Bridal Shower Cake

Decorating By Bev55 Updated 10 Sep 2007 , 5:09pm by cakescraps

Bev55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bev55 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 14

I am in the process of making a cake for my daughter-in-law's brother's bridal shower. It's a coed party. My daughter-in-law ask me to make the cake after I made them an anniversary cake. The theme is Margaritaville/Hawaiian. I volunteered to make this cake, and I want to impress them. Originally it was covered in gumpaste margarita glasses and lime slices, but I want to upscale it. I am posting a picture of the cake as it sits in my kitchen. I want to add green jello to the margarita glass and a border around the bottom of the ribbons to cover the cardboard. I plan to add more flowers. I need your opinions desperately. How does it look? Will it look good with the additional items being added to it? Any suggestions would be appreciated. This cake is due at the mother of the bride's house at 4:00 this afternoon. Thanks! Oh, I forgot. The top tier is lime scratch cake with buttercream filling. The second tier is white sour cream cake with chocolate hazelnut filling. The final tier is white source cream cake with lime filling. All tiers are covered in buttercream. Thanks again!
LL

13 replies
Bev55 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 14

Oophs! My cake didn't attach. I hope it will this time.
LL

Tramski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tramski Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 14

I don't have any ideas, but I think it is absolutely gorgeous

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 1:12pm
post #4 of 14

Bev-I think this cake is lovely. I don't think I would personally add more flowers as these are quite large and might overtake the pretty cake. I LOVE the colors! I think green jello in the glass would be really cute and fun and your bottom border (bead??) will look very nice. They will be very happy with it.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 1:17pm
post #5 of 14

Gorgeous!!! Love the green jello idea!!! And maybe add a little sugar to the rim of the glass? icon_biggrin.gif

gismo12002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gismo12002 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 1:18pm
post #6 of 14

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 14

Your cake is GORGEOUS as is! If you do add jello to the glass, you'll need to keep the glass in the frig for most of the day. When jello sits at room temp, it evaporates and shrinks. I'm sure you've seen that "sucked dry" jello look! Maybe dip the edge of the glass in some sugar before adding the jello? I love the lime slice idea. icon_smile.gif

I don't think it needs more flowers, however, I do like the idea of a little border under the ribbon. I've, personally, always been fond of little beads at the base of the ribbon, but a thin fondant rope or braid would look nice too.

Whatever you do will be fabulous! This is a great cake!

Bev55 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 1:52pm
post #8 of 14

I have also baked 4 dozen cupcakes to go stacked glass plates. The cupcakes have white and margarita flavored buttercream. I will place lime slices and white jasmine flowers on the cupcakes. I think I will have enough cake!!!!!

Bev55 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:00pm
post #9 of 14

Here is an updated version of the cake except I need to add the border. You can see the bottom portion of the margarita glass. I have also include pictures of the cupcakes that I will display on both sides of the cake on a glass cake servers. Have do you like it now? Or was the simpler version the best. I really do appreciate your opinions.
LL
LL

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:08pm
post #10 of 14

Your cake is beautiful. You don't need the additional flower. They start to overtake the cake - I look more at the flowers than the cake!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:38pm
post #11 of 14

I l o v e the cupcakes! They make me want to lick the screen Image

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 4:27pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by annacakes

Your cake is beautiful. You don't need the additional flower. They start to overtake the cake - I look more at the flowers than the cake!

I agree. The newer version has too many flowers. The first one is much better. Love the cake though icon_biggrin.gif

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 4:34pm
post #13 of 14

Oh, that's just beautiful!

I like the less flowery version cake, too...but I'd nestle the extra flowers you have in and around the cupcakes on the glass servers..

Really, that's just gorgeous!icon_smile.gif

cakescraps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakescraps Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 5:09pm
post #14 of 14

I like it better with fewer flowers too. Love the color combinations

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%