Need Help With Mary Jane Baby Shoes

Decorating By texasseegirl Updated 9 Sep 2007 , 7:37pm by grannys3angels

texasseegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasseegirl Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:14am
post #1 of 16

I made my first baby shoes tonight and I'm very excited so far with how they have turned out. But.......... I didn't do the greatest job connecting the bottom of the shoe to the top and was wondering if you fellow CC'ers had any suggestions on how to make it look better.

My only thought was to kind of "bury" it gently into the icing when I place it on top of the cake - but I am up for other suggestions.

I also want to give a big thank you to grannys3angles for the terrific (and easy) template and sweet_as_tisse for the polka dot inspiration. Attached are the photos so you can see what I'm referring to.

Thanks for any help!

I'm having issues uploading pics tonight so if the pics don't show up I'll keep trying! icon_confused.gif

15 replies
texasseegirl Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 4:03am
post #2 of 16

I think I finally got it - sorry for double posting front view pic

Thanks for any help you can give........
LL
LL
LL

texasseegirl Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 4:04am
post #3 of 16

I think I finally got it - sorry for double posting front view pic

Thanks for any help you can give........
LL
LL
LL

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 4:32am
post #4 of 16

Texasseegirl, I think they turn out GREAT and I really don't see anything wrong with them....IMHO, you did an outstanding job!!!

LOL, after I read your post, I ran and dug out the baby shoes and some fondant, to see if I could help you out.

Here is a thought that you could do, if you are still not happy with your shoes, but I really think they look just wonderful the way they are.

I took some fondant, rolled it out long ways, then I took and cut some thin strips, and then I wrap the strip around the bottom of the shoe. Start with the middle of the strip at the front of the shoes....having the 2 ends meet at the middle of the back of shoe....cut off any extra off the 2 ends.
I hope I am saying this to where you understand what I am trying to say.
Hope this helps.

Here is a picture to give you an EXP. of what I am trying to say....now I didn't do the whole shoe, just enought I hope, so you understand what I mean.....but I still think your shoes look GREAT!!! Thank You! for the comment on the template.
God Bless,
Sharon
EDITED: To say, I did not have to roll the fondant thick at all...you can also attach the strip, by dipping your finger tip in some water and rub it onto the strip. icon_smile.gif The strip don't look to bad around them, could be a new ideal in the making icon_lol.gif
LL

texasseegirl Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 4:48am
post #5 of 16

Sharon -

Thanks for the compliment and tip - I may just try that - I had a brief thought of doing something like you suggested but didn't know if it would make it too clunky but your example proves that it would look great.

I'm so glad I found your template because I have been admiring many cakes with baby shoes and never in a million years thought I could pull something like that off - I'm still pretty new to all of this stuff - most things I know I have learned from CC.

And my husband was very impressed too - so kudos to you for making it so easy! icon_biggrin.gif

Just for reference next time I make them, should the top portion of the shoe attach to the outside rim of the bottom cutout so that I don't have a seam? Did that make sense?

Thanks again for your words of encouragment and help - they are much appreciated.

grannys3angels Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 5:14am
post #6 of 16

Texasseegirl, you are ever so welcome.Yes thats how I did mine, top portion is attach to the outer rim of the bottom cut out.

icon_lol.gif I had never mess with fondant at all till I found CC....all the great people on here gave me the guts and the will to give it a go. I still no pro at making things with fondant....but I do have fun trying and that is something I would have never ever done if it was not for CC & it's members.

You would have laugh your booty off if you would have seen me after I read your post.....jumping up, digging out the baby shoes, running into the kitchen digging up my fondant mat & fondant, cutter, roller....and trying to be fast about so I could hurry up and give you a reply icon_lol.gif
I still think your shoes look GREAT!
God Bless,
Sharon

texasseegirl Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 5:29am
post #7 of 16

And I thank you for your quick reply and solution! I was crazily creating the shoes this afternoon when both of my girls were awake and ready to help - they are 4.5 and 2 years old. icon_surprised.gif

After I found your template I didn't want to wait until they were in bed and try it - noooooooooo - I had to do it right then! Why I try to make things difficult for myself I will never know.
icon_razz.gif

Thanks again for everything and I will post a pic after I finish the cake - it's actually not due until next week. I'm just so excited that I actually have shoes for my cake - I wasn't quite sure what I was going to top the cake with because my fav baby shower cakes all had shoes or booties and as I said before I never thought that I could remotely accomplish something like this yet. Now with your wonderful words and encouragement I get the topper I envisioned!

Michelle

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 8:08am
post #8 of 16

well i think your shoes are adorable and you did a fantastic job...

when i made these (thanks granny for the template) i had the bottom edge of the top come down and over the outside of the sole ( does that make sense) then i just use a little cheese knife to neaten up any untidy bits... i also find that adding the tylose powder to the fondant stiffens it up so that the shoe holds it shape even when you are attachting the top part with the strap.

well done though and thanks again grannys3angels for sharing this with us all..

cheers

kylie

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 16

I have no ideas on what to do because I haven't made any before, but these look great. I don't think you need to do anything to them, and you definitely don't need to bury them in icing!!!!!

grannys3angels Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:14pm
post #10 of 16

Thank You, Michelle & Kylie for your compliments on the shoe template. You both really did a wonderful job on your shoes.

See Michelle, there is 3 of us who think your shoes are beautiful just the way they are thumbs_up.gif .

Yes Kylie, you made sense and thanks for tip about the tylose....and let me say the name cake & wedding cake you did, are 2 very beautiful cakes....you did a outstanding job on the design and decorating on both those cakes thumbs_up.gif, they are just BEAUTIFUL!!! I love your bow & butterflies.

I have another idea that I have been wanting to try with these little shoes, but I haven't really had the time to try it out yet...I hope to get to make a template soon to go with these little shoes, lol I will use my shoes as the gunie pig icon_lol.gif
God Bless,
Sharon

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:26pm
post #11 of 16

wow i am totally impressed with these shoes...how cute are they......great job!!!!!!!

texasseegirl Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 4:51pm
post #12 of 16

thanks again everyone for your kind compliments!!

Kylie - I just realized that not only were your polka dot shoes my inspiration but I will also be using the look of your daughter's 2nd b-day cake for this cake as well. My friend loved the pink, yellow, white color scheme you used and since I will be incorporating daisies into the cake as well that's why I used that as the buckly on my shoe.

Can you give me any tips on how you do your bows? I absolutely love how they look so soft, billowy and flowing. I've only made 2 bows so far and my fondant (which I do put tylose into) is always stiff to work with, seems to crack or tear easily and it seems to harden too soon for me to get the look I want.

Sharon - I can't wait to see your next creation for the shoe - if you remember - PM me when you create it so I'm sure not to miss it. Do you have any other templates on the site you have done?

have a great weekend!

Michelle

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 10:11pm
post #13 of 16

Hey Michelle

the best advice i can give regarding the bows, is trial and error...

it normally take me anywhere up to 10 tries to get the look of the bow i want. i also use cake dummies to dry them on. sometimes up to a week before i need them. i usally make the bow part first then leave the tails until it needs to go onto the cake... the wider the strip the more full the bow with look. i pretty much followed CC member fran (thanks gorgeous franny) bow tutorial to start with, now i have worked out my own way and
style...

i also use a cooking spray on my bench, as this keeps the fondant soft enough to work with....

HTH....

cheers

kylie

grannys3angels Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:17am
post #14 of 16

Michelle,
When I get the next thing done for the shoes, I will PM you and let you know it is done icon_smile.gif . The only template I have done is the baby shoes....I would like to draw up some other things if I ever get the time and a new pair of glasses icon_smile.gif ....I was working on a cake this afternoon and I had a very hard time seeing....couldn't see far away or close up.....with age goes the eye sight and with age comes the shaking hands .
God Bless,
Sharon

P.S. Kylie, I love your baby shoes with the big bows on them, very beautiful baby shoes!

texasseegirl Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 5:50pm
post #15 of 16

Sharon - I hear you on the eyes...I have gotten glasses in the last year and still do not wear them everyday like I should....I'm trying to get better at it.

Kylie - I guess I'll just have to keep practicing on the bows - I was afraid you would say that! icon_rolleyes.gif Thanks for the spray tip while you are working on it. Maybe that will help keep my bows from breaking while I work with them.

Well the idea for my overall cake has changed - I have now created a dress template and worked on that for a while yesterday. The shoes were begging for it! icon_razz.gif

I'll attach a photo and see what you think. Keep in mind that I was doing a lot of different things with the dress before I took these final pics so the fondant itself and edges are not the best - I will make another dress when I make the cake later this week so that it will lay out properly over the cake. Also the pink collar, sleeves and hem will match the left sleeve which matches the polka dots.

The bottom will be a 10' square double layer and the shoes will sit atop a 6' inch round.

Let me know what you think...............
LL
LL

grannys3angels Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 7:37pm
post #16 of 16

Ohhhhh, that is so cuteeeeeee, I love the idea of the dress with the shoes, WTG with that idea....I love it!!!

God Bless,
Sharon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%