How To Make Helmet Glossy

Decorating By ladyonzlake Updated 29 Dec 2013 , 7:12am by Boyka

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 2:17am
post #1 of 20

I'm making a fondant covered Seahawks football helmet 3-D cake and was wondering if you use pearl dust or confectioners glaze to make it shiny. The helmet is Navy blue. If you have other suggestions to make it glossy I'd love to hear it!
Jacqui

19 replies
Hula_girl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hula_girl3 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 6:29am
post #2 of 20

Hi there I made a Raiders helmet last month and used Luster Dusts to make all the silver. For the Black strip down the center I actually used Black Liquid Gel dye and diluted it just a tad with Rum and painted that on and it stayed totally shiny.
You can see how the two looked on my helmet in my pics on here.
To get your Navy shade though I would try Midnight Blue and Navy together so then you get a nice shimmer. Use Rum or Vodka and paint it on with a very soft bristled brush (look at the paint brushes in a art store) or you can airbrush it on if you have one of those.

Good Luck with your helmet!!!

ladyonzlake Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:21am
post #3 of 20

Thank you hula_girl3. I did make a small 6" sample one. I had trouble with the pearl dust. It didnt' go on evenly. Did you use silver luster dust or pearl dust? Do you have any tips? Also, how did you make your mask? I used wire and covered it with fondant but I didn't like how it looked. Do you have your own edible printer or did you take it to a store? I was wondering if Walmart could do that for me or if it was copy right so they may not. I'll attach the picture of my sample cake. Please give me any tips you can. Oh my husband said I placed the logo on incorrectly so I now know for the 10" cake I'll be making. Thanks in advance!

Jacqui
LL

infields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infields Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 20

I just rub my fondant with crisco to make it shiny. You can see it on my leather cap:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=785543

Hula_girl3 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:49am
post #5 of 20

Jacqui

I used a mixture of Luster and Petal dusts to create that shade of gray and silver, and I mixed those with rum and then applied.
Were you trying to brush it on dry? If you were then that is your problem right there, if not provide me with a little more details as to what you did so I can figure out what went wrong.

I used a product from a company called Swiss Chalet for my Face mask....I believe the name is Deco Magic and its a "sugar paste" I just rolled out a strip and then cut it to the center and incerted a wire that was already bent into the right shape. Then I just pinched it and smoothed it with my hands and painted it after it was attached. On my face mask I went strait into the side of the helmet instead of taking them up to connect in one point like you did, that made assembly for me easier since I just stabbed it all into the cake.

If you decide you do not want to use any Pearl, Petal or Luster dust I would suggest just painting on an extract like Lemon, Almond or a Clear Vanilla so that when the guest go to taste the fondant it has a nicer flavor to it. To do that just take a soft paint brush (u can get that at any art supply store) and dip it in a little bowl of the Extract and then just start painting it on.

Hope this helps,
Belinda

ladyonzlake Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 2:20am
post #6 of 20

Thank you Belinda! Yes, I did try to apply pearl dust on dry. It looked terrible! I'll try to apply wet instead. Yes, my husband made a wire mask and he sinched the ends. I tried covering with fondant and the inside of the mask look terrible since I couldn't smooth it and I was having a terrible time with Satin Ice. It got so sticky when I added the Americolor gel coloring to it. So what is the Deco Magic? I'll have to look it up.

Jacqui

Hula_girl3 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 2:40am
post #7 of 20

Its this soft but firm product that I guess would be like a modeling chocolate and its very white. I just molded it then painted it but you can die it, just knead it with cornstarch if u can get ahold of it. If not you can always try modeling chocolate or as its also known as chocolate plastique.

When I made my mask I had just used those long strips of floral wire they sell at micheals that are coated in that green stuff. Their pretty easy to bend into the shape you need and the stuff sticks to em.

Glad I could help,
Belinda

ladyonzlake Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 3:01am
post #8 of 20

I found a recipe for modeling chocolate. So you don't have to make the face mask in advance? It's sturdy enough to make it and use it right away and it holds it's shape with the wire?

Jacqui

ladyonzlake Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 3:09am
post #9 of 20

My worry is that my customer is picking it up and traveling by car an hour away so I need to make sure it will survive the trip.

Jacqui

Hula_girl3 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 3:20am
post #10 of 20

ah I would freeze it for an hour to help it with the trip and if you paint it then they wont notice any sweating that may occure

ladyonzlake Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 12:34am
post #11 of 20

Belinda, I'm starting on my helmet cake and I have another question. Did you make the mask after you made and carved the cake or did you make it in advance?
Jacqui

Hula_girl3 Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 4:32am
post #12 of 20

I made it after i carved it so that i could mold the wires to what i needed exactly and after that i covered them with my sugar paste. I painted the face mask after I finished decorating the helmet and attached it so I wouldnt get any finger prints in the mask.

ladyonzlake Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 2:55pm
post #13 of 20

I'm sorry about so many questions but I have another, did you use royal icing to adhere the mask to itself (where it's bars cross each other)?

Jacqui

Hula_girl3 Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 4:21am
post #14 of 20

Oh no worries at all with the questions....isnt that what we're all hear for?
Since I used the Deco Magic I didnt need royal icing cuz the stuff just needed a small touch of water and it stuck to itself. On my mask those little connector pieces have small bits of wire to i just carefully ballanced them on each other and then smoothed the seems together. By having the wire in the connectors I was able to have the mask standing out far without worrying about how it would sag as the cake got soft.

You can use the royal icing but I would have a thin paint brush handy so you can use it to wipe away any excess that pops out of the seems. Then you can keep it looking clean and more realistic. I would also suggest using internal wire in those small pieces so they dont get too top heavy.

Let me know how it works out and if you have any more questions.

Good luck,
Belinda

ladyonzlake Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 2:50pm
post #15 of 20

Thanks again Belinda...I'll post my picture. You've been a big help!

Jacqui

ladyonzlake Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 6:38am
post #16 of 20

Okay, so here it is. I started out with using gumpaste for the mask and letting it dry for a couple of days. Friday came (cake was due next afternoon) and the mask crumbled in my hands. This was at 4pm. I was also hoping to use a friends edible printer for the logo and it wasn't working so I lost 4 hours (1-4pm). So now my cake is carved and crumb coated and it's already 4pm on Friday...YIKES!
I took Belinda's advice and started using floral wire to design my mask, covered it in gumpaste...and it worked. I coved my cake in fondant (did it twice) and even then I wasn't totally happy as it had stretched a bit forming "elephant" skin just above the face area but I had to move onward as time was running out. I made my logo by cutting out the shape using black and blue fondant and laying it on the white fondant background...wow...looked great and things were moving along. I finished at 10pm. Still not happy with the stretched out elephant skin fondant but I had to live with it and hope the customer was going to be happy with it. She had friends pick it up and they loved it so hopefully she will too. The party is tommorrow for the Seahawk's game and it's a surprise for her husband. Whew! Thank Belinda and everyone else for all of your help...I couldn't have done it without you!
Jacqui
LL

Hula_girl3 Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 6:15pm
post #17 of 20

Wow that looks really great! You did a fantastic job and I love how you covered your board too! I think your hard work has paid off.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 28 Dec 2013 , 6:05pm
post #18 of 20

Hello to all,

I know this is an old thread but I'm doing a helmet cake for my son's birthday and this info came just perfect. Thank you ladies!!

Oh btw, it's a Seahawks helmet Ladyonzlake :-)

Milchis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Milchis Posted 29 Dec 2013 , 4:21am
post #19 of 20

Hi Rosie!

Somehow I came across this comment. I have never made a shiny finish but I read that if you mix a little corn syrup with vodka and then brush it on the fondant, it stays shiny.I'd start with equal amounts of vodka/corn syrup and the keep adding until you get a consistency that it' easy to apply. You may need to do several coats, I guess you can first try it on a small piece of fondant as a test. Good luck amiga!!

Boyka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boyka Posted 29 Dec 2013 , 7:12am
post #20 of 20

AYou can use confectioners glaze http://www.globalsugarart.com/confectioners-glaze-ounces-p-23836.html ...its relaly easy to work with, and the result is great... smells like nail polish, but its edible :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%