Writing On Cake

Decorating By cpr040304 Updated 8 Sep 2007 , 2:05am by mcassada

cpr040304 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cpr040304 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 12:56am
post #1 of 11

What is the secret in writing beautifully on cakes?

10 replies
ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 1:05am
post #2 of 11

I would like to know that too. My writting is awful. icon_cry.gif I tell people I don't write on cakes, for good reason to.

Liz1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz1028 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 1:06am
post #3 of 11

The thing I used to tell my students when I used to teach cake decorating for writing was to remember when we were young girls writing notes to our friends; everything was loopy and bubbly. If you can think back to that and apply that to your writing it will definitely help.

The other key is to make it flow without stopping and the pressure on your bag has to be even as well. Let the icing fall naturally onto the cake and don't press the tip into the writing.

Writing on a cake is definitely much different than writing on paper and you have to Over Exaggerate! icon_wink.gif

AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 1:07am
post #4 of 11

As someone who's been complimented often on my writing (thanks, everyone!) - it takes practice. Make sure your icing isn't real thick, too. Practice on wax paper or something so that you can get the "feel" of writing with a bag of icing - it is quite different than writing with a pen or pencil. Having good penmenship to begin with is also a plus!!!
Again - practice, Practice, PRACTICE!!!!! icon_smile.gif

chqtpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chqtpi Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 1:08am
post #5 of 11

well a few tips that may help you icon_smile.gif

i twist my bag about 3-4 inches from the tip to make sure there is enuogh pressure...and I find that it cuts down on air bubbles that way....

i also try to make sure that my hand has proper support....maybe at the beginning have the hand that you are not using resting on the table and cupping your elbow

so slowly at first icon_smile.gif and keep even pressure...(dont jerk your squeezing in the middle of letters icon_smile.gif

i hope this helps and my explanations make sense...all I know is I write better on cakes than on paper icon_smile.gif lol....

best of luck!

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 1:09am
post #6 of 11

I use a No. 5 tip and icing in a thinner consistency so less effort is needed to squeeze and it just "ropes" out of the tip easily as I go.

Before I got comfortable with writing, I would practice on paper plates and paper towels over and over again. I printed out tons of different fonts on my computer and stared at them like a zombie LOL and just piped various words hundreds of time....

now if I could just make a frikkin rose that didnt look wilted lol

tasteebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteebakes Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 1:13am
post #7 of 11

I always use parchment bags and I add water to my icing to make it thinner, but not too thin because then it will bleed!

campbelland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
campbelland Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 1:25am
post #8 of 11

I always use tip #2 to do all my writing and it takes lots of practice like a lot of other things do. Sandy

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 1:37am
post #9 of 11

I teach my students when they write on cakes to use their whole arm, not just their hand to write..and allow the icing to fall freely keeping your pressure consistent,yet controlled...I will also tell them to practice on the bottom of the cake pan of the cake your writing on to get a good idea of the size and style of the font your trying to achieve ...this way you can wipe the icing off the cake pan and redo it as many times as you need to using this method..HTH's,Mary birthday.gif

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 1:57am
post #10 of 11

I always found the cake height was the thing that made it difficult...keeping my arm up in the air while writing...so what I do is rest my left elbow (southpaw) on my Wilton fishing tackle box (the pink and cream one)...it's a great height and keeps my arm from shaking...

Use a stack of books or anything to keep your elbow at around the same height as the cake...like resting your elbow on the desk whilst you write..

HTH

mcassada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcassada Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 2:05am
post #11 of 11

I add piping gel and it does help me
and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%