Boxed Cakes

Decorating By pickles777 Updated 8 Nov 2006 , 10:17pm by starrchaser

pickles777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pickles777 Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 22

Do most people use cake mix in a box or make theirs from scratch? I always use box...but it seems boring after reading peoples ideas and comments. I did get a few new recipes to try though for cakes from scratch. Just wandering if i was the only one to use boxed heehe. thanks!

21 replies
elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 22

There's another thread here on the site that polled that question. It sounds like lots and lots of us use box mixes, but most doctor them up somehow. Some use the cake extender, coffee mate, pudding mixes, extra eggs, milk in place of water, the list goes on. There are tons of ways to doctor up a mix make people think there's no way that came out of a box. I'm in Boxed Mix Clubhouse. I'll keep you company!

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 1:46am
post #3 of 22

Box mix all the way - I agree - there are so many ways to dr up a box mix. If you sit down and really do the math, they are cheaper as well. I don't ever just fix a box and call it my own cake - I do DR it up!!!! If anyone asks I always tell them I start with that as a base and go from there. What does DH do - start with flour, soda, etc - just like we would!!!! Only they do it in premeasured amounts which saves us both time and money!!!!

starrchaser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starrchaser Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 1:55am
post #4 of 22

icon_biggrin.gif YAAAAAAAAY BOXED MIX!
everybody's doing it. lol

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 1:58am
post #5 of 22

I use box mix all the time, only thing I do use actually. No one can tell. I've doctored it up by using some hints and tips off CC and people love it even more. I made one for my god daughter's birthday and no one knew it was boxed mix.

pickles777 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 22

thank you so much for all the help. im glad im not the only "box cake" person hehehe. I will find different ways to Doctor up the box cake on this site. thanks again!!

DebraJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebraJ Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 5:21pm
post #7 of 22

Lemon Cake

2 Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Lemon Cake mixes (the BEST one to use)
2 cups water
1/3 cup Crisco oil
8 large eggs
1 small box lemon instant pudding
1 small box lemon cooked pudding (it's the kind that you would have to cook on the stove and is usually right next to the instant)
1 envelope Dream Whip (also in the baking aisle in powder form -- normally comes two envelopes in a box)
2 oz. Superior Lemon Flavor (usually found in a cake decorating store -- I've made the cake without it in a pinch (don't use the regular lemon flavor -- it's too strong))

Combine all ingredients. Blend until moistened and then beat on medium speed four to five minutes. Bake in a 350 degree oven and depending on what size cake pans you use, check after 20 minutes. Cake is done when you can stick a fork in the middle and it comes out clean. Makes one 14x19 sheet cake or 4 8" or 9" cake layers or a lot of cupcakes. Freezes well.

Chocolate Cake Recipe

2 Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Devils Food cake mixes (again the best brand to use)
2 1/3 cups water
1 cup Crisco oil
8 large eggs
1 small box chocolate instant pudding
1 small box cooked cooked pudding (it's the kind that you would have to cook on the stove and is usually right next to the instant)
1 envelope Dream Whip (also in the baking aisle in powder form -- normally comes two envelopes in a box)
2 Tbsp Apple Cider vinegar (works better than plain vinegar)

Combine all ingredients. Blend until moistened and then beat on medium speed four to five minutes. Bake in a 350 degree oven and depending on what size cake pans you use, check after 20 minutes. Cake is done when you can stick a fork in the middle and it comes out clean. Makes one 14x19 sheet cake or 4 8" or 9" cake layers or a lot of cupcakes. Freezes well.

conb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conb Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 5:37pm
post #8 of 22

I only do scratch cakes. But was told by my culinary instructor that a box cake had all the same ingredients as a scratch cake. For me it is a matter of preference. However when I first started baking I brought The Cake Mix Doctor which seems to have good box cake recipes in it.

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 5:54pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by conb

I only do scratch cakes. But was told by my culinary instructor that a box cake had all the same ingredients as a scratch cake. For me it is a matter of preference.

This is the exact reason I use boxed mixes. They have the same ingredients. My preference is just to take the easy way out. Besides, my kitchen gets plastered when I cook. I figure I only have to clean up after the box instead of the flour bin, the sugar bin, all those extra measuring cups......haha!

pickles777 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:21pm
post #10 of 22

thanks debra for your cake ingredients. I am goin to try the chocolate one this weekend!

pickles777 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:23pm
post #11 of 22

Debra , i have a stupid question though...when you use the pudding do i like make the pudding like normal and then mix it in with the cake, or just poor the powder into the mixture..if that makes sense....

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:24pm
post #12 of 22

DebraJ can you make 1/2 the quantity of each of the cakes listed (ie. 1 cake mix and half all the ingredients)?

Thanks!

MelissaLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaLynn Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:37pm
post #13 of 22

I started out using boxed cakes, but I soon discovered that I really prefer making my cakes from scratch. I'll never go back. Granted, it's a bit more work, but it's well worth it in my opinion. For one thing, I don't have the preservatives that come in the box cakes and I really feel like scratch cakes have a better texture and flavor. Plus it just makes me feel good seeing what I've created in the end.

mrsdawnwhite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsdawnwhite Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:39pm
post #14 of 22

Box mix all the way!! My last instructor called it "PRE-MEASURED DRY INGREDIENTS" ... But she did doctor it up to make it her own!

missym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missym Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:45pm
post #15 of 22

I prefer Pillsbury boxed mixes that I DR up. DH has given me lots of fits (In August and again last week).

DebraJ Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 9:07pm
post #16 of 22

You guys are great. Thanks for the responses.

Pickles777-You put the pudding mixes in as powder right out of the package. You don't have to make the pudding first.

Monizcel-Yes, you can cut this recipe in half. When I do that, I just measure the pudding mixes and the Dream Whip in half and put the other half into Ziploc bags for a later time.

The lemon and chocolate cakes are the most popular ones that I make. When I do the lemon cakes, I always use the lemon filling (either mixed with buttercream or not) in the middle. It's always a hit.

You can do the same thing with a spice cake mix -- just substitute butterscotch cooked and instant pudding -- use the chocolate cake recipe as a model if you want to make the supped up spice cake. I frost the spice cake with butterscotch frosting. That's the cake my family loves.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 9:18pm
post #17 of 22

I started out doing only scratch cakes. After learning how to 'doctor' them up, I was sold on box cakes. I give most of my cakes away as gifts and the cost of a scratch and a box cake is uncomparable. It really depends on your situation. I can get a box cake mix for .83 cents on sale at Walmart. There is no way I could do a scratch for that. A box mix with an extender tastes just as fabulous as my scratch ones did.
icon_wink.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 9:20pm
post #18 of 22

I use the boxes as my cake bse 98% of the time. I always get rave reviews (and have for years!) I always Dr. them some, but nothing beats the predictability, consistency, and taste of a good cake made from a mix. thumbs_up.gif

sabbrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabbrina Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 9:22pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Quote:

Chocolate Cake Recipe

2 Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Devils Food cake mixes (again the best brand to use)
2 1/3 cups water
1 cup Crisco oil
8 large eggs
1 small box chocolate instant pudding
1 small box cooked cooked pudding (it's the kind that you would have to cook on the stove and is usually right next to the instant)
2 Tbsp Apple Cider vinegar (works better than plain vinegar)

Why do you use 1 box of instant and 1 box of cooked pudding mix? I have always used either or. Does it make a difference and you have to use 1 of each?

These sound great by the way.

I am planning on making my own birthday cake for this weekend and am going to try the chocolate cake recipe.

Thanks for posting it icon_smile.gif

DebraJ Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 9:39pm
post #20 of 22

I'm not sure why Margie used one box of the cooked pudding and one of the instant. I've never tried it any other way -- it comes out lighter than any other cake I've tasted.

Dana0323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana0323 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 9:46pm
post #21 of 22

Thanks for the tips and recipes!

starrchaser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starrchaser Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 10:17pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles777

Debra , i have a stupid question though...when you use the pudding do i like make the pudding like normal and then mix it in with the cake, or just poor the powder into the mixture..if that makes sense....

no you dont need to prepar the pudding just throw it in. Gives the cake a nice moist texture. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%