Freezing Worries

Decorating By Joannah Updated 8 Nov 2006 , 8:06pm by Sugarcoat

Joannah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joannah Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 11

Ok, I've got 5 cakes I'm doing for Friday. I was wondering if I bake them now and wrap like crazy (unfrosted) in saran and then in foil or in a large ziplock, will they taste ok? There's no way I can do them all the day before and I'm just worried that they'll still taste good. Does anyone do this?

10 replies
fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 11

Just wrap them good in saran and they should be fine.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 11

i haven't done this yet but a lot of people on here do freeze them first. The wrapping is the key and it looks like you have the right idea.

doleta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doleta Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 11

I just did this with my grandson's first BD cake. It tasted fresh as can be. Now I'm not afraid to freeze anymore. icon_biggrin.gif

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 11

I'm in the same situation as you and I have baked and frozen all of them. I have done this before and everyone still raved about the cakes ... so I don't worry anymore if it's for a short period of time. I don't freeze for more than a couple of days though.

olana11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olana11 Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 11

I almost always freeze my cakes and have always had compliments. I wrap in wax paper then Saran then put in a ziploc bag. thumbs_up.gif

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 11

I just bake for family and friends I allways freeze my cakes about 3- 4 weeks in advance. Never had a problem, allways great reviews of the cake.

Just make sure you keep a box of baking soda in freeze to absorb any orders that may be in their. You do not want your cakes to absorb any order.

Good luck

neni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neni Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 7:06pm
post #8 of 11

I just tried this for the first time, just be sure to wrap it really well. I wrapped in two layers of plastic, then two layers of foil. I was worried about it getting that freezer taste, but it didn't it was still very good.

lanesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanesmom Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 7:15pm
post #9 of 11

I did my sister's wedding cake last month and since I was the matron of honor I knew I wouldn't have time to bake the cakes the week of the wedding with everything that would be going on. I baked all the layers, 10 in all, crumb coated, wrapped in two layers of saran wrap and two layers of heavy duty foil. One thing I did do that I found worked pretty well was I would put the cake back in the pan that I baked it in and put it in the freezer with just a cover of foil over it for a couple of hours and let it get pretty firm before I would take it out of the pan and then wrap it all up. I found that when I wrapped it before it was frozen, if I didn't have it sitting just right in the freezer then it would get a little deformed. Then when I was ready to start decorating, all I did was take them out of the freezer and when they were still frozen I filled between the two layers and let it thaw that way. Once they were completely thawed, I was able to decorate. It worked great for me that way and the cakes were very moist and still fresh tasting and I got lots of compliments. HTH!

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 1:58am
post #10 of 11

I always freeze, ziploc 2 gallon size are a great size for freezing all size cakes.

Sugarcoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarcoat Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:06pm
post #11 of 11

I make my cakes ahead and freeze them all the time. Just make sure they are well wrapped in plastic wrap as it comes off easily from the frozen cake. Also, I frost them frozen. They crumb less when you spread the frosting this way. I don't usually have time to bake and decorate in the same day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%