Achieve Muted Icing Colors And Make Non Traditional Roses?

Decorating By cookiejar Updated 2 Feb 2005 , 6:32pm by kate

cookiejar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiejar Posted 1 Feb 2005 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 3

Ive recently come across a bakery in NH that has the most beautiful cakes I think Ive ever seen. Their icing colors appear to be more muted than the ones Im using, could it be their frosting? or icing colors? Also their roses are not the traditional method roses, would anyone have instructions on making these? The website of the bakery is www.jacquespastries.com

thanks in advance!

2 replies
GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 1 Feb 2005 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 3

I've always enjoyed looking at his site.

I don't know how he makes them either.

As for the color, fondant tends to be more matted. At least that has been my experience.

kate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate Posted 2 Feb 2005 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 3

If you mix colors you can get more muted colors. For a muted or mossy green add a little brown to your green. For a mauvy pink add a little red. There are so many combinations that work it's a trial and error kinda thing for me. I don't make my roses the way wilton does. Mine have evolved over time. The same is probably true of the roses on the site you mentioned. Don't be afraid to change angles of your tip when making roses and placing petals a little differently. I like to experiment and see what I can come up with that more closely resembles a real rose. I think each persons rose is a little different. I could always tell who made what cake in the bakery where I worked by their roses. Kinda cool!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%