Cookies That Ship Well -And Shipping Tips??

Baking By Auryn Updated 27 Sep 2007 , 6:55pm by DeKoekjesfee

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 17

Hi all
I want to send a friend some cookies by mail- priority shipping since Im in FL and shes in CO.

Do you guys have a good recipe that ships well?
Im thinking either chocolate chip or sugar cookies.

oh and do you have any tips for shipping cookies?

thanks

16 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 17

I have shipped chocolate chip, decorated sugar (with antonia's icing), peanut butter, oatmeal cookies. All with no problems.

I wrapped them individually or in ziplock bags in single layers. Then I layered as following:
packing peanuts
layer of bubble wrap
then cookies
then bubble wrap
then peanuts
bubble wrap
cookies
bubble wrap
peanuts...
etc...

Now I only use the bubble wrap for sugar cookies, Some times I just layer the bubble wrap and other times I wrap the entire cookie in bubble wrap before I put it in.

Take a look at the following tutorial for shipping cookie boquets.. This is where I got the idea... I just simplified it for flat cookies.

HTH

http://cakecentral.com/article93-How-to-Package--Ship-Cookie-Bouquets.html

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 17

i ship my cookies all the time and i can't stress enough that you can't have too much bubble wrap

bakerj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerj Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:41am
post #4 of 17

i sent 10 bouqets very well pack with bubble wrap..they made it fine..and it wa pa to tenn..

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 6:42am
post #5 of 17

How do you guys ship..... UPS, USPS, FedEx?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

How do you guys ship..... UPS, USPS, FedEx?

I ship through USPS priority 2 day mail, even my larger packages don't cost much. If I know it is going somewhere other than a house then I usually add in a Signed Delivery, done this twice and the recipient was happy b/c of the apartment complexes they lived in.

MichelleM77 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 17

That's the way I was planning to ship too. These are sample cookies for a customer and he knows that it's the first time I've shipped. A trial run for both of us!

megamere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megamere Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 17

UPS, always UPS for me.
I bubble wrap each cookie individually... although I am talking decorated sugar cookies so it is imperative that they do not break!

Not sure how you would send choc. chip ?

Auryn Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 2:58pm
post #9 of 17

thanks for all the tips guys
I plan on shipping my BF some cookies on a regular basis while he is working in Dubai for 6 months.

Im going to send a regular care package first via USPS priority mail to see how long it takes to get to the APO and then to him.

He says he doesnt want to gain weight from my cookies but I'm sure he won't complain once he gets him, nor will his team mates.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 3:11pm
post #10 of 17

I put two sugar, oatmeal, pb, or choc chip back to back and wrap with saran, then package that way. It seems to keep them from breaking completely. Decorated sugar I would wrap in bubble individually too...take too much time and effort to risk breaking!!

MichelleM77 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 3:16pm
post #11 of 17

Okay, just sent my box. From where it was shipped (hubby took it in for me) it's only going about 20 blocks via the post office, so hopefully it will make it okay!

I layered the inside of the box with two layers of bubble wrap, then individually wrapped each cookie with bubble wrap, then laid a layer of cookies and then a sheet of bubble wrap, then another layer of cookies, and one last sheet of bubble wrap on top of that! It was tight enough so that nothing moved when I slightly shook the box. Fingers crossed!

THe lady at the PO asked hubby if there were any liquids in the box. He said no, just cookies. She said they probably weren't going to make it then. He said that I wrapped them really well and she said no, they won't make it....because I'm really hungry right now! LOL! If they make it safely to my customer, I should drop off some thank-you cookies to her.....for not opening the box and eating my cookies! icon_smile.gif

I may use UPS or FedEx for long distance deliveries (only in Ohio by law), but will use the PO for more local shipments since all FedEx shipments are put on a plane and shipped to Memphis and back even if they are just going next door. Poor little cookies.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:26pm
post #12 of 17

When I ship cookies to my father-in-law I pack them in a small can. I use the can for the cookie cutter, and when they are baked they fit right inside with very little movement - movement means crumbs. Granted these aren't fancy cookies, they're things like sugar cookies, gingerbread, pecan sandies, peanut butter cookies...

breelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breelaura Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 3:01pm
post #13 of 17

Don't know how they worked out, but I'll be happy to scan and e-mail the directions that I got from cookiebrigade for sending cookies to Iraq/Afghanistan. The method involves Glad containers, press-n-seal wrap, waxed paper, and plastic grocery bags.

nikki1201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1201 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 3:15pm
post #14 of 17

Glad I came across this one! My best friend just moved to West Virginia, and I'm in Milwaukee.... I've been scared to send her cookies because i don't want her to get a box of crumbs!

Thanks guys! thumbs_up.gif

Auryn Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 3:31pm
post #15 of 17

breelaura i would love those directions
thank u very much

breelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breelaura Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:24pm
post #16 of 17

PM me your email and I'll send them. Remind me in a couple of days if they don't show up... just in case.

DeKoekjesfee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeKoekjesfee Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 6:55pm
post #17 of 17

I ship my cookies with my country mail, like ups.
Also use bubblewrap and stuff. It went well.
For fedex and dhl ans so on, here they state that the package must be able to drop from one meter hight, so...I don't use them.

But last Monday i shipped cookies for the use of babyfavors. The mother was due half october. But the baby came this weekend.
They were supposed to arrive tuesday but they lost the package !
It was somewhere...... Now it is thursday evening and they still haven't got it.
I realy realy am sad about it. The people know that it isn't my fault and everything, but .. you know it is not good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%