Swiss Colony Is Selling Cake Balls!

Decorating By hockeygirl658 Updated 2 Dec 2006 , 6:16pm by playingwithsugar

hockeygirl658 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hockeygirl658 Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 24

I was going through yesterdays mail and saw that we got a Swiss Colony catalouge. I was flipping through looking for flavor combinations that I could use and saw this.

http://www.swisscolony.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=2207&keyword=dirt+balls

It's our cake balls! Selling for just over a dollar each. icon_biggrin.gif

23 replies
nichi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nichi Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 24

Good idea to put cream in the center....
I guess you could freeze some center balls and form the cake around them.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 24

Geez - calling them "dirt balls" doesn't make me want to try them!

nichi Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 24

Yea that is kinda gross... but I suppose they have to put a nice spin on getting rid of cookie crumbs.

RitzyFritz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RitzyFritz Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 24

Do you think they got the idea from CC??!! Or am I naive to think that only good stuff like this comes from "us"? LOL!! (Just kidding!)

JasmineRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JasmineRose Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 24

I wouldn't be surprised if someone working there did get the idea from CC.

Based on their name, they don't sound appetizing in the least and I wouldn't be inclined to try them. But they do appear to work with the matching Yule log linked on the same page.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 24

I was planning on trying my hand at making "our" cake balls (lol) for the up-coming holidays. My mother always buys from them, she gets their petite-fours (sp) and free truffles every year for her Christmas Open House Party and I figured if I can save her some money maybe she'll buy me an extra present lmao. Gotta love ya mommy lol. But I was thinking on how I could get some kind of eggnog flavored cream or icing into the center and I have this thing that came with one of my baking kits, it's a plastic cheapo decorating "jar" with different tips... plastic tips... and one of them is an injector tip I was thinking of making the cake balls and injecting them but that wouldn't work I don't think so I'm glad someone posted this as well as the idea to freeze some centers and wrap the cake around it. Now if only I could find that thread on how to make the cake balls again lol.

nichi Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:07pm
post #8 of 24

Oh eggnog centers sounds good too. You think you could make pastry cream using egg nog instead of reg cream?
I think Im gonna try it and see how it comes out icon_cool.gif

OhMyGoodies Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 24

NO!!!!!!!! lol just kidding I love sharing ideas with people Please PLEASE! tell me how they turn out, the people she invites are the people she works with one day and the next day is people she graduated with and the next day is people she's known since before we kids were born so I want it to perfectly and without any hitches lol. So if they taste good I gotta ask can you share the recipe you use lol and would someone! please PM me with exactly how to make cake balls lol

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:22pm
post #10 of 24

just aan idea... why not just bake an eggnog cake and make the truffles... or either use the eggnog flavored creamer that they just brought out for the holidays.... you could flavor your icing, shape the icing into balls, freeze them and then wrap the cake truffle mixture around that... freeze again then dip....Did I make sense...

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:26pm
post #11 of 24

OhMyGoodies the recipe is on here somewhere but, there are so many things you could do... I just take my cake and crumble it very fine and add a little frosting.. then dip... but others add nuts, choc chips etc... it's whatever you want.

starrchaser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starrchaser Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:31pm
post #12 of 24

mmmmmmm those look yummy! cheese cake centers comes to mind. (drool)

doleta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doleta Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 8:49pm
post #13 of 24

They look like sea turtle eggs that have been buried in the sand.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 9:08pm
post #14 of 24

JasmineRose wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if someone working there did get the idea from CC

I remember a thread a long while back looking for another name for cake balls........makes me say Hmmmmmmm.

Thinking......
Chocolate cake balls with carmel injected middle covered in chocolate......
Or carrot cake, dipped in the Jello Cream Cheese Cake before it sets and then dip the balls in nuts.......do ya think it might work?

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 10:40pm
post #15 of 24

I buy from Swiss Colony every year, have for decades. Most of their things are very nice.
If anyone is thinking of buying these -I got them on a free coupon last year - I don't recommend them. The cake is flavorless, the texture is plain weird... You ladies and gents can do much better than theirs.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 10:48pm
post #16 of 24

Gee, they get $18.95 for 18 "dirt balls" - that is over $1 each! A little too much dont' you think? As far as centers for our cake balls, the only thing I can think of is to form them around some sort of nut, like almonds.

OhMyGoodies Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 1:16pm
post #17 of 24

I was thinking about the way they advertise them... "A Swiss Colony kitchen original recipe" or something to that point... Wouldn't it be lying if ONE of their people actually came here and got the ideas? I was telling hubby that as far as I knew no one but CC members had ever spoke of them, as stated before Mom shops there EVERY year and I've never seen them in the book before. I saw earlier in this thread they offered them last year but it just seems funny that this is the only place most people have heard of them being mentioned and now they claim they created these balls..... If they stole from us they have some big ones I'll tell ya lmao.

Although I know everyone has the same ideas as someone else but it just seems fishy to me lol. But what can we do? Protest and say "NO WE INVENTED CAKE BALLS!!!! YOU CAN'T HAVE THEM!!! WE WON'T SHARE!!!" lmao nope can't do that lol.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:39pm
post #18 of 24

Of course they look in these forums to see what we are doing! I recognized a vendor I deal with for certain equipment, here in the forums just recently. I e-mailed her about seeing her, and she said that she always checks into the forums to see what we are doing, to get new ideas for her business. She is a small business, so if she is doing it, what is going to make us think big corporations aren't doing it?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:43pm
post #19 of 24

Heck, I check on this site for ideas; unfortunately not talented/artistic enough to come up with my own.... icon_redface.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 2:47pm
post #20 of 24

Yes, but at least we are here to help each other. They are lurking around just to make big money off our ideas.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 3:03pm
post #21 of 24

I wonder when the cake ball "craze" started?

The recipe I posted here was given to me by a co-worker at least five years ago if not longer. It's been a relatively well-kept secret for a long time!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 5:39pm
post #22 of 24

I believe it was Miss Baritone who posted that rum balls in England are traditionally made of cake, so that means they've been around for quite awhile. Someone else mentioned Germany makes them out of cake, also.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 6:11pm
post #23 of 24

Yum yum!!! they do look good....

how about dulce du leche in the center? Remember all those threads on making sweetened condensed milk into caramel? Maybe if you put just drops of it on parchment and freeze the drops, you caould mold the cake balls around them. Oh, I have to go try this.... icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 2 Dec 2006 , 6:16pm
post #24 of 24

Oh, Irene! I saw those dirt balls and thought about getting out my #100 scoop and making balls of dulce and BC and freezing them, then putting the cake around them!

Great minds think alike!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%