Betty Crocker Bake N'fill.....

Decorating By Jopalis Updated 27 Jan 2014 , 4:35am by caketherapy

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 6:33pm
post #31 of 40

It just seems to me that perhaps the cakes is cooling too fast, causing the sweating.

So ashamed to say... icon_redface.gif ...I really don't pay much attention to the pan instructions! It is so humid where I am, I just take the insert out when cooling, does anyone else do this? I cool the cakes on a rack, in the pan, with the insert removed, no problems. The cakes keep there shape just fine for me!

Hopefully some other BNF users will chime in with their thoughts on this subject! I hate that the pan is not working for you. The only problem I have is that the cake should be bigger!!! We always eat the whole thing, and wish there was more!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 6:43pm
post #32 of 40

Ok I don't know how and where you cool cakes but for me kitchen space is very VERY limited so I HAVE to cool all cakes ontop the hot oven makes no sense I know but with no where else to do it I have no choice. (there is a fish tank with a turtle in it on the kitchen table lol) When I cool on the oven top I don't get the condensation problem.

If you turn it upside down two things will happen...

Thing about how a cake kinda shrinks after it rises... it's got the shape but it's also got a slight gap in between the cake top and the insert pan so when you turn it over the cake is going to slide down a bit onto this insert hump and it will end up breaking most likely. Also the condensation problem would still exist but it would then puddle up around the top edge and when you turn it over to unlock the insert it'll go inside anyway.

I would suggest maybe cooling ontop the stove ontop a wire rack that way it's up off the hot surface but still keeping warm as it's cooling down and it's not getting the temperature shock and making it sweat.

I've never tried it with doctored mixes but I have used it with the "Pudding in mix" box mixes. It was the "Double pudding in the mix" mix actually and it worked fine. Maybe it's one of those stupid issues that you can ONLY use BC mix with it icon_sad.gif but I don't think my mixes were BC icon_sad.gif Maybe contact customer service department although they weren't very helpful when I contacted them about why it was taking so long to ship my package lol.

Hope this helps somewhat icon_sad.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 6:59pm
post #33 of 40

Excellent points you guys! Now that I know it works out there for *some* people, I will not give up. I was going to relegate it to the garage sale pile, but I think I may keep trying!

OhMyGoodies Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 7:07pm
post #34 of 40

Yay Melvira!!! Glad you aren't giving up icon_wink.gif Never thought of you as a giver upper icon_razz.gif If you do decide to get rid of it gift it to someone icon_wink.gif but then again if they can get it to work you'd probably strangle them lol icon_wink.gif

Melvira Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 7:17pm
post #35 of 40

Yah, I'd probably beat them to death with a sock fulla' old fondant! icon_wink.gif

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 7:24pm
post #36 of 40

I have one and I really was not too crazy about it.
The fact that I cannot see the cake baking in that dome scares me.

I've tried it once and I might do it again. icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:50am
post #37 of 40

Ok, I gave it the old college try today... I baked a vanilla cake using the domed pan and insert. I turned it upside down to cool so that the condensation would run out instead of down into the cake. That seemed to help. I still don't like the texture that the cake comes out... a little plasticy if you know what I mean, but I put a layer of my good home made strawberry rhubarb preserves in it and frosted it in buttercream. Didn't bother with any decorations because I don't have the energy today! icon_wink.gif We just had a piece and it tasted ok. Everyone else thought it was good, but I am so finicky, it was just OK. I would do it if someone really wanted it, but I don't think I'd push anyone toward it.

OhMyGoodies Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:56am
post #38 of 40

lol glad you tried it again and glad it didn't die on you icon_smile.gif

I have only used mine once and that was just to try it out, the guy that the cake was for loved it!!!! Didn't share a single piece with anyone not even his wife and kids lmao. So I guess it was good. I don't know if I'll use it again I may after we move to make one for us to taste it and see how it turns out but that's probably it lol. I just wanted the darn pan because it was way cool man! lmao

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:29pm
post #39 of 40

keep in mind the recommended usage for this pan is not carved in stone! I also use mine when I need a round pan, in place of the ball pan...which I do not own!!! (Would also make a really cute watermelon cake or jello mold!)

caketherapy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caketherapy Posted 27 Jan 2014 , 4:35am
post #40 of 40

what is the size of the bake n fill round pan compared to the wilton soccer ball pan??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%