Pound Cake Bakers, Please Help!!

Decorating By shawmonica Updated 16 Sep 2007 , 12:03am by shawmonica

shawmonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shawmonica Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 12:34pm
post #1 of 8

I have a bride that has requested a pound cake for her wedding. She wants square cakes and the bottom layer is to be 16"!! (yikes) My question is, can any pound cake recipe be baked in the square pans or do I need a special recipe?? I have some Southern Living recipes that I am thinkin of trying. If anyone on here has a better suggestion, I would gladly appreciate. This is my first attempt at pound cake. Thank you all so much.

7 replies
AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 8

Pound cake will work in a square pan. I would suggest that you place a couple of flower nails in the pan upside down to work as a heating core though. I have baked pound cake in almost any shaped pan and it works as long as I use the flower nails.

shawmonica Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks so much Anything Sugar. I appreciate your help. Do you happen to use a special pound cake recipe or would any recipe work? I am thinking of trying the Southern Living one that uses sour cream.

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 2:53am
post #4 of 8

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I have an old fashioned pound cake that I have made in round pans several times and it turned out good. I have a really good white chocolate pound cake but I have only made it in a tube pan so I don't know how it will do in smaller pans. Now there is something else for me to try.

I feel certain that the sour cream pound cake from Southern Living is good. Almost all of the recipes from there that I have tried were great.

If you want pound cake recipes, please free free to pm me and I will gladly send you some recipes to try.

ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 3:12am
post #5 of 8

Here is my pound cake recipe I use it all the time and it taste great.

3 cups sugar
2 sticks of real butter (room temp)
2 teaspoons of vanilla
6 eggs
3 cups of cake flour
1 cup of heavy whipping cream

Mix sugar and butter together, add vanilla, add eggs one at a time.The alternate flour and cream. Bake at 325 for 45 minutes. You baking time may vary depending on your oven.

This recipe makes one good size 10 inch square. I like to make mine pretty thick so that when it bakes it comes up to the top of the pan, then I just take a knife and level it off before I remove the cake from the pan.

I am baking one right now and it sure smells great.

Sorry I had to edit my post I forgot to add the eggs. icon_confused.gif They are in the recipe now.

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 3:23am
post #6 of 8

Do you own the "Cake Mix Doctor" book? There is a White Chocolate Pound Cake Recipe in that book that is delicious.

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 3:28am
post #7 of 8

That's the Elvis pound cake. I've been looking for a good recipe. I need to try that one.

shawmonica Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 12:03am
post #8 of 8

Thank you guys so much. I atcually have tried 4 different recipes, one like the one listed, one with sour cream, one with cream cheese and on with buttermilk. I think that they all turned out good. The bride and groom are coming tomorrow to taste test. I have iced them in regular buttercream and in buttercream with almond flavor. Wish me luck. Again, thank you all so much for your responses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%