Cal-Java Fondant Anyone?????

Decorating By noosie Updated 26 Sep 2013 , 7:50pm by The Chippy

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 9

I just returned from my fondant supplier. I love Satinice but needed only 2lbs. in specific colors that they did not carry in Satinice. I ended up purchasing 2lb. tubs of colored Cal-Java brand fondant. I never heard of it but I didn't really have much choice. Has anyone ever used this brand???? I will be using it for my daughters upcoming 10th b-day so I don't want to spoil her cake if the fondant stinks. icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

TIA

8 replies
friscocakesbyangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
friscocakesbyangel Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 9

If memory serves, CalJava makes Fondx fondant. I bought some fondx last week and used it on a jungle themed cake this past weekend and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It worked so much better than the Satin Ice that I was using.

When I covered my cakes in Satin Ice, I would get crackes and wrinkles all along the edges. I even kneaded it until my hands fell off and I added shortening while kneading and I still got cracks. Fondx didnt do that. My cake turned out perfect. Fondx is my new favorite, so I'm sure the colored fondant is the same. As for the taste, I like it better than the satin ice.

There is even a local cake shop that I go to get supplies that even switched from Satin Ice to fondx. Well, I hope this helps. Good luck! Post the cake after its finished so we can see how it turns out. icon_smile.gif

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 9

Cal-Java is the toughest to work with... I attempted to cover a cake in it and it is so so so soft that you can barely pick it up after rolling it out..it tears so easily. I was so excited because I needed black and red boy was I disappointed.. it tastes great but is a horror show to work with. I tried everything added PS, let it sit out, I tried to make something (a lawnmower) with it and it sat out for 2 weeks and NEVER hardened.. stayed soft to touch as if the 1st day I took it out of the package, like I actually re rolled it... My advice it get a back up plan. Sorry for the bad news but I was caught in a jam and would hate for that to happen to someone else.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 9

Fondx is supposed to be great, but when I placed an order at CalJava it wasn't Fondx (I just assumed it would be).

I ordered red and blue "white chocolate rolled fondant" and when the container arrived it was by Sweet Inspiration, not Fondx.

It was horrible! Way too soft and sticky. I suggest trying to knead in some powdered sugar before attempting to roll it out.

SweetTcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTcakes Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 9

I used the black cal-fava fondant (chocolate fondant). I love it. I have used it for accent peices though.

I used it for a scalloped top of my daughter's cake and it did harden for me. I placed some tissue under each scallop and removed it after a couple of hours and it stayed flared out. Here is the link to the image.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=732623

I also used it on my showgirls cake as draping and it hardened pretty good there too.

I enjoyed it and it tasted great.

Also, I use their Fondx too. I loooooove that as well..

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 9

I've used the sweet inspirations white chocolate fondant and I mixed it 60 40 with satin ice and it was awesome. Very smooth, didn't wrinkle or crack at all.
I have used just the white chocolate fondant and have found it needs low humidity and dry conditions to work best in. And you do have to roll it out thicker than other fondant too.

cykrivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cykrivera Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 4:50pm
post #7 of 9

I love fondx as well. I haven't tried cal-java's colors, but I do know that they recommend doing half and half with their white chocolate fondant. Otherwise it is pretty soft. I do have to say that I came acrossed a different website cakedeco.com and their fondx is about $10 less a bucket than caljava. You have to have a minimum order of $50 but that hasn't been a problem yet. I don't know if they have pre-colored as well. Hope this helps.

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 5:01pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you all for your opinions. Luckily the bulk of this cake will be pink which i was able to find Satinice in. I live in NY so I went directly to Pfiel & Holing (cakedeco.com). Interestingly enough, the "cal-java" fondant is labeled in a "Sweet Inspirations" container. They said it is cal-java. I too thought that was a bit odd with the labeling. I'll be using the cal-java for cutouts and accent pieces so hopefully the soft issue will not be too much of a hindrance.

Thanks again, I'll post picks when I'm done.

The Chippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The Chippy Posted 26 Sep 2013 , 7:50pm
post #9 of 9

Love working with FondX Rolled Fondant.  It has always been easy for me to knead and roll.  Really enjoy all of the colors that are available and the nice vanilla flavor.  It's my favorite fondant icing by far and would recommend using it.  I usually get mine at http://caljavaonline.com/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%