White Cake Recipe With Splenda

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 12 Nov 2006 , 6:43pm by dldbrou

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 13

Does anyone have a good tasting, moist white cake recipe that uses all splenda?

Need it ASAP.

thanks!

12 replies
loriemoms Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 12:21pm
post #2 of 13

Anyone? has anyone tried the recipe on the splenda box? (the baking splenda)

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 12:24pm
post #3 of 13

Bump!

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 13

I found this recipe at http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spring-fling-layered-white-cake/detail.aspx
I haven't tried it yet, but I will soon, for my diabetic husband's birthday.

Cake
* 3 3/4 cups cake flour
* 1 1/2 cups SPLENDA® Granular
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
* 7 egg whites
* 1 1/4 cups reduced-fat buttermilk
* 1 tablespoon vanilla
* 1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Icing
* 1/2 cup light butter, softened
* 1 cup SPLENDA® Granular
* 1 pound fat free cream cheese
* 2 teaspoons vanilla
* Filling
* 3/4 cup reduced sugar apricot preserves
* 1 pint strawberries, thinly sliced

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray two 9-inch cake pans with baking spray. Set aside.
2. Make cake. Sift flour into a large mixing bowl. Add SPLENDA® Granular, flour, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. Mix with an electric mixer on low speed until ingredients are blended. Add softened butter. Mix on low speed until butter is very finely distributed (approx. 2-3 minutes).
3. Add egg whites. Mix on low speed until incorporated. Scrape sides of bowl. Mix on medium-high speed 1-2 minutes or until batter is light and well blended. Scrape sides of bowl. Add buttermilk and extracts. Mix on medium speed until blended.
4. Pour cake batter into prepared pans. Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven for 20-25 minutes or until edges of cake appear slightly dry. Allow cake to cool in pans for10-15 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks until ready to ice.
5. Prepare Icing. Beat softened butter and SPLENDA® briefly in a medium mixing bowl, until SPLENDA® is just incorporated. Add cream cheese. Mix until lump free, approx. 1 min. Scrape sides of bowl and add vanilla. Mix well.
6. Assemble cake. Slice cooled cake layers in half. Using a serrated knife slice cakes in half horizontally, to create 4 cake layers.
7. Place 1 cake layer on cake stand or plate. Spread 1/3 of the preserves over the cake layer. Top with 1/3 of the strawberries. Repeat process until all layers are assembled.*
8. Ice cake.*Decorating Tip: Professionals create flat cake tops by using the bottom layer of a cake for the top tier. This creates a nice flat surface for icing. The remaining cake bottom can be used as the first layer of the cake and the remaining 2 cake layers can be placed in the middle (top side down).

Exchanges per serving: 2 1/2 carbohydrate, 2 fat

gibbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibbler Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 2:35am
post #5 of 13

My DH is diabetic. We typically use "regular" recipes and change the sugar amounts. We've found that by using 1/4 cup of sugar in most recipes, they will bake like a "regular" cake. If the recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar, we use 3/4 cup of splenda and 1/4 cup of sugar.

Some people have commented to me that they find splenda to be sweeter than sugar, but this works for us.

There are some good diabetic recipes on the recipes page.

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 2:43am
post #6 of 13

As a former diabetic I also found the artificial sweetners alot sweeter than sugar so I used to put a little less than the recipe called for

loriemoms Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 11:11am
post #7 of 13

Thanks, I had already looked at the recipe section and there wasn't any recipe for white cake. (there was a "guilt free" receipe that it was just basically taking a box of cake mix and making that!) I read on the splenda site to make cakes rise better to use some non fat dry milk and baking soda for every cup of splenda, yet they don't use that in thier recipes! So found it very confusing.

I am experementing today, so will let you know how it the white cake recipe turns out and will post the one I come up with!

loriemoms Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 1:18pm
post #8 of 13

Ok, I tried the white recipe with the buttermilk, etc. The cake turned out very pale (as expected) and rose very little. The cake is moist, but has a funky kind of pasty texture to it in your mouth. Like eating a dense pancake. The flavor was also very bland. (I followed the recipe to the letter..)

I am off to try another recipe I found, and if that doesn't work, guess I will have to invent one! Will let y;all know how that goes!
LL

loriemoms Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 2:21pm
post #9 of 13

ok, I found another recipe that was really good! The cake rose nicely, and it doesnt' taste like regular cake, but its pretty good. Very moist, and light, not that heavy flavor, but a little on the sweet side.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend for Baking
3 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups buttermilk, divided
4 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS
PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease and flour 2 eight-inch cake pans. Set aside.
PLACE SPLENDA® Sugar Blend for Baking, flour, baking powder and baking soda together in a medium bowl. Stir until well blended.
CUT butter into chunks. Add to flour mixture. Mix at medium speed until mixture is crumbly in appearance (about one minute).
POUR 1/4 cup buttermilk into the flour mixture. Mix at low speed until blended.
BLEND remaining buttermilk, egg yolks, and vanilla together in a small bowl. Add 1/2 of the mixture to the flour mixture. Mix at medium high speed until well blended (about 30-45 seconds). Scrape sides of bowl. Add remaining milk mixture. Mix until well blended. Scrape sides of bowl and mix again if necessary, to remove any lumps.
SPOON batter into prepared pans.
BAKE for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
COOL for 15 minutes on rack before removing from pans. Once cool, frost as desired.
Exchanges per serving: 2 Starch, 2 Fat
LL

gibbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibbler Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 4:56pm
post #10 of 13

Here's a link to the one I saw on the recipes page. When I read it again, I realized you have to have sorbitol as an ingredient. I bought some sorbitol online a few years back (in both sugar and brown sugar) but it was 11 bucks a pound thumbsdown.gif ... You may be able to find it in your area, and if so...it really works well. It's what a lot of companies use in the Adkins stuff and sugar-free chocolates.

The second cake you posted looks really yummy!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2010-3-Diabetic-White-Cake.html

mxdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxdiva Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 5:02pm
post #11 of 13

check the slpenda website it has more than one www.splenda.com

loriemoms Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 5:21pm
post #12 of 13

The recipe for Sorbitol didnt have any real sugar in it...you need at least a LITTLE sugar for cakes to work, from what I understand.

This recipe I posted isn't all that bad..I highly recommend it.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 6:43pm
post #13 of 13

I have a Splenda Recipe cookbook, I haven't tried the recipe. but I'll put it up here for you to decide.
Ingredients:
2 cups cake flour
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup margarine or butter
1/2 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup & 2 tablespoons 1 % milk

NOTE: when you cream a solid fat with sugar, the sharp edges of the sugar crystals cut against the fat and help the fat trap air, building lightness and volume. This cake uses the creaming method to tak advantage of the sugar in Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking to create a nice, tall cake.

Steps:
1. Preheat oven to 350`F. Spray an 8-inch round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, nonfat milk powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside

3. In another medium bowl, cream margarine and Splenda Sugar Blend with an electric mixer for 3-4 minutes or until creamy. Add egg and extracts and beat until light and fluffy.

4. With mixer on very low speed, briefly beat in 1/3 of flour mixture and then 1/2 of that milk. Repeat once more and finish off with last of flour mixture.

5. Gently spread batter into prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until center of cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Loosen cake from pan and let cool.

Per Serving:
Calories 150 Fat 5 grams (2.5 saturated)
Carbohydrate 23 grams Fiber 0 grams
Protien 4 grams Sodium 200 milligrams

Diabetic exchange = 1 1/2 Carbohydrate, 1 Fat
ww point conmarison = 3 points

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%