Wrapping Mini Cakes In Rice Paper

Decorating By spanky62798 Updated 10 Sep 2007 , 1:50am by KHalstead

spanky62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spanky62798 Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 11:49pm
post #1 of 8

Help to all you experts out there....

I have a catering company that I work closely with and he loves to challenge me (see the almost 3 foot tall wine bottle in my pics - he's the culprit). Anyways, we are doing a baby shower this weekend that I'm doing mini cakes for. I've done this design in the past, but used real vellum scrapbooking paper to wrap them in. It's really cute - well here's the challenge - he wants the entire thing to be edible so he wants to wrap them in rice paper!!! I feel 'ok' about it, but what would you guys recommend to use to adhere them to the iced cake and not have issues with drying or cracking? The cakes will be rounds - just to add more complications!

HELP HELP HELP!!! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 8

wow, I can't even imagine !!!! do you have a photo of the ones you wrapped in velum so I can get a better idea??? How on earth would you wrap a round piece of cake in rice paper? I haven't worked with rice paper so I don't know how flexible it is.....but I thought it was kind of stiff??

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 8

It's surprising that he wants you to use rice paper. Have you ever tasted it? Bleck!! icon_razz.gif It's also very stiff and will more than likely crack or break. If you try to soften it, then it will shrivel, melt and be really gross.

Rice paper has a lot of good uses, but I don't think wrapping cakes is one of them.

Michele

evaruggiero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evaruggiero Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 8

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_51906.html

Have you seen this cake, is all wrapped in rice paper. May be you could PM her for instruccions?
Hope this helps

spanky62798 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 1:25am
post #5 of 8

Here's pictures of the finished product. It actually went pretty well. I used corn syrup to 'seal' them. The cakes were covered in poured fondant and then the grass is just buttercream icing. Then the leaves are chocolate fondant. I think they turned out pretty good - I'm pleased with them.

spanky62798 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 1:26am
post #6 of 8

well, guess I can't figure out the attachment thing! Look in my photos - they're there

KHalstead Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 1:49am
post #7 of 8

oh those are soo cool looking......okay I was thinking you wanted to use the rice paper to wrap them up, like a little present.........I didn't realize you meant you were just wrapping it around the sides of the cakes...........those are just incredible!!!! Who would have though camo could look THIS cool!!!???? Awesome job!!! I had no doubt you were up for the job after seeing that wine bottle cake.......crazy!!

KHalstead Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 1:50am
post #8 of 8

if I had understood before I probably would have suggested chocolate to wrap the cakes.......but that would have caused you a TON of work with all the camo!!! well I guess if you could have gotten ahold of some choc. transfer sheets with camo onthem.......but it seems you were ready to go ahead and make them.......awesome job by the way!!! You'll blow them all away!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%