Grrrrrr!!!! Square Cakes!!!

Decorating By mkolmar Updated 15 Sep 2007 , 2:24pm by mydelights

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 6:12am
post #1 of 17

Did my first square cake and I'm not happy at all. Just a practice, but there has to be an easier way of getting crisp corners! I tried doing it a few different ways and no such luck.
I'm so upset by this, I'm trying to learn to do squares for a wedding cake for 300 icon_eek.gif in December.
I was so mad at this cake I wanted to stab it with my spatula! icon_razz.gif Yes, I have cake anger issues! AHHHHHH!

Cakes in my photos!

16 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 17

LOL you are too funny! I know how you feel. I stick my cakes in the freezer to harden the icing. Then I do the corners and final smoothing of the icing. It works well for me. Now I only need to get them to where the tops stop arching on me.

mkolmar Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 17

Rennie--I didn't even think about sticking it in the freezer to harden up the icing. I guess the humidity here is affecting my brain. Thanks for the tip!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 17

Use a bench scraper instead of a spatula and work away from each corner on both sides.

mkolmar Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:21am
post #5 of 17

Thanks! That's what I'm going to try next time. Funny thing is I looked at my scraper and decided against it.

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 12:28pm
post #6 of 17

I like the idea of the scraper and working away from the corners. I never thought of that.....thanks KoryAK

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 12:36pm
post #7 of 17
nicrysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicrysmom Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 12:46pm
post #8 of 17

what is a bench scrapper?? yes, i am new to all of this!! thanks!

mkolmar Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:37pm
post #9 of 17

Thanks pastryjen for posting that, unfortunatly though that's the method I tried. I think it was just to warm and humid though and that's probably the main reason it wouldn't work. My icing just didn't really crust over like it normally does, and I wasn;t in the mood to struggle any more with it.

A bench scraper can be found in the paint isle. It's what all the painters use. It works well when heated up under hot water and wiped dry to smooth out icing.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 6:00pm
post #10 of 17

You can also get bench scrapers made for the kitchen. Thats what I normally use, but just this weekend had to buy something similar for the paint aisle since my cake was 8" tall icon_smile.gif

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:09am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Quote:

Now I only need to get them to where the tops stop arching on me.

I have this same problem and I hate it! I'd love some pointers and tips on how to stop the icing from arching on the sides..it seems no matter what I do it never fails.

kcat3740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcat3740 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:32am
post #12 of 17

Sorry that you are not happy with your corners - but hey your scroll work is beautiful!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:17am
post #13 of 17

I LUV doing square cakes!

Working from the center, I push the icing out past the corner of the cake. Then I "fold" the excess icing around the corner. I also use the bench scraper .... what a difference that makes!

mkolmar Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 1:33pm
post #14 of 17

Time to bake another cake and try again this weekend. I'm going to try the few different ways and tips mentioned on here.
Indy-- I can't believe you like oding these evil shaped cakes! icon_lol.gif

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 1:38am
post #15 of 17

Your pic just cracked me up!! The message made me lmao!!!!!!!! For a first try you did great. Mine was terrible!

Elle

mkolmar Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 2:06pm
post #16 of 17

I don't see anything you do as possibly being terrible Elle! --Glad the cake made you laugh, you would have died laughing if you would have been there in my kitchen that night. I was calling this cake all sorts of bad names under my breath.... it's all a blur right now.

mydelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mydelights Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 2:24pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Thanks pastryjen for posting that, unfortunatly though that's the method I tried. I think it was just to warm and humid though and that's probably the main reason it wouldn't work.

The method didn't work for me either. The icing just got stuck and pull away each time I removed the spatula. I'm also struggling with icing square cakes. Hope someone can post more links and tips on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%