Caramel Apples

Decorating By jenhos Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 3:04pm by mcdonald

jenhos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenhos Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 71

Anyone have any tips on making caramel apples? I read somewhere that you can dip apples in boiling water to get the wax off? I guess this is supposed to help the caramel stick better. Has anyone heard of this? I really want to make some for a bake sale at my son's school but have never attempted before.

70 replies
JanetPlanet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetPlanet Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 12:05am
post #2 of 71

I'm so glad you asked this! The last time I tried making them I scrubbed great big Granny Smith apples in hot water with Dawn dish soap. I used Kraft caramels and they looked great, but by the next morning the caramel had thinned out at the top and was piling up thick at the bottom. They're a fortune to make for nothing!

jenhos Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 3:37am
post #3 of 71

Did you put them in the fridge overnight or did you just set them out? Were the apples completely dry before you coated them in caramel? Sorry for all the questions. I just want to get it right the first time b/c like you said, they are not cheap to make.

JanetPlanet Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 71

Hi ~ thanks for asking.

Yes, they were completely dry for over a day, and no, I never put them in the fridge. If I did keep them cold at first, would that keep them from oozing later? I had planned to wrap them as little gifts. I drool every time I see a candy store at the mall here ~ they have dozens of decorated apples sitting out (unrefrigerated) and they look perfect.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetPlanet

I drool every time I see a candy store at the mall here ~ they have dozens of decorated apples sitting out (unrefrigerated) and they look perfect.

OMG I used to do the same thing...until I took a class at the local cake and candy supply store and learned to do my own. I would challenge the chocolate stores anyday. I don't even like store bought gourmet apples any more.

If your apples are waxy, then they won't hold the caramel. You can either wash them with soap and water and dry thoroughly or dip them for a split second in a pot of boiling water. Make sure the entire apple is immersed. Your apples must be completely dried off. Next, use a really good creamy caramel. I use the 5 lb block of Peter's. I melt my caramel with about a tsp of water per pound of caramel. You do not want your caramel runny. You want it thick and spreadable like peanut butter. If your caramel is runny it will run off your apple and settle at the bottom. This is why it's important to add just a little water to the caramel. Also, let your caramel cool down before attempting to spread. If your caramel is warm, but not hot it will adhere to the apple without running off. My teacher had us place our caramel apples on a tray of sugar while they set so that they would not stick to the trays. I don't like that so I place my apples in styrofoam bowls to set. Works like a charm. I usually place the apples in the fridge to set. I hope this helps.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 71

WOW-thanks for making me hungry for caramel apples. thumbs_up.gif

vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 2:12pm
post #7 of 71

adonisthegreek1 those are some really good tips - I've never done apples before, but now that the nieces and nephews are older I thought this would be something fun to try with them.

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 2:27pm
post #8 of 71

Thanks for the tips!

frosty1596 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosty1596 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 71

I'm new to this site (well not really, but I'm new to posting in the forums!) But I have a great receipe for caramel apples that doesn't use the little wrapped caramels. This receipe is for about 16 small apples. Combine 2 cups packed brown sugar, 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk, 1 cup corn syrup and 1/2 cup butter or marg. in sauce pan & bring to boil, stirring constantly. Cook over med heat 25 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat & stir in 1 teas. vanilla. You have to work quickly to dip each apple & I always, always then dip them half way in coco crispies cereal. I make them every year & we love them. Ofcourse, you can just leave them plain without the cereal too! Good luck! Oh yeah - I just place them on greased foil lined sheets to cool.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 2:48pm
post #10 of 71

Thanks frosty!! I will have to try that!

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 3:02pm
post #11 of 71

Frosty, that recipe sounds similar to a recipe for caramels that I used to have. I will try them.
I've always bought the caramels from the store and followed that recipe with success. I only use the Brach's caramels.
Try dipping the apples in caramel, then nuts, then drizzle with chocolate, white and dark. MMMMMMmmmmm!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 3:41pm
post #12 of 71

I just made some Sunday evening, and this morning, most of the caramel has run off. It stayed until last night though. I washed them, dried well, and dipped in Brach's caramels. I'll have to try wit hthe recipe posted!

JenLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenLen Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 3:49pm
post #13 of 71

Frosty, that sounds yummy!!! Will absolutely have to try that!! icon_smile.gif

Whitting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:19am
post #15 of 71

I have never had caramel apples before ( only toffee apples ) but they sound deeelicious !!! icon_biggrin.gif
Might just have to try some......kids are going to LOVE me icon_lol.gif

JanetPlanet Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:29pm
post #16 of 71

Adonis? Where do you get the Peter's block of caramel? I'll go for a proven, easy winner rather than risk messing up the recipe lol.

And thank you everybody for help!!!

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:38pm
post #17 of 71
Quote:

Adonis? Where do you get the Peter's block of caramel? I'll go for a proven, easy winner rather than risk messing up the recipe lol.

And thank you everybody for help!!!

I noticed with the link to Country Kitchen Sweetart that was just posted there was a 1 lb block of Peter's caramel. All this talk about caramel apples is making me crave them. Yum!

danar217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danar217 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:45pm
post #18 of 71

Now I'm dying for one of these!
So does the Peter's caramel taste like the wrapped ones at the store (like Brach's) or does it taste like homemade caramel??

jenhos Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 3:21pm
post #19 of 71

Has anyone made their own caramel? There is a recipe for caramel dipped apples on epicurious.com and it has rave reviews. I think I'm going to try that. I'll let you know how it comes out. My main concern is the caramel falling off the apple.

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 3:43pm
post #20 of 71

jenhos I would love to hear how your apples turn out. Good luck!

shooterstrigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shooterstrigger Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 3:59pm
post #21 of 71

I have a recipe for homemade caramel I love. After dipping I set them in a tray of nuts, sprinkles, chocolate chips, or M&M s to cool.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:16pm
post #22 of 71

I use this caramel, it is non-flowing so it will stay on apple and not slide off. It is awesome. I will making caramel apples for my daughters bday as favors.

http://countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=618987

I also buy my sticks and bag their too.

the caramel melts smoothly in the microwave.

adonisthegreek1 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 5:36pm
post #23 of 71
Quote:

Adonis? Where do you get the Peter's block of caramel? ...

I'm not sure where you are located, but I buy mine at a local cake and candy supply store. I pay $19.95 for it. If you "google" it, you will find it online at around $15, but you have to add shipping. I've never ordered it online though so I can't recommend a site as far as shipping cost and speed. I think you will be very happy with it though.

adonisthegreek1 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 5:43pm
post #24 of 71

Jenhos, let me know how your caramel recipe turns out. I have tried several and cannot find one that works. They all seem to call for too much butter and my caramel slides right off the apple. The caramel itself tastes wonderful, but it's a bit greasy for the apples. I have thrown out so many batches of caramel trying to find the right recipe, so now I just stick to the Peter's. it works wonderfully.

stellaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stellaz Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 9:43pm
post #25 of 71

CK Products carries their own caramel bits. They rock!! No unwrapping of each caramel. They actually look like baked beans when you start to melt them. I keep several 1lb. bags of these on hand at all times. icon_smile.gif

JanetPlanet Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 11:15pm
post #26 of 71

My cake supply shop had the Peter's block! It was $19. Yippieee!!! Can't wait to try them! Thank you again!!!

danar217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danar217 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 2:04am
post #27 of 71

I already posted this but am still wondering....does the Peter's taste like Brach's or the small packaged ones???? Or is it more like homemade?

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 12:46pm
post #28 of 71

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
Thanks so much Adonisthegreek1!!! I need to make caramel apples for my daughters senior class at the fall foliage festival they have in town. I will try to find the Peter's caramel. You have some pretty good tips to make them I just hope that I can keep the caramel on them.

Thanks to everyones tips here, I have to try them all!!!! My kids will be super happy!!! icon_biggrin.gif

adonisthegreek1 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 2:32pm
post #29 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by danar217

I already posted this but am still wondering....does the Peter's taste like Brach's or the small packaged ones???? Or is it more like homemade?

Peter's caramel is much better than brach's or packaged caramels. It is very smooth and creamy. Nice texture and flavor.

adonisthegreek1 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 2:35pm
post #30 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommicakes

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
... I just hope that I can keep the caramel on them. icon_biggrin.gif

If the caramel runs off the only two problems could be:
1. All wax was not removed from your apples
2. Caramel was too hot, remember to let it cool down so you can spread it
like peanut butter

Quote by @%username% on %date%