Yet Another Buttercream Question

Decorating By pinknlee Updated 8 Nov 2006 , 6:04pm by mkerton

pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 4:21am
post #1 of 12

I am using a new recipe it calls for butter and milk. I really like the consistancy and flavor it has and it spread so smooth. My question is does anyone know how this holds up? How long it can stay out of the fridge and all that?

11 replies
pinknlee Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 4:25am
post #2 of 12

Okay I am going to do it. BUMP

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 4:29am
post #3 of 12

This might be helpful:

http://tinyurl.com/g3kss

pinknlee Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 4:38am
post #4 of 12

That helped and as far as I can see I can keep it out for a while, right?
I am dense tonight.

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 4:43am
post #5 of 12

I don't know that I would leave it out with milk in the recipe. I do my wilton recipe with water. I use 1/2 cup butter to the 1 1/2 cup crisco. I leave mine out of the fridge and it is fine. I hope this helps.

pinknlee Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 4:54am
post #6 of 12

I know I normally use 1/2 butter 1/2 Crisco, but I saw this and really like it. I know that you can leave Geneche out I was wondering if anyone knows if this would be the same.

pinknlee Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 5:52pm
post #7 of 12

Okay, I am going to do it again. BUMP

coffeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 12

My understanding is that all the sugar acts somewhat as a preservative, so that a recipe with some cream or milk should be fine out. (though I do not know if I would let it sit out for days)

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 6:01pm
post #9 of 12

I think due to the fact it has milk in it it would HAVE to be refrigerated to remain fresh and edible. I would refrigerate it just to be safer it doesn't take much to whip out the hand mixer and whip it up again before using again icon_smile.gif

pinknlee Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 6:02pm
post #10 of 12

I just was just wanting to know for the time of delivery and eating. I was going to use it on a just the sides and top of a wedding cake. It was really smooth and use the 1/2 butter 1/2 crisco for the decoration. I just didn't want anyone to get sick from the wedding cake.

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 6:04pm
post #11 of 12

I have been told that the small amount of milk will not harm anything and it can stay out. I always suggest refrigeration but have had a few people leave it out for days and say it tastes fine and no one has gotten sick.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 6:04pm
post #12 of 12

I use a recipe that is 1/2 butter, 1/2 shortening, 2 tbls heavy cream, 1 tbls milk....and I have left it out for a couple of days with no problem.....as was stated above the sugar sort of preserves or cooks it in such a way that you dont have to worry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%