Turntables

Decorating By kelly75 Updated 9 Nov 2006 , 10:22pm by Wendoger

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 14

I want to buy a turntable, so have been looking on ebay (UK site) and I've seen a few different types, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the following:

1. Is it better to get one that tilts?
2. What diameter is best (if I get a big one, will it make icing smaller cakes more tricky)?
3. Is a raised turntable better?
4. I'm not always sure if ebay prices are 'bargain' prices so, what is the average price for these?

Probably dumb questions, but don't want to waste my money on the wrong kind!

TIA

Kelly

13 replies
sue65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue65 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 14

Hi Kelly !

I don't have answers for you because I want to buy one very soon.

So I will follow your post to see the recomandation of CC members ...

Thank you very much for this post.

badgerang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badgerang Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 14

I went the CHEAP route! I got mine from the dollar store. They call it a lazy susan, it was with the kitchen stuff. Anyway, it's probably about 8 or 9 inches in diameter and it works fine for big or small cakes, as long as the cake is on a circle (I haven't done any huge cakes). It is a bit easier to ice if the cake is raised so I just put the whole thing on top of a big can of Crisco! Works great!!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 14

The best turntable I have found was made with counter top board and a lazy susan bearing (found at lumber yards). It is raised, which I think is best, but it is also reversible. Most of the time I use the larger side up, but it's great to be able to flip it over for small cakes. I found this at Cake and Candy Connection in OKC. (phone: Shop (405) 942-3232). They have a web site, but I couldn't tell if the turntables were available. I did call them and they are available, they will ship, and the price is $14.99. It is a wonderfully smooth and sturdy turntable.

As for the tilting turntables, DON'T get the Wilton unless you want your cake thrown! icon_smile.gif Tilting turntable are supposed to make side design easier or to do complicated stringwork to not droop before drying. When I need to work on the side designs, I just put the cake on top of a heavy object, such as a fondant bucket, on the turntable. I also use the non-slip pads on both.

If you really need a tilt for just one cake, a folded towel works well, again with the non-slip pad on it.

HTH

Michele

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 14

I have this one and I love it. Can do round or sheet cakes.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=1725

nichi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nichi Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 14

I have the heavy duty wilton turntable, it has a very heavy base but its a good standard turn table. http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30C9EB-475A-BAC0-5E67EC9C9DF482A2

I remember reading recently a story of someones tiltable turntable giving out on them and they ended up with a cake on the floor?

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 14

Since you're in the UK. I recommend the PME tilting turntable. It has a good non slip surface, cleans easily and I find it an adequate size for all my cakes. Don't worry about cakes slipping with this one. I regularly do 12 inch rich fruit cakes covered in marzipan and icing (very heavy) and they've never slipped yet.
Mine was £28.99 and worth every penny. A basic one that doesn't tilt should be around £15.

I do recommend this site
http://www.design-a-cake.co.uk/

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 14

I also have the Wilton professional turntable (not the tilting one).....when i first got it I was disappointed because it wobbled and didnt turn smooth but I contacted Wilton and after asking me for some numbers on the box, they promptly sent me a new one (it appears my first one was missing a part) that works beautifully.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 7:24pm
post #9 of 14

I have the one from Country Kitchen that Leana mentioned and I highly recommend it. It is large enough to do the larger cakes and I love that it is reversible, round on one side, rectanglular on the other. I put a little square of the rubberized drawer and cabinet liner uner the turntable so it doesn't slide around when you are icing the cake. Also, don't think it is defective if you order it and find the wooden pegs between the two boards are slanted. They are meant to be that way, I discovered this when I called Country Kitchen in a panic because I thought mine got bent in the mail. icon_biggrin.gif

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:49pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations (all useful!) and thanks Miss Baritone for the link, it's great and so much cheaper than I can get stuff here in Ireland (had a very frustrating visit to my local 'kitchen shop' today - poor selection and way overpriced!)

Thanks again everyone,

Kelly

cigarHerb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cigarHerb Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 9:36pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leana

I have this one and I love it. Can do round or sheet cakes.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=1725

We use this one as well and love it. It is rectangle on one side or turn it over and it is round. Very sturdy and will last along time.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 12:40am
post #12 of 14

I just bought a heavy duty lazy susan at a department store. My plastic dollar store one broke and my cake fell off icon_sad.gif
No more cheap crap icon_wink.gif

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 10:11pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichi

I remember reading recently a story of someones tiltable turntable giving out on them and they ended up with a cake on the floor?

That was me. I was working on a show cake and the turntable dropped to the next level and my cake slid off (I was a using a non-slip pad) and hit the table. I had to use electrical tape to hold the position while I finished the project.

I was just a little bit angry. icon_mad.gif

Michele

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 10:22pm
post #14 of 14

...lol...that was me too! My short 'disaster' story in the cake disasters forum.
icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%