Help Fair Is Soon!

Decorating By Tede Updated 20 Sep 2007 , 2:11am by Tede

Tede Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tede Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 10

I would like to enter a in our local fair but I have some questions. What kind of icing should I use? It will be in an un-airconditioned glass case, I would really like for my colors not to bleed and my flowers to stand up. The fair is seven days long, just so you have an idea. Thanks for any help. icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 10

Fondant iced with royal icing and gumpaste decorations all the way. If they allow you to use dummies, do it and you will have a permanent showpiece.

hhcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hhcakes Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 12:21am
post #3 of 10

Most fairs will allow only dummy cakes. Definitely go royal icing or fondant covered. If you want to place do fondant. Most judging is done on points and just using fondant takes your skill level up. Keep the cake simple and do everything neat and precise.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:07am
post #4 of 10

Hi Tede,
I have entered my state fair the past two years using dummy cakes covered in buttercream with fondant accents. I'm in Arizona and our fair is in October when it's still above 100 degrees outside. Last year the decorated cakes were displayed in glass cases in an outdoor building, no air conditioning for the entire run of the fair which is 30 days long! And the cake held up just fine, no problems!! They did have huge fans blowing on the cakes but no A/C.

So I just wanted to give you hope that if you choose to decorate with buttercream, mine was fine for a whole month. The color did fade after while but it didn't melt or the colors didn't bleed or anything.

Good luck!
KimAZ

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 10

I am taking my cakes in today! They are BC and fondant! I hope they will do great! I will answer the poll tomorrow! icon_lol.gif

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 1:03am
post #6 of 10

The cakes I entered were to be judged based on taste and on how they looked. I used my recipes for both and won first place for both! I had absolutely no bleeding, and the coconut one was on display for the entire week!
I posted this a couple of weeks ago, it shows a picture of what my cake looked like at the fair (it was 5 days old at this point, middle of July)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5074123-.html#5074123

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 12:10am
post #7 of 10

Oh my gosh!! So much fun! I did and am already planning my entry for the novelty category for next year!! icon_lol.gif I won 1st, best of show, and sweepstakes trophy.

Monilynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monilynn Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 12:28am
post #8 of 10

I used fondant, a non milk based BC, and cake dummies for my recent fair cakes. I didnt have a problem with any of them. HTH

Monica

JanetPlanet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetPlanet Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 12:47am
post #9 of 10

Congratulations Marthajo! Wow!!!

I'm still learning, but I recently read a post here that said adding powdered meringue to bc will help it hold its color, and ... it said to try and stay away from using red, since that fades first.

Tede Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tede Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:11am
post #10 of 10

Thanks for all the advice, I think that the cake will do good. I'm already looking forward to next year's fair! Good luck to everyone who had a cake in a fair this year!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%