Photo Cake Disaster

Decorating By awnee Updated 12 Sep 2007 , 6:58pm by EatYourCake

awnee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awnee Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 12:25am
post #1 of 15

icon_sad.gif Hello you all! Well I did a photocake...I got the image from the local Walmart. They said all they had was the rice paper. After I got it on the cake it looked just great!
But after about 10 mins small tiny bubbles began popping up all over the photo area.
Does anybody know what may have caused this? and how to correct it? Did I do something wrong? Is it the paper?
This was sort of a "trial run" as per the photo cake to iron out any possible bugs and disasters!
I have to do a photo cake for my mom's upcoming meeting and I do not want it to bubble up.
Any thoughts/advice/help is greatly needed and appreciated! Thanks so much!
Awnee

14 replies
JILBRY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JILBRY Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 3:27am
post #2 of 15

here's a bump for you.
I am going to be doing one soon and would like to know too before it happens.

aurasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aurasmom Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 3:31am
post #3 of 15

Did you let the icing crust before you put the picture on the cake. I have not used the photos, but have painted pictures on the rice paper and put it on a cake. I always let my icing crust.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:09am
post #4 of 15

it just means that there were air bubbles underneath your photo, you need to make sure that you smooth it out really well and get all of those air bubbles out. I usually start on one end and then smooth and lay down the rest of the photo as I smooth.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 6:51am
post #5 of 15

I would say its moisture from the cake messing with the rice paper, as that is NOT the usual medium for an edible image. Not saying it won't work ever - but look what happened to you. Make sure you take the next one to a store that has the frosting sheets (around here its the safeway and fred meyer) and you should have no problems.

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 10:36am
post #6 of 15

I just did a rice paper photo cake Friday. The place I bought it from said not to have the buttercream crusted but fresh. I had little bubbles too but nothing that really interfered with the looks of it that much.
I did notice some swirls on his cheek towards her chin. I think it may have been me smoothing it with my fingers but not sure. Everyone loved it.
Susie
LL
LL

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 10:56am
post #7 of 15

Rice paper is commonly used here for edible photos. You want the icing fresh and if the photo is large, place the center on first and let it settle on the cake from the middle out. I've used them with success. I've had the frosting crust, then I "painted" the back of the rice paper photo with karo syrup and then applied it. I haven't had any problems, except you can't cut thru the darn things like the frosting sheets.

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 7:51pm
post #8 of 15

I've never used rice paper before. But with the regular edible image paper, I was told to freeze it first for about a minute. It makes it easy to peel off the backing paper and also makes it firm enough to really smooth out without tearing it.

I've only done one edible image cake and it came out cool. Not happy with the depth of color of those images, but it's what the customer wants!!

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 8:41pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

I would say its moisture from the cake messing with the rice paper, as that is NOT the usual medium for an edible image. Not saying it won't work ever - but look what happened to you. Make sure you take the next one to a store that has the frosting sheets (around here its the safeway and fred meyer) and you should have no problems.

Please, please, do tell what are frosting sheets made of? I did a cake for my daughter's bday back in March with edible images I had printed at the grocery stores bakery. Now I'm wondering which I got. icon_redface.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 8:56pm
post #10 of 15

Um . . . frosting sheets are made of . . . well, frosting.

Made commercially and rolled uber thin.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 9:04pm
post #11 of 15

BC frosting? Or fondant or something else?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 10:16pm
post #12 of 15

I checked a couple of websites to see if they listed ingredients and couldn't find a list. It's some kind of stabilized bc. Definitely not fondant and definitely not anything you could DIY.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 10:34pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks! I was just curious. I didn't realize there was a difference but I have never used them!

awnee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awnee Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 1:22am
post #14 of 15

Wow! Thanks so much for all the replies!

My cake did NOT crust and I do not know why. I used the basic buttercream recipe with the crisco with 0 trans fat and regular milk but it still did not crust. I waited 2 hours and it was still soft.

What do I need to do to make it crust? More maringe powder? More milk? Add dream whip and if so how much? More 10xxx?

Is there a fool-proof icing recipe that will crust, and where do I find it?

I have bought some frosting sheets from kopykake and next time I will take the sheet to them to use, (unless I decide to get an Epson C88+ and do them myself!)

And again, many thanks for all your help. Awnee

EatYourCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatYourCake Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 6:58pm
post #15 of 15

I use the Viva Papertowel Method recipe:

1 1/2 c. Crisco
1/2 c. soft butter
2 tsp. clear vanilla
2 lbs. sifted powdered sugar
1/3c. water

I use the no trans fat Crisco too and I've never had a problem with this recipe not crusting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%