Okay Cc Cake Fairies....blow Some Fairy Dust My Way (Long)

Decorating By RRGibson Updated 9 Sep 2007 , 11:11pm by RRGibson

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:14am
post #1 of 21

Okay guys!! The big weekend has almost arrived...the make or break moment...drum roll please.......MY FIRST WEDDING CAKE!!

First wedding cake due this Sunday. Thank God it's Sunday and not Saturday because my son has his first little league game Saturday icon_wink.gif . The design is pretty simple, just buttercream, ribbon around the bottom and a strand of pearls. At the last minute, she has decided that she wants a little line work on the sides as well. And there's also a fresh flower arrangement which I'll be doing also. I say "just" as if I'm a pro but really, I'm getting a little nervous icon_cry.gif. I'm afraid that my buttercream won't be smooth and just imagining that it will fall down somehow anything could go wrong.

I was going to bake my cakes on Friday but after reading so much about how freezing helps the cake keep it's moisture (and also since my son didn't have practice tonight) I baked (am still baking) all of my layers today. I will torte and freeze them once they're all cool. Then on Friday I plan to make all of my fillings, fill and crumb coat. Then Saturday after the game I will decorate. I also have a small bday cake to do for Sunday as well.

So, now that I've told you the whole (long) story and plan, please blow some fairy dust my way icon_lol.gif. Think of me while I'm working on the first cake. I hope it turns out okay. If I don't forget, I'll post pictures of my progress.

Thanks!

20 replies
angief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angief Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:21am
post #2 of 21

Here's some happy cake thoughts coming your way.....

You can do it!! Make sure you post pictures and have fun! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

Angie

samcfi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samcfi Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:21am
post #3 of 21

Good luck to you. The thought of doing a wedding cake makes me a nervous reck!!!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:22am
post #4 of 21

I hope you don't mind if I don't blow some fairy dust your way...I have garlic breath!

You can do this and you will be fine. Whatever you can get done ahead of time will be a bonus so you can concentrate on decorating. You've got a great plan!

One little tip...be sure to have extra ingredients on hand just in case. I didn't want to jinx you but save you a trip to the grocery store at a really inconvenient time.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:29am
post #5 of 21

Your fairy dust is all the help and support here on CC. You will do just fine. Can't wait to see pictures.

angelwaggoner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelwaggoner Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:30am
post #6 of 21

Happy CC Fairy dust to you icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

I still haven't done a wedding cake. I'm too afraid of them!!! SO...
may the force be with you! And have fun!

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:38am
post #7 of 21

<poof> blowing fairy dust-you'll be fine!!

RRGibson Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:41am
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastryjen

I hope you don't mind if I don't blow some fairy dust your way...I have garlic breath!

You can do this and you will be fine. Whatever you can get done ahead of time will be a bonus so you can concentrate on decorating. You've got a great plan!

One little tip...be sure to have extra ingredients on hand just in case. I didn't want to jinx you but save you a trip to the grocery store at a really inconvenient time.

Thanks everybody!! Luckily, I guess, I really overestimated the amount of ingredients that I would need. So I actually have way too much stuff. But that's okay, that means I won't have so much to buy for the next cake icon_biggrin.gif I have so much butter, I could cause coronary heart attacks of every inhabitant of a small island! BTW, I followed IndyDebi's advice on how to bake my layers and it went really great! I started at about 7PM and I'm almost done! I know I know, that's probably no feat for you pros, but it was good for me!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:43am
post #9 of 21

Blowing *Cake Fairy Dust* your way...Good Luck!

You will do a wonderful job! I made my first wedding cake in April, and it turned out well, so if I can do it, you can!

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 3:02am
post #10 of 21

You have a good plan, I agree. You will do fine. Just remember when you to set up the cake, take supplies with you....just in case. I always make extra flowers and take bags of icing with the same exact tips in them that I used originally. I've only had to fix things a couple of times but you never know. I can't wait to see the pics!!!

RRGibson Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 3:08am
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjstor

You have a good plan, I agree. You will do fine. Just remember when you to set up the cake, take supplies with you....just in case. I always make extra flowers and take bags of icing with the same exact tips in them that I used originally. I've only had to fix things a couple of times but you never know. I can't wait to see the pics!!!

Good tip! I need to get a little goodie bag together on Sunday before I go. I also need to find something to put my filled piping bag in also. I guess I need one of those little coolers or something. It's SMBC so I don't want it to melt in transit!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 4:30am
post #12 of 21

Here's some dust blowing your way icon_biggrin.gif .

Now you know that we Virginians always rise to the ocassion icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

Seriously, you will do fine. Just remember to take a deep breath and let it out slowly...help ease the tension before you start to set up your cake.

Here is one suggestion; pack your bag the night before (except for your icing). I find that it allows me to remember things that I might otherwise forget the day of the event. Oh, by the way, don't forget to put a note on the bag reminding you to get the icing from the refridgerator icon_biggrin.gif

Congratulations...don't forget the pictures thumbs_up.gif

RRGibson Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 4:49am
post #13 of 21

Thanks you guys. As you can tell I needed a bit of ego stroking and motivation. I'm done for the night! Will let you guys know how it's going. Hopefully will have pictures Saturday or Sunday night!

RRGibson Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 2:55am
post #14 of 21

Bad news guys. I think I'm going to have to rebake a layer! That sucks! I went to torte the last layers that I cooked last night and one was not done in the middle, yuck. I'm glad I did it earlier than I had originally planned.

RRGibson Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 2:56am
post #15 of 21

Bad news guys. I think I'm going to have to rebake a layer! That sucks! I went to torte the last layers that I cooked last night and one was not done in the middle, yuck. I'm glad I did it earlier than I had originally planned.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:09am
post #16 of 21

here's a little luster dust going your way!

Good Luck with the rebake! Been there done that glad you found out early!

RRGibson Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:12am
post #17 of 21

Thanks Gateaux!! I'm going to do it tomorrow. I guess it won't be so bad to rebake those layers and fill and crumb coat the others. Not too bad. But I hope everything else goes on schedule!

RRGibson Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 4:12am
post #18 of 21

Sooooooo, the schedule seems to be completely out of the window. Why? Refrigerator space!! Argggghhhh! But I still didn't sit on my butt. I made fillings for the wedding cake--apricot cream mousse and coffee mouse and also for the birthday cake-pineapple curd. I think I might also do the fbct for the birthday cake tonight as well. So all I'll have to do tomorrow is fill and decorate. I think I'm still going pretty good. The bday cake is due at 12P and the wedding cake at 4:30P. But I'm for sure going to completely finish the wedding cake tomorrow night. Well, that's the latest! Keep me in your thoughts! It seems pretty quiet tonight, I think everybody's working on wedding cakes!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 4:20am
post #19 of 21

Sounds like you have a plan. I'm sure everything will work out well. Wishing you all the best and needless to say, I'm sure, don't forget to post some photos.

RRGibson Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 2:40pm
post #20 of 21

I'm all done. Not so happy with the outcome. A plain white wedding cake apparently is the hardest thing in the world to do!! Or at least for me anyway. Will post pictures later if I don't chicken out.

RRGibson Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 11:11pm
post #21 of 21

Finally delivered and done. That is very stressful. I already have another cake booked for October but after that I don't if I'll do this again. I was sooooo nervous when I got there to deliver the cake, I was shaking. And the people standing around didn't help much. But oh well, it's done. Not perfect but a good try I guess. Thanks for all the good wishes!! Can't wait to see pics of all the cakes I'm sure got done this weekend!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%