Info Needed For Equipment Needed For A Commercial Shop

Business By sbcakes Updated 10 Sep 2007 , 1:50am by vrmcc1

sbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbcakes Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 1:07am
post #1 of 3

I am in need of any information that anyone may have on opening a commercial shop. I have been running my business from my licensed kitchen as a home based bakery, but we are moving to a new house...and new town in October and have decided to make an actual licensed shop out of the basement. It is just one room in the basement...it used to be a garage years ago, but the previous owners converted it into a "hobby" room. It has a separate entrance. I am going to contact my local dept of Ag lady, but was wondering if anyone had any useful info on what I am going to need or any good ideas they would want to share with me. I am nervous about moving my business to a new town, I just hope I can be as successful there as I was here!

2 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 1:35am
post #2 of 3

The answer of what equipment you will need is going to be based upon what your health department requires. I know that isn't the answer you wnat to hear but some of the following is what I have seen required in some places.

Commercial oven
A certain size fridge
A certain size freezer
Everything on wheels for easy movability
Grease Trap
Seperate bathroom for area (expecially if you will be open to the public or serve the public... depends again on health department)
3 compartment sink
Seperate hand wash sink (sometimes in every room of the building that has production-for instance if you bake/mix in a different room than you decorate in)

There are so many things that vary state to state, county to county, and even city to city. I think you already took the right step in putting a call into the Health department.

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 1:50am
post #3 of 3

I would talk to the DOA. i think that you would still be considered home-based (unless you intend to have like a sit down and eat in type thing) and you would not need anything more than what you have in you regular kitchen. If you are looking to purchase any commerical equipment, tables etc. check out http://www.auctionzip for a list or local commerical auction I have found some really great deals lately.

HTH Val

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%