So Here's How The Conversation Went...

Decorating By mrsright41401 Updated 7 Sep 2007 , 2:53pm by Ironbaker

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 4:02am
post #1 of 11

Conversation as myself, my husband and two children are walking out to the car, sort of in a hurry because DH has to be at work in 2 hours and needs to grab a 30 minute nap between the end of church and work as he's only had 3 hours sleep that night.

Church lady: Hey Rachel - we're having a potluck for (insert incredibly cute baby girl's name here)'s blessing on Sunday after church. Do you think you can make the dessert? Like maybe a cake?

Me: Sure.

Church lady: K, my whole family is flying in and the entire church is coming. THANKS!

Me a few minutes later...

Oh NO! What did I just agree to? I have 10 dollars to get me til the 15th - how am I going to make a cake to feed maybe 70? icon_cry.gif

I am so up for donating the cake except I HAVE A SEVERE SHORTAGE ON INGREDIENTS.

Now I feel completely obligated and I'm not sure what to do. This is also my first cake back on the proverbial horse since my disaster cake, so I need it to be successful or I'm not sure I'll do another cake.

So - any suggestions on how to handle this? I'm thinking cupcakes cuz they're so easy decorated with a RI flower on top of each, I can knock out a crap load of daisies by Sunday.

Rachel

10 replies
BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 4:21am
post #2 of 11

Call her back and say that something came up and unfortunately, you will be unable to make the cake.

Don't feel obligated... what's the worst that's going to happen if you can't do it?

idocsdr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idocsdr Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 4:36am
post #3 of 11

Call her and say that you will be glad to do her a beautiful cake that serves 35 people and if she will help with supplies you can do a cake that serves 70. Very few, if any people bring 70 servings of anything to a pot luck. Probably closer to 15-20 servings of a dish.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 4:37am
post #4 of 11

honesty is the best policy... just let her know that you initially thought it would be a small dessert when you said sure. now realizing that it is such a large dessert needed, you'll need to have them cover your expenses (if you are "donating" your cake- time really) because right now, plain and simple, you dont have the money to do it. perhaps they would even be willing to pay you for your time. its a big group of people to provide dessert for , for free. especially if your car needs gas and the kids need milk and bread. dont be shy or feel bad for asking.

valerieInga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerieInga Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 4:48am
post #5 of 11

I don't have any help with what to do but I have similar stories. Years ago at work we brought a cake in whenever our current resident went to their next posting (im a nurse). They used to get this bakery cake that is the shape/size of a loaf pan, dry vanilla cake, very sweet icing, stale cookie base and the sides were covered with chocolate jimmies. Around the topwas buttercream shell border. Then I said I could make the cakes, idiot that i am. When someone picked up the cake everyone chipped in to pay for it but when I baked and decorated , some very cute cakes, they didn't even all say thanks. When I decorated a large cake with many kinds of bc flowers on it for church, the minister was leaving. He thanked another lady who he knew better than me and that she also decorated cakes. Too much talking going on so I don't think he ever found out it wasn't her. I made a birthday cake for our department head Doctor's daughter, I brought it to the hospital and left it in our lounge for her to pick up. This socially inept plump resident walked in said CAKE and grabbed a knife. Thank God I was still there, grabbed his arm and said do you know a girl with the name xxxx? NO? It's Molly's daughters birthday cake and if you cut it you die!!!! He was able to control himself from eating his bosses daughters birthday cake.
Hope you enjoy my sad story.
Val

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 4:59am
post #6 of 11

God Bless Your Heart Hon!
I agree with Melysa 200%!!! Tell her the truth and you never know the cake angels may step in to help you out....but just tell her the truth, because honesty is the best policy.

God Bless you & yours,
Sharon

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 5:11am
post #7 of 11

I am the head of our Church's family life committee - which is in short the 'kitchen committee'. We host about 3 potluck dinners a year, 4 brunches and a few other events. I have been on this committee for over 15 years. Now when you are talking income our Church varies greatly -- but when it comes to food -- it doesn't matter. I have never ever heard anyone on my committee or at the meal say there wasn't enough, so&so only brought __________, trust me - we are just grateful to get all the help with the food we can! Heck -- we'll see someone walking by and we'll ask them aren't you coming to the dinner and they will say - No I forgot about it and didn't bring anything to eat -- and we say SO! There is plenty of food to eat please come and join us in fellowship! Yes there has been a few times when we (the kitchen committee eats last) have filled up on salad and rolls - but its the fellowship that is important.

What I'm saying is - noone would expect you to make an entire cake to feed everyone there!! If it is a potluck - there will be other people bringing desserts - simply because there are more people (like me) who just prefer to bring desserts over green bean casserole. And as a previous poster stated - noone else will bring anything that will feed 70 people either.

I suggest you do a simple 9 x 13 sheet cake or a 10 inch round layered cake and decorate it as cute as you can -- and remember it's the thought that counts! This may be the cake to help you get back on your decorating horse and get you going again. Once members of your Church see that you are decorating again they will be ready to place orders!! Do not apologize for making a normal size cake - you are just doing what is expected of every member of your Church.

Please post a picture of the cake when you finish it -- I love the baby shower cakes the best!

Best of luck

Suze

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 5:28am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzycakes

What I'm saying is - noone would expect you to make an entire cake to feed everyone there!! If it is a potluck - there will be other people bringing desserts - simply because there are more people (like me) who just prefer to bring desserts over green bean casserole. And as a previous poster stated - noone else will bring anything that will feed 70 people either.

excellent point.

i still think its ok to ask for the church to cover your cost, YOU DONT HAVE the extra to give, and at this point YOU could use a donation (not to sound demeaning...but i am sure you get the point.)

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 5:33am
post #9 of 11

I would call just to touch base with her. Did she want you to bring A dessert or THE dessert? And is it assumed that your dessert is free as in ONE OF THEM at the potluck, or that they will be reimbursing you for bringing the one and only that will feed the multitudes? There are tactful ways to ask so that neither of you are embarrassed. I quite often rehearse what I'm going to say before I get on the phone. If nothing else, just admit that you were preoccupied when the conversation came up, and you were taken off guard and just wanted to clarify so both of you know what to expect.

And please post a picture when you're done and let us know how it went! thumbs_up.gif

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 2:01pm
post #10 of 11

What about mini cupcakes?

Jen

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 2:53pm
post #11 of 11

I also think it's OK for you to make what you can - it is jsut a potluck. Don't feel obligated to feed every single guest there. We have a huige Thanksgiving potluck here at work every year and everyone's just asked to bring something that would feed about 15-20 even though there is about 100 of us.

I don't think it would hurt to clarify with her or to just let her know you will make a small cake/cupcakes but can't donate something big at this time. Since it's a potluck, I wouldn't suggest asking for a donation as I wouldn't expect anyone else to do the same for what they are bringing. You either can participate or you can't...it's OK to be honest.

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%