Cookie Pens

Decorating By Carriemyvoice Updated 4 Feb 2005 , 6:58pm by Carriemyvoice

Carriemyvoice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carriemyvoice Posted 1 Feb 2005 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 5

Has anyone used the cookie pens for decorating or writing names on a cake? I know it says you can use them on fondant, but I was not sure about regular butter cream or royal icing.

4 replies
GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 2 Feb 2005 , 2:05am
post #2 of 5

I've used them to write on cookies covered with fondant. I don't see how they would work on buttercream--even if it is crusted over. I don't think the surface would be hard enough to withstand the pressure needed to write with the pens. I would think they'd work on hardened royal icing though.

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 3 Feb 2005 , 2:59am
post #3 of 5

They won't work on buttercream icing-they are ok to sort of outline something then fill in with a border or writing but that's like double work-some people like them to do the initial work and if they need to smooth over and redo they can-you really don't get much color on the icing-I really don't care for them at all..used them a couple times to make sure it wasn't just me goofing up---ok, most of it wasn't me goofing up.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 3 Feb 2005 , 3:05am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanni

I really don't care for them at all..used them a couple times to make sure it wasn't just me goofing up---ok, most of it wasn't me goofing up.

I don't like the pens either. I think it's better to use a thin paintbrush. The Wilton pens I've tried have a larger tip than I like and just don't look great unless I go over it a few times. Maybe there's a better brand out there.

Carriemyvoice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carriemyvoice Posted 4 Feb 2005 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much for your input on the pens. It saves me the pain of messing up icon_cry.gif an already frosted cake. icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%