Can I Put A Buttercream Transfer On Fondant?

Decorating By babyblue113 Updated 7 Sep 2007 , 12:26pm by moralna

babyblue113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyblue113 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 10

I need to transfer a picture of Harry Potter onto a fondant covered cake....can I use a buttercream transfer? If not, what are my other options....I do not have edible frosting sheets or a pritner with edible ink. Any thoughts or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated as I need to have this cake done for tomorrow.

THANK YOU!!

9 replies
mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 10

I have not done this, but I sure would give it a try. I don't think there would be any reason why you couldn't. Edible markers are another option, as are "painting" with food color or piping on with RI. Good luck-please let us know how it works out.

Edited to say: You can also make a colorflow or chocolate transfer.

DCHall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DCHall Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 10

You could always ask a local bakery if they can make you an edible image. I asked at a local grocery store bakery and they printed a sheet for me for $5.

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 10

Another option would be to buy rice paper and trace your image with edible ink markers.

cakenovice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenovice Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 10

Where do you buy rice paper? Can you get it at the craft stores or do you get it online?

moralna Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 10

You can get it at a cake baking/decorating supply store. I know that Candy Land Crafts is by me, so I get mine there; they also have a website -- www.candylandcrafts.com - and I believe you can order it. Or maybe even a bakery will sell it to you.

babyblue113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyblue113 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 8:06pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for the tips! I forgot about edible markers........how does rice paper work exactly....after I draw the picture on to the rice paper, would I just place the paper on top of the cake?

Not sure what a colorflow or chocolate transfer is.

Thanks again.

kelleyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleyb Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 11:42pm
post #8 of 10

of course you can do buttercream on top of fondant. They do it all the time on Ace of Cakes!

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 11:46pm
post #9 of 10

I have traced the picture onto parchmant paper, then set the paper on the cake and trace with a sewing wheel. This will leave little dots that you should be able to follow.

You can also do chocolate transfers which I love, but it won't be done by tomorrow.

moralna Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 12:26pm
post #10 of 10

Once you trace your image on the rice paper, you cut it out, brush the back with a little piping gel - not too much and make sure you get the edges and then just place it on the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%