First Time Fondant.. Silly Questions :)

Decorating By nic2005 Updated 8 Sep 2007 , 11:01pm by nic2005

nic2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nic2005 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 6

Hi icon_smile.gif Ok so these are probably the silliest questions ever and I am SO sorry if they have been covered a billion times but when I search I get so many hits that I am wading through hundreds of forums that don't relate..
ok so on to the question that I can't believe I am asking lol
I have made several cakes using fondant decorations and only once covered a cake (that was a pirate ship on the top tier of my cake).
this cake I am covering all three tiers and and have hundreds of fondant decorations to add.. the party is tomorrow at noon and I am itching to get the cake decorated.. do I cover the cake with fondant and then cover it to keep it soft?? I don't want it eaten but if it goes rock hard won't that be a little awkward also? I am thinking I will stack them tomorrow morning but can I cover them with fondant now? could I just do the whole thing now?
thanks so much icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
rosita6882 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosita6882 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 6

Some poeple cover and decorate the day before but i think that most don't. When i do a cake covered in fondant i do it the day it is needed. You can make the decorations ahead of time and store them in an airtight container so that they are ready. The problem with refrigeration is that when brought to room temp the fondant sweats and becomes stickey. I don't think it will go hard unless you leave it out. Hope this helps.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 6

Sure you can go ahead and cover & decorate that cake.
The moisture in the cake (& b'cream under it) will help keep the fondant from getting hard.

nic2005 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the reponses icon_smile.gif
I have the crumb coats done and each cake is waiting.. I did do the decorations over the last week so they are all dried and ready to go let tehm have an extra 48hrs to dry after I painted with luster too.. so I think they are pretty hard.. I am just worried since it is my daughters first birthday that I won't have tome to get everything done in the morning and was hoping I could decorate tonight I just really don't want all my hard work on the decorations to go down the drain.. should maybe that wait? I made a big loopy bow and was thinking maybe that should be a last minute thing since I would die if is got soggy lol.. also 200 flowers and a bunch of bees so I am not sure if I want them to "sweat"...??
thanks again for the help!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 6

Oh my gosh, if I waited til pick up day to cover and decorate my cakes, I'd have to grow 17 more arms and work at the speed of light! You can definitely cover and decorate your cake the day before.

I didn't notice if you said the cake needs to be refrigerated. If it doesn't need frig, don't put it in there.

The very outer skin of the fondant will get firm, but the fondant touching the cake will stay nice and soft. I wouldn't recommend "covering" the cake, i.e., wrapping with plastic wrap or putting it in an airtight container, because the moisture from the cake can cause condensation to form on the outside of your fondant. Believe me, you don't want that. icon_smile.gif

Good luck! It sounds like it's going to be absolutely adorable!

nic2005 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 6

oh thank you! It does need to be in thhe fridge since the filling both contain cream but I am so glad it's ok to decorate! I reall don't want to rush before everyone gets here and it won't actually be all that long in the fridge since it is at noon tomorrow icon_smile.gif yay!! going to finally get to see my hard work tonight! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%