Looking For A Scratch White Cake W/the Texture Of Boxed

Decorating By eieio1234 Updated 10 Sep 2007 , 11:53pm by eieio1234

eieio1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eieio1234 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 11:36am
post #1 of 6

The last few white cake recipes I've tried have been way too soft, or have pulled in from the sides, causing a triangle look while cooling (they were not overbaked, the pulled in while cooling). I know technique is a big factor, but I need a great recipe to start with!! THanks!

5 replies
LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 11:41am
post #2 of 6

If you like boxed mixes, why try to duplicate them with scratch? Mixes are consistent and should come out the same every time ... plus they are less work.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 6

The Classic White Cake II recipe on here is good. I'm not saying it's exactly like a box mix but I use it and all the box mix lovers I know really like it.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 6

I really liked the King Arthur Elegant white cake. It had a really nice texture, fairly light with a nice tight crumb and it tasted good too. They recommend using two 9 in pans, but I think 8 in would be better... the layers could have been a little higher. When I was doing research on scratch cakes a while ago this one was one of the most popular along with the WBH white butter cake recipe and one from Cook's illustrated but I haven't tried those yet.

Here's a link to the King Arthur recipe:

http://www.cookiemadness.net/?p=298

Courtney

eieio1234 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgirl1227

The Classic White Cake II recipe on here is good. I'm not saying it's exactly like a box mix but I use it and all the box mix lovers I know really like it.

Thanks! I'll give it a whirl!

eieio1234 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 11:53pm
post #6 of 6

[quote="mamacc"]I really liked the King Arthur Elegant white cake.

I forgot about that one, someone suggested that last year when I was looking for it. Thanks!!! I've also heard WBH is a good one, will try that too icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%