Making Bright Color Icing

Decorating By kmartinezgarcia Updated 10 Sep 2007 , 2:50pm by teamsterbabe

kmartinezgarcia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmartinezgarcia Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 10

I am interested in making bright red and bright blue for a Spiderman cake When I use my regular color the icing just turns bright pink or baby blue what else can I add to make red and blue, such as the once used in Spiderman.

Thanks

Karla

9 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 10

Welcome to CC Karla!

You definitely want to invest in Americolor products! Super red is amazing. Once you try Americolor you will never go back to wilton. They give you bold, true colors.

kmartinezgarcia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmartinezgarcia Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 10

If you do a search in the forums using "search all words" and type in Red Icing you'll find a few threads to help you get bright red. I haven't done this for blue but perhaps the technique is similar...

I helped a friend get red icing for cupcakes and they turned out as red as Elmo. Here's the short version of what she did: Added a small bit of cocoa to start the darkening process, and then used Americolor super-red gel. Started 2 days ahead. [She also used some Americolor red powder for backup insurance.]

If you poke through some previous threads you'll also find some suggestions to color the icing pink first; or yellow, then orange, then red ((I think this is "Duff's method"), something to take the white out and get you on your way to red.

Also be sure to make it several hours, or better yet a day ahead. The color it is today is not the color it will be tomorrow; it will deepen.

Some use colored kool-aid to get the icing tinted but be aware, your icing will have that flavor. I don't think I'd be into that but if it's a flavor you want, then why not?!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 2:20am
post #5 of 10

I can tell you from my experiences with Americolor I have found it works better to go straight to the color you are trying to achieve. It worked against me to go the pink-orange-then red type route. Other colors, like Wilton, I had to do that but with Americolor you can just dive right in and use the color you need. I think it also may depend on the bc you use so rather than use product unnecessarily, experiment with a small amount in the color you are trying to achieve first.

The above methods do work wonders for some and that's why I think part of it depends on your bc.

Also, Americolor has great customer service. I had a ? about how to achieve a certain color and they e-mailed me right back with the how-to!

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 10

I don't have any great advice, but just this week I tried the red kool-aid method and was a little disappointed. It tasted very, very cherry! Someone told me they use the unsweetened kool-aid, so I tried it. It was almost a sour cherry taste. I am expecting a call from the customer with a complaint any day now!

Thankfully, the entire cake didn't have the red icing on it.

I am interesting in trying the other suggestions from you guys....Thanks!

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 12:12am
post #7 of 10

Michaels actually has the Spiderman icing color pack all ready to go. It has 4 colors, the red, blue...and I'm not sure of the other 2........

bake-A-cake00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bake-A-cake00 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 12:27am
post #8 of 10

Use alot of wiltons no-taste red, also after you color your icing let it sit awhile the color will darken.

teamsterbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teamsterbabe Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:48pm
post #9 of 10

I used the Wiltons No Taste Red in a Cake I did so I could get a red color it came out pink after I used the whole jar. I let it sit and after a week it turn dark pink never got red.
Just wanted you to know.

Good luck!
Ronni

teamsterbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teamsterbabe Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:50pm
post #10 of 10

IN A CAKE????? What a dope!!
In the frosting for a cake...Sorry about that
I will get a cup of coffee now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%