Dream Whip Frosting Question

Decorating By vmw774180 Updated 27 Jul 2005 , 12:50pm by Sugar

vmw774180 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmw774180 Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 17

How well do the dream whip frostings hold up in the heat and humidity. Also, how well to they pipe?

I normally use Damns BC, but since the humidty is so high right now I have had an awful time the last few trys with it becoming gritty.

Thank you.

16 replies
vmw774180 Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 17

Just bumping in hopes of getting and answer.

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 17

i liove in east texas where it si almost always humid. i used this for my sons spiderman cake in april. it held up great. i piped a border and it was ok i think you could probably make it thicker and it owuld pipe great.

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 17

I love the dream whip icing. I live in Louisiana, so the humidity and heat are a big factor for me. I can't use the recipes with butter in them... they are literally runny before I even get them on the cake, and I even omit the liquid, except the flavorings!

The dream whip holds up excellently (is that a word, lol?) for me, it pipes and smoothes well, and it tastes good too. The only thing is that the recipe doesn't turn out as thick as the wilton one that I learned to decorate with, so I have a bit of trouble with my roses. I need to add more sugar when I'm making roses.

I can post my recipe if you like, I wasn't sure if you were looking for a recipe or if you already have one and just havent' tried it yet.

jpdesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpdesserts Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 17

Melissa, I would like you to post the recipe. I live in louisiana and have problems with icing. Thanks in advance! jen

Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 17

Mellissa, I'd love it if you could post your recipe.

Thanks !!! princess.gif

mvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvigil Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 17

I would also like to view this recipe . Thanks

melissablack Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 7:45pm
post #8 of 17

I'd be happy too! I believe I got it from this site. I don't see it in the recipe section, so someone must have just posted it in the forum.

Dream Whip Icing

2lbs or 1 kg bag of confectioners sugar
1 pkg dream whip
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups crisco shortening
2 tsp clear vanilla flavouring
1 Tbsp clear corn syrup

Whip up till fluffy. No need for refrigeration but it is fine in the fridge as well. Tastes great, not so sweet and crusts well.

melissablack Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 7:47pm
post #9 of 17

Oh yeah, a side note..... some people have had problems with dream whip icing being gritty, so you should be sure to add the dream whip powder at the same time as the hot water, and the salt also, to make sure both dissolve well. I always did this, and have never had a problem.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 9:46pm
post #10 of 17

I'll give this one a try sometime too..
Thanks for posting it for us..
cakegal

mvigil Posted 22 Jul 2005 , 11:33pm
post #11 of 17

Thanks for recipe cant wait to try it . Have a great weekend everybody!!

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 3:25pm
post #12 of 17

What is dream whip and where do you find it?

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 3:53pm
post #13 of 17

Abbey, it is a whipped topping mix, it is dry, comes in envelopes in a box. You should be able to find it in your regular grocery store, in the aisle where the pudding mixes and baking items are sold. Some stores keep it near the fresh fruit aisles.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

MoonicaLeigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MoonicaLeigh Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 2:23pm
post #14 of 17

I am going to try out your dream whip frosting because I make ALL of my cakes using Dream Whips with my mixes! That works wonderful as well! They come out very moist, but also very durable for stacking!
Thanks for the rec.!

vmw774180 Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 2:35pm
post #15 of 17

Thanks guys for all the help!! I used Melissa recipe from a previous post on my daughters cakes this past weekend (posted in my photos). It was great. Easy to work with, crusted nicely, and held up like a charm in the heat and humidty. The flavor was good, I used vanilla and butter flavoring. I still like the taste of Dawns bc, but will probably be using this for most of my decorating!!

Thanks again!!!

Vicki

mvigil Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 4:13pm
post #16 of 17

Hi Vicki

I'm not sure what cake you ment for this passed weekend??

Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 12:50pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmw774180

Thanks guys for all the help!! I used Melissa recipe from a previous post on my daughters cakes this past weekend (posted in my photos). It was great. Easy to work with, crusted nicely, and held up like a charm in the heat and humidty. The flavor was good, I used vanilla and butter flavoring. I still like the taste of Dawns bc, but will probably be using this for most of my decorating!!

Thanks again!!!

Vicki

That's wonderful Vicki. Thanks for the report. I'm going to try it this weekend or next.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%