Pricing For Individual Fondant Cakes

Business By amandasweetcakes Updated 11 Sep 2007 , 4:40am by FrostinGal

amandasweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandasweetcakes Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 14

Hi everybody. I have a potential order for 26 mini tiffany box cakes. Each cake would be 3" sq, covered in blue fondant and tied with a fondant bow.

How much would you charge??

I was thinking $20.00 each. I know that sounds high, but the fondant and bow creat so much extra labor.

13 replies
amandasweetcakes Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 14

bump

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 14

i hate to undercut your price, and i don't know what part of the country you are in... but i think i would charge $10 each.

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 14

I think I would charge about $15 per cake. The cake serves about 3 right? I would charge $5 a serving for the amount of work involved.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 10:30pm
post #5 of 14

these will be *a lot!* of work. Do not undercharge.
Depending on where you are located my guess is your price is right on.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyGrace

I think I would charge about $15 per cake. The cake serves about 3 right? I would charge $5 a serving for the amount of work involved.

this is the price per serving i assumed, but i estimated that each 3x3 would serve two people...

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 10:41pm
post #7 of 14

It depends on your location, but I couldn't charge that price. I wouldn't think a 3" cake would serve more than 2 people so even at $5 per serving, that only comes to $10.

Are you talking about a tiffany style that has the separate lid or just the square with the appearance of a lid? I've seen them done both ways. No separate lid and I'd probably charge $10. With a lid, I'd just cry that I had to do them and charge $15.

I just did a dozen monster cupcakes and did the dozen for $60. Mine served 2 people. I didn't have to do bows of course, but did have to do the feet, hands, hair etc. That's just as much as I can get away with here.

But, if that's the going rate in your area, go for it!

marecip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marecip Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 11:04pm
post #8 of 14

I would say a min. $15. If you can get $20 in your area go for it! Be sure and post what you price you get and some pics on this thread.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 11:17pm
post #9 of 14

For something like that I would probably charge $15.00 each... ONLY because you have an order for 26, if it was for less than 12 then I would charge $20. Now normally I try to stay away from discounting when they order more, however for these small ones I would not have much waste (according to my recipes and what I would use)

So you might want to figure out what it would take for you to make these, and figure what your cost is for an entire batch (like if you only need 1 1/2 batches of cake mix charge for 2 - it's waste and should be accounted for in your price)

Pretty much anything under a 6" double layer cake is going to cost a lot from me b/c they are such a pain in the rear.

Have you made these before? Do you know how long it will take you to make them? You may want to figure up the time it will take then subtract your cost (again for everything that you use, not just what will be going to the customer) and then divide that dollar by how many hours it will take you... are you comfortable with earning that per hour?

amandasweetcakes Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 1:55pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks, everyone. I haven't made these particular cakes before, but I just made table cakes for a wedding and it was a lot more work than I anticipated and I definitely undercharged. I'm figuring time to make 26 bows, cutting of strips for ribbon sides, and covering each little cake. I wonder if covering a tiny cake is more difficult than a larger cake? I'm thinking it might be.

spring55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring55 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 9:28am
post #11 of 14

I would charge $20 as well. They are alot of work. Are you putting them in individual boxes or will they be boxed together?

mmmmmcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmcake Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 9:48am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

these will be *a lot!* of work. Do not undercharge.
Depending on where you are located my guess is your price is right on.

I completely agree!!!!! In my pics are my mini cakes......I sell for AU$17.00 each - with no bow!! These take soooo much work!
Have fun! icon_smile.gif

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 10:05am
post #13 of 14

Hi,

I can't help with the pricing in your part of the world but I just wanted to add this.

Those little cakes are a pain and so time consuming. I just did an order for 60 and I definately undercharged for them. They are in my pics if you want to have a look.

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 4:40am
post #14 of 14

I just did 3" round cakes this last weekend and they were truly a pain and very time consuming. (I did thorougly love how they came out, though!) I cut 24 circles from a 12x18x1" sheet pan which gave me 12 cakes. Icing them was the most difficult and time consuming. I'd imagine that covering squares with fondant would be even more difficult than circles! Large squares are hard enough, unless you cut "X" shaped fondant that "folds" over the cakes and creates seams at the corners. (Saw this on a UK website.)
At the very minimum, $15 per cake would be a good starting price. Add a dollar or two for the bows you'll have to make and the ribbon accent, plus the lids.
While the cakes feed two per person, isn't the reason of having mini cakes so that each guest gets their own? That seems a bit odd to me.
JMO

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%