing is coming to mind...

Will sleep on it.

I came across your post about the 1/2 dream whip and 1/2 buttercream recipe sometime ago. Before I could copy it, my computer died.

Couldn't find it again, until now. Couldn't remember your screen name, only your avatar.

So thanks for posting!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 7:28am
post #3 of 7

The statistical normal response for surveys is usually less than 30% will reply. Some of those will only reply if they are unhappy is some way.

It may take a lot of time for very little return. Most people respond better to personal contact, and will answer questions.

As for judgements about your product, If YOU like it and are satisfied that it is the kind of product you can be proud to serve, the 'just do it'.

Not everyone will have the same exact opinion of any specific recipe or flavor combination. One person may say 'it's fine, I want that' and another might say 'OMG that is amazing'. You can only really go by what you believe to be your best product.

Good Luck.

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 7:43am
post #4 of 7

unixboymd,

I have done this before, but because I really wanted to know the answers and not have to deal with that 30% response problem, I threw a tasting party. I invited a 6-8 people and asked them each to bring a friend. (Most people won't pass up free goodies) Anyway, I passed out bite size pieces of each item with a drink of water in between to cleanse their palate. I handed out a short questionnaire with each item. The questions I remember were:

Was the flavor too weak, too strong, or just right?
Was the texture good? If not, was it too dry or too moist?
Was the appearance pleasant?
Would you request this item?
Would you give this as a gift?

I also asked for feedback about the party itself. The most important thing I learned was not to have too many items. Six was about the max. Also, I brought a few samples of completed items, but many said they would have liked to have seen photos of others, as well. Afterwards we had cold beverages and leftover samples. It went over very well.

Good luck,
Kathi

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:40am
post #5 of 7

If it's for people who have already been to a tasting/sampling, here's a survey method I learned a few years ago. My day jobs in sales/marketing have including survey work, so I have a "little" experience in this. Keeping it simple, just ask them 3 questions:

1) On a scale of 1 to 10, I rate this (sampling, cake, food, info, whatever) a _____.

2) I would have rated it lower except for _____________________.

3) I would have rated it higher except for _____________________.

Then you can add a space for add'l comments. This will give you the best and worst about the sampling, which are the things you want to know about. People tend to ignore or shy away from surveys that are too long and too specific. You want to know the best of what you do so you can keep doing it, and you want to know the worst of what you do so you can fix it.

juliefuller254 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliefuller254 Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 7

Great Questions!!

juliefuller254 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliefuller254 Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 8:55pm
post #7 of 7

I really like this idea and they are great questions! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%