Featherweight Bag Blowouts

Decorating By birdgirl Updated 8 Nov 2006 , 4:42pm by badgerang

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 16

I bought a few Wilton featherweight bags and used them once or twice and the side would blow out. icon_mad.gif I usually use disposable bags but thought I would try the featherweights to save some money. The frosting was medium consistancy and they were not very full--about half. What is the deal? Anyone else have that problem? I am debating contacting Wilton....

They were 9 inch bags...

15 replies
lanesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanesmom Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 16

I had one blow out on the last cake I made but I had it for about 8 or 9 years so I wasn't surprised, it was a 12" bag. I haven't bought any Wilton bags recently so I don't know if the quality has gone down or not. I guess I'm not much help am I? icon_redface.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 16

I have many of them and have never experienced that. I didn't know that they even had 9" bags, I have 8", 10" and 12" ones. If they blew out - I would get ahold of Wilton - I am sure they would make it right.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 16

I use them all the time. Some I have had over 2 years and never had a problem. You must have gotton a bad batch - I would call Wilton I bet they replace them.

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 16

I didn't know wilton makes 9 inch bags.... definatly call them, and maybe try a larger bag? I don't bother using anything smaller than a 12" personally.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 16

ateco bags are good...i have no problems with them. i have always heard that wilton bags are not that good. i have had the ateco ones for quite some time with no problems.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:08am
post #7 of 16

Call Wilton, if they are new bags and they are defective they should replace them. Wilton has good customer service. icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:14am
post #8 of 16

Been there, done that, switched to Ateco and Kee-Seal.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

crafty01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crafty01 Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:19am
post #9 of 16

Did you get them from Walmart? I have noticed that the Wilton bags from there are different then the ones from like Michaels or Joann craft stores.
But havent had any blow out. I agree call Wilton Im sure they will replace them.

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:30am
post #10 of 16

Can you get these Ateco and Kee-seal locally usually or do you need to order them?

tincanbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tincanbaby Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 12:36pm
post #11 of 16

I have had the same problem with the Wilton bags. In fact, I just did a thread earlier on them. I bought mine at Walmart and Joann's. I thought I was filling or using them wrong.

funkychica1_2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funkychica1_2004 Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 12:47pm
post #12 of 16

I used to have this problem quite often. My problem was that I would use too thick of an icing consistency with too small of a tip. If you're really sick of paying lots for these bags, a friend of mine switched to using ziplock bags and cutting off the corners. I tried it but it didn't work well for me.

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 1:32pm
post #13 of 16

Sorry it should have been 8 inch size. I bought them at Wal-mart. We don't have much for shopping in the area and the only brand of cake decorating items around are Wilton. A lady used to carry Ateco, but switched to Wilton so I will look online for them. I have a 16 inch bag that has not blown yet, so I am crossing my fingers.

crafty01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crafty01 Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 2:09pm
post #14 of 16

It just seemed to me that the ones from Walmart are stiffer and if your icing is too thick you can blow them out but I use them from there but I do like the ones from Joanns better it seems they are easier to work with.

babyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyj Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 3:37pm
post #15 of 16

I've haven't had a blowout yet, "knock on wood" - but I do have 2 of wilton's featherweight bags that I use as well as the disposable ones (wilton's 12") which I usually reuse once, but once I got my "sample" bags from Kee-Seal, which I love! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif - I usually reuse them until the bag is not feeling "thick" anymore. I love those bags!

Susancakebabies - I think the website is www.keeseal.com ?

badgerang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badgerang Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 4:42pm
post #16 of 16

Some of my Wilton bags split too, after not much use. I like the Ateco bags, much sturdier! There's a little cake supply store in my neighborhood, that's where I get them. I'm sure you can order online too. Try ebay!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%