Chocolate Cake

Decorating By amandasmummy Updated 21 Oct 2013 , 7:32pm by PeaceOCakeWY

amandasmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandasmummy Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 5:59am
post #1 of 39

Helloeveryone I am making a two tier cake and wondering, what is the best chocolate cake and filling for something like this, a stupid question i know, but i am only new to this also it will be for a two year old.
thankyou

38 replies
bonnebouche Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnebouche Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 6:06am
post #2 of 39

Not sure about the best cake but the absolute best choc frosting is Toba's Godiva buttercream. It is a little expensive with the ganache, Godiva liquer, dutch cocoa, but is is soooooooooooooooooo worth it.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 6:07am
post #3 of 39

One Delicious Chocolate Cake (Kate Sullivan)

2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 ½ cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon baking soda
3 cups granulated sugar
5 eggs, room temp
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 ½ cups buttermilk, room temp
1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, melted
1 ½ cups strong coffee

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour sides and bottoms of pans. Set pans aside.

In large bowl of mixer, stir together the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and soda. Stir in the sugar.

In small bowl, combine the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix into the dry ingredients. Stir in the buttermilk, melted butter and coffee. Divide batter evenly among pans.

Bake at 350 for around 35 min. or until toothpick comes out clean. Transfer to wire cooling rack.

if you live at a low elevation use 1 tsp each baking powder and soda instead of 1 tb each (note by melysa)

whipped milk chocolate ganache

12 oz milk chocolate chips
2 cups heavy cream

Heat cream until nearly boiling. Pour over chocolate chips in a metal bowl. let sit 2 minutes. Whisk chocolate and cream until well combined; dark, smooth and glossy.

Let sit at room temp until cooled.chill for 4-6 hours or overnight. To thicken, whip with mixer for a few minutes. use as a filling and or frosting. (tastes like mousse). makes about 4 cups.

Refrigerate in airtight container for up to a week. To restore to spreading or glazing consistency, heat and stir over double boiler for a few minutes until softened.

melysa Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 6:10am
post #4 of 39

the cake recipe i just posted is wonderful. it is so flavorul, moist and light. i love, love , love it...this is my most frequent requested cake combination. enjoy.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

the cake recipe i just posted is wonderful. it is so flavorul, moist and light. i love, love , love it...this is my most frequent requested cake combination. enjoy.

I'm always up for a new recipe (and that one looks good!) Is it suitable for a stacked wedding cake?

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 39

the one on the back of the hershey's cocoa can is awesome and EASY, and I second Toba Garret's recipe. You can find it on epicurious.com

melysa Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franluvsfrosting

Quote:

I'm always up for a new recipe (and that one looks good!) Is it suitable for a stacked wedding cake?

it most definately is! carving or stacking. i normally bake and allow it to chill overnight in the fridge. though its taste and texture are light, the crumb structure will tighten up as it chills and is just perfect for stacking. it will also hold up well with fondant...

i recommend using swiss or italian meringue bc with fondant, its much firmer in my opinion and gives a smoother appearance on the fondants surface. let me know if you have any other questions about it. its unbelievably delicious!

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 39

I think the best filling for a chocolate cake would be White chocolate Butter Cream (Yuummmm)

I have the recipe at home- I'll post it as soon as I get outta work icon_wink.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 9:00pm
post #9 of 39

What dimension pans and how many will this recipe make?

Diane

Photomommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Photomommie Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 9:07pm
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

I think the best filling for a chocolate cake would be White chocolate Butter Cream (Yuummmm)

I have the recipe at home- I'll post it as soon as I get outta work icon_wink.gif

Please, PLease PLEASE share this recipe!!!!!!

Sound so yummy, I'm in the middle of searching my cabinets for some munchies, fruit snacks just aren't cutting it!!!!! Then I saw this, I need to make the filling right now and eat it off a spoon!

Hurry PLEASE!!!!!!

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 9:10pm
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photomommie

Quote:

Please, PLease PLEASE share this recipe!!!!!!

Sound so yummy, I'm in the middle of searching my cabinets for some munchies, fruit snacks just aren't cutting it!!!!! Then I saw this, I need to make the filling right now and eat it off a spoon!

Hurry PLEASE!!!!!!

LOL I will, I promise! =)

melysa Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 9:38pm
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

Diane

ack...sorry i am GUESSING here, that this makes 9? cups of batter. i do know its a large recipe. it says it can make two 10" round layers (assuming 2" height). i usually make 8" rounds and either two 6" rounds or 4" rounds with a few cupcakes. if you cut it in half, you can make two layers of 6" rounds, that rise to just under the top of a 2" high pan.

are you even more confused now? lol.... icon_lol.gif

cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 9:54pm
post #13 of 39

I use Duncan hines devils food and extender recipe with a very vesatile filling that i use in most of my cakes.

1 cup whipping cream
1/3 cup sugar

beat till thick, fold in one (4 serving) pudding mix of any flavor pudding. Verrrrry good with chocolate and white chocolate puddings. Refrigerate till set.

SOOOOO good it is a favorite of mine and everyone who eats it!!!!

lionladydi Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:23am
post #14 of 39
Quote:

Quote:

Diane

ack...sorry i am GUESSING here, that this makes 9? cups of batter. i do know its a large recipe. it says it can make two 10" round layers (assuming 2" height). i usually make 8" rounds and either two 6" rounds or 4" rounds with a few cupcakes. if you cut it in half, you can make two layers of 6" rounds, that rise to just under the top of a 2" high pan.

Clear as mud.......... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Just kidding. By saying about 9 C of batter, that gives me an idea of what it will do. Thanks

Diane

melysa Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 4:26am
post #15 of 39
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Diane

Clear as mud.......... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Just kidding. By saying about 9 C of batter, that gives me an idea of what it will do. Thanks

Diane

um...yeah icon_redface.gif ...lets just say LOL...that when you make one cake for someone else, you can count on making one for yourself TOO ~ icon_biggrin.gif thank God for excellent recipes!

amandasmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandasmummy Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 11:20am
post #16 of 39

Thanks heaps for your replys, melysa your cake sounds beautiful I think that i will give it a go

Franluvsfrosting Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 4:47pm
post #17 of 39

We have a Chili cookoff at church Sunday and the kids get to have a cake contest. Two of my four wanted chocolate cakes so we made this recipe (actually my 13 year old daughter made it last night). The recipe was about 9 cups and made five 6" cakes (three round and two hexagon because nobody wanted the same shape cake! icon_lol.gif )

I have to admit we were a little worried about the consistency of the batter as it was super runny. We forged ahead and baked them and they set up nicely. The color of the cake is beautiful! Super dark and fudgy looking. Like you said, as they cooled the crumb tightened up and they got quite firm. We haven't tasted them yet but that 5th round one is destined to be eaten today. (The little crumbs I've been picking at taste fabulous though! icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gificon_wink.gif )

My kids are just like their mother and have quite the combinations planned for them. Here are the future cc'ers plans:

Oldest: this chocolate cake (round) with ganache filling and white chocolate IMBC frosting

Next oldest: yellow cake (book pan; she's doing a bible cake) with milk chocolate filling and white choc. IMBC frosting

3rd: this choc. cake (hexagon) with caramel filling and milk chocolate frosting

4th: yellow cake (heart), lemon moistening syrup, blackberry jam filling (homemade) and vanilla buttercream frosting.

They haven't even begun to decorate them yet!

lionladydi Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 4:56pm
post #18 of 39

Look out Cake Central.............here they come! Sounds like you're raising a bakery crew for sure. Wish them luck in their cake contest on Sunday. Sounds like after church dinner is going to be wonderful!

Diane

Jennycakes8317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennycakes8317 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 5:00pm
post #19 of 39

This cake sounds wonderful. Does the coffee give it a coffee flavor? (I know a pretty silly question) I'm looking for a chocolate cake recipe for my nephews grooms cake. He wants a peanut butter filling. I don't know if it has a coffee flavor if the peanut butter filling would work.

melysa Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 5:55pm
post #20 of 39

amandasmummy, you are welcome. hope you enjoy it!

fran, wow, you're kids sounds persistant and excited! i look forward to hearing the results of the cake contest.

jennycakes, it really depends on the strength you put in. according to the recipe, no...it just gives it a good extra "something" that people notice but cant quite put their finger on it. but it doesnt taste like youre drinking a cup of joe.... now i imagine if you did a seriously intense syrupy thick espresso, perhaps the flavor would be more pronounced. but with peanut butter, you are just fine. it'll be delicious! you can give it a shot and if you still think the flavor is there and you dont want it to be, make the coffee regular strength instead of "strong" as the recipe calls for (i typically double the strength) or even just do water. but i really think it gives a good flavor without taking away from the purpose of the chocolate at all.

Photomommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Photomommie Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 5:58pm
post #21 of 39
Quote:

Where are you Babarooskie???? I'm still waiting here with an empty bowl, a spoon and my belly rumbling, feed me quick I must have that recipe, I'm fading fast..........................

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 8:08pm
post #22 of 39

lol photomommie! It does sound so good, I'm waiting too. I must say this all sounds delicious. I haven't fooled much with fillings but after reading what the kids are doing... I want to too.

franluvsfrosting, are you will to share any of your scrumptious sounding fillings? They sound mouth watering.

Can you tell I'm hungry icon_biggrin.gif Always hungry for cake!

Please post pictures of your little chef's cakes. Thell'll be the hit of the cook off for sure. thumbs_up.gif

Kat

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 12:23am
post #23 of 39
Quote:

i recommend using swiss or italian meringue bc with fondant, its much firmer in my opinion and gives a smoother appearance on the fondants surface. let me know if you have any other questions about it. its unbelievably delicious!

melysa,

do you refrigerate your fondant covered cakes with meringue butter creams under? I have a cake to do this week and I just made the most delicious french buttercream and I was thinking I needed to refrigerate the cake (I'll be decorating the night before the cake is to be eaten) I never know with these egg based icings if they need refrigeration.

melysa Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 2:46am
post #24 of 39

yes i do, but i use satin ice fondant . if i used mmf i suppose i woudnt refrigerate it if it was to be eaten within a day or so. the recipes i have in several books (all but one) say its ok to leave the icing out at cool room temp for up to 2 days. if its warm, keep it refrigerated. the best temp is not above 70F. anyway- i refrigerate it not so much because i am worried (i usually do a cake as close to when it will be served, so it usually will not be out more than 12 or so hours, but the main reason i do is just to keep it firmed up for transportation and stuff. by the time its ready to be eaten, it has had time to warm back up to room temp.

what kind of fondant do you use? and what is your fmbc recipe? refrigerating or not may also depend on the measurements and ratio of ingredients.

melysa Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 2:48am
post #25 of 39

alana, another thing you can do is use the carton of egg whites instead of fresh eggs because they are pasturized , and that may give you a little extra peace of mind. on the carton it will say, not recommended for meringue but, i've done it without problem.

Franluvsfrosting Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 5:54am
post #26 of 39

Okay, I tried the cake. I ate a piece that had bittersweet ganache filling and White Chocolate IMBC frosting. I have one word to describe this cake combo: DEADLY! Oh man was it good! Diets don't stand a chance around this stuff! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

My kids finished their cakes tonight and I posted all of them under my photos if you want to see them. They did a pretty good job! (Of course I'm the mom so what else would I think! icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif )

As for the recipes, the White Chocolate IMBC is the IMBC recipe from Dede Wilson's book qith 14 oz. White chocolate added to it. I think I remember seeing the recipe posted on CC so you may want to search for it. I love the IMBC's because they aren't grainy, overly sweet and can take on a lot of different flavors really easily. If you can't find that one let me know and I'll try (but it'll have to be later because I just took a pain pill and I'm starting to feel it. Sorry if my typing gets funky! icon_rolleyes.gif )

melysa Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 5:58am
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franluvsfrosting

Okay, I tried the cake. I ate a piece that had bittersweet ganache filling and White Chocolate IMBC frosting. I have one word to describe this cake combo: DEADLY! Oh man was it good! Diets don't stand a chance around this stuff! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

uh-huh. what did i tell ya? its delish icon_biggrin.gif now, i'm off to look at the kiddo's cakes. thumbs_up.gif

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 7:20am
post #28 of 39

franluvsfrosting, What a fantastic job they all did. You must be very proud. You won't need to hire anyone you have 4 great helpers!! I couldn't leave an emotion for Josh, or a comment for your three yr old. I will try tomorrow. The picture wouldn't load, and the emotions weren't working again.

Kat

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 8:10am
post #29 of 39

Melysa,

You talk about a "stick" of butter in your recipe.
How much is that in grams as we have 500g bricks of butter
or baking margarine here and I always put off baking a recipe
that asks for "sticks" as I don't know how much it is.
I would love to try this recipe of yours, it does sound yummy!!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 11:32am
post #30 of 39
Quote:

yes i do, but i use satin ice fondant . if i used mmf i suppose i woudnt refrigerate it if it was to be eaten within a day or so. the recipes i have in several books (all but one) say its ok to leave the icing out at cool room temp for up to 2 days. if its warm, keep it refrigerated. the best temp is not above 70F. anyway- i refrigerate it not so much because i am worried (i usually do a cake as close to when it will be served, so it usually will not be out more than 12 or so hours, but the main reason i do is just to keep it firmed up for transportation and stuff. by the time its ready to be eaten, it has had time to warm back up to room temp.

what kind of fondant do you use? and what is your fmbc recipe? refrigerating or not may also depend on the measurements and ratio of ingredients.

I use Michele Foster's fondant recipe. The french buttercream is actually made with egg yolks (wondering what to do with all those yolks after making WASC!!). the recipe says nothing about refrigeration. Here's the recipe:

2 cups sugar
1 cup water
16 large pasteurized egg yolks
4 cups (8 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%