Where Did You Meet Your Mate?

Lounge By mvigil Updated 27 Nov 2006 , 10:04am by maryak

mvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvigil Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 12:34am
post #1 of 50

I met mine @ my first summer job I was 17!
We have been together 14 years & married for 2!!!

Next-

49 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 12:38am
post #2 of 50

I me my dh in the first few weeks of our freshman year of college...went right to my room and told my roommate that I had just met the man I was going to marry, and of course, she laughed at me. There was jjust something about him in those 10 minutes that I tlked to him in the lobby, and I KNEW he was the one for me! Three years later, we got married. We've been married for a little over 8 years and have two wonderful little boys who are 6 and 4!

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 3:06am
post #3 of 50

We met in college when I was a sophomore & he was a junior. We've been together for 14 years also & married for 9. Our kids are 7 & 4 icon_smile.gif

-Lisa

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 3:20am
post #4 of 50

DH is a courier for fedex, I was between jobs and working temp. We met on his route, he delivered to my office. He used to walk in and say, "hey! where ya been?" and I would say "right here". He later told me he meant where have you been all my life.

Jenn1977, we've also been married a little over 8 years (7/18/9icon_cool.gif and have 2 boys ages 6 and 4.

mvigil Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 3:35am
post #5 of 50

I also have 2 boys !!!

Edibleart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edibleart Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 3:42am
post #6 of 50

I met my DH through my brother, they went to college together. We dated a couple times then broke it off then got back together a couple years later, engaged 9 months later and married a year after that. We have been married for 10 years and we have two boys also - ages 5 and 2!

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 3:57am
post #7 of 50

I was a freshman in college and one Friday afternoon I went to a college bar with a friend (girl) and sat next to this guy that was singing in French, Christmas songs. What was funny was it was July and he had his arm around a girl that was his date and he put his other arm around me. The other girl and I had the same name. He was slightly drunk and sounded like Maurice Chevalier when he sang. I told my friend that he was so funny drunk that I had to meet him sober. We have been married for 30 years and he never drinks, but he is still funny. We always laugh about meeting at the Red Dog Saloon. He doesn't remember much about that night so I am the one who gets to retell the story instead of him. He is the story teller in the family and I get to listen over and over. LOL

morg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morg Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 4:35am
post #8 of 50

When DH's roomie trashed their landlord's boat he evicted them both even though DH had nothing to do with it. We were neighbors, so I let him stay in my spare bedroom. The rest just came natural, lol.

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 10:41am
post #9 of 50

I actually dreamed of mine since I was 2! Kept tellin gramma... He and I met after 25 YEARS of dreams and near misses (as in he was where I was supposed to be, but I was sick that day, etc). I honestly started to think it he was only a dream, like an imaginary friend, until we finally met on Match.com which we were both on 3-day trials of. We both had the profiles filled for what we were looking for - and I still tease him that he was an inch off on height (I'm 5'4" and he put 5'5") but I was right on the mark.

He drove 140 miles to my house plus another two to where I was to meet friends for the weekend. We were engaged a month later.

Gramma was thrilled when I told her I found him finally! We've been together a year tomorrow, and will be married this summer.

He kept a picture he drew from his dreams about 5 years ago, and showed it to me when he found it last month. Betcha can't guess who it was of icon_smile.gif

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 11:19am
post #10 of 50

My husband and I met when I was 11 and he was 18. I was in seventh grade at our private school and he was a senior. My mother and his became friends when we moved to Texas from Pennsylvania. Needless to say, neither one of us were thinking of the other! We remet when I was a senior in high school. We started dating the October (18th to be exact) after I graduated in 1985. In April (18th to be exact) of 1986 he asked me to marry him and we got married on July 26, 1986. We have 4 kids - 2 boys and 2 girls.

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 2:29pm
post #11 of 50

I met my husband on the predecessor to the world wide web. We were both in university and we met on a Atheism bulletin board (imagine a board like this in the stone ages! LOL) We became friends and met 6 weeks later. Ten months after meeting in real life we got married.

So, we met in cyber space in Nov. 1992, met in real life in Jan of 1993, married in Oct. of 1993. We've been married for 13 years now and have a 10 year old and an 18 month old.

We weren't looking for love either as he was dating someone else and I was starting to date someone too, but we just clicked. We think our relationship grew so fast because we HAD to get to know each other without so much of the physical distractions/lust. We saw each other about ever two weeks for the weekend and during the summer we spent 2 months together.

Now, I look back on that and say we were crazy! LOL But, I guess we weren't because we're still here and together! LOL

Melissa

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 3:21pm
post #12 of 50

I met my DH in high school art class. I was a soph. and he was a senior. We were both dating other people at the time and after months of drooling looking at Jon I broke it off with my boyfriend at the time because I didn't think it was fair to him (and he was treating me like crap before then) 2 weeks later Jon finally broke up with his psycho girlfriend and asked me out after a basketball game. I was a cheerleader at the time and he was in the stands and I din't realize that the other students in the stands were yelling out "why don't you just ask her to marry you already Jon, she's all you ever talk about" I couldn't hear this because of how loud it was inside of the building. After the game he asked me out and of course I said YES! Funny thing is the day I saw him I told my friend I was going to marry him, that same day he told his friend the same thing! We've been togethr for almost 13 years and married for 9 1/2 years. We have 2 girls and 2 boys. ---Melissa

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 3:38pm
post #13 of 50

I met my husband at church.....My parents had moved to PA from FL while I was in school (college) in France. I came back in April with the full intention of moving back to Europe (Switzerland) during the summer. My husband was on spring break from his college in MO and we met and hit it off right away. We kept in touch until he came back in June and then went on our first 'date'. 4 months later, we were engaged, and 20 months after that we were married. We've been married for 12 1/2 years & have 3 kids, 2 boys and a girl! Needless to say, I never moved to Switzerland! I found something 100x better! thumbs_up.gif

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 3:52pm
post #14 of 50

I met mine through a friend. We were married after I knew him 6 months. That was 22 years ago.
Judy

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 5:14pm
post #15 of 50

My hubby and I met when I first moved out to delafield when I was in high school, but he was engaged to someone else at the time so we just talked about once or twice and that was about it. Then a few years later his mother found out how old I really was (she thought I was underage but I was 19) and she decided to hook us up. She got some people together to out to fish fry and made sure to include myself and my mom and also my hubby. We've been together ever since. Dated 2 months and then got married, we've been together since July 1999. On our one year anniversary he wrote me a poem about wedding. It's called "A Year Ago Today...." it's really sweet. I even submitted it to a poetry contest and he got an honorable mention on it and it was printed in a book of poems and also was choosen to be read to music. I'm so proud of him!
It's hasn't been an easy marriage, but we both realize the things we have had to work on and we have made our marriage work. Trust me I am sure there were some people that thought we wouldn't last as long as we have, and we've proven every one of them wrong. thumbs_up.gif

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 5:16pm
post #16 of 50

I met mine at my home town bar. I came home for the weekend (lived 3 hours away), and went downtown to visit. He was there with 2 other friends. Had never seen him before, but I knew his friends. Asked me to go to a friends house after the bar for a little while, I did, and then gave him my numbers (cell, home, pager). Well, didn't hear from him for quite a while. Got some wierd number on my pager a couple times, but couldn't figure out who it was. Finally he left a message, and I couldn't make out his number, well, after about a month or so, we finally got in touch. Moved in together 3 months later, got married 5 months after that, bought a house 3 months after that, and had a baby 3 months after that. (All of that within 1 year! icon_eek.gif ) .....talk about stress on a new relationship!! Anyway, been married almost 6 years now, and have two wonderful boys (5 and 2 1/2).

Ezmerelda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ezmerelda Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 5:59pm
post #17 of 50

I met mine at sixth form college when we were 16, and we're now both 23 (he's only 12 days older icon_smile.gif). We've lived together for 5 years this year. We're about to get a cat too!

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 6:58pm
post #18 of 50

Ok, here's a really "romantic" story. I first met my dh in a hotel room!!!

I was a server for a nice restaurant and a manager that I had worked for years ago approached me while I was serving and told me that if I wanted a job with her, I could have one. Sure....what's the job??? AN AUTO PARTS STORE!!!! AAGGHHH!!!

I don't know why, but I agreed to go to the hotel room (that they were accepting applications/and doing interviews in). She told me to just fill out the paper work and the job was mine.

When I walked in there was a man already going through an interview, we exchanged a few looks and one thing led to another, later, not in the hotel room, lol! We've been togetther for 7 1/2 years, married for 3 1/2 yrs, and have 2 young boys. We still talk about when we first saw each other..it's one of our favorite stories to talk about.

I love hearing everyone's stories.

mvigil Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 3:11pm
post #19 of 50

WOW I barely got a chance to sit down to read this wonderful stories !!!

I got a weekend job at Mevryns and boy did I get my but kicked!!!!

My hubby would smile at me for like a month and I would ask people why is he so happy and they would tell me becouse he likes you!!!!!!

Its neet to read alot of us just have boys!

georgies_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgies_girl Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 5:03pm
post #20 of 50

My DH and I met when I was 1...yes ONE year old and he was 7. His family lived across the street from my grandparents and one day while my parents and I were visiting, I was playing in the yard and he was walking by with some friends. I wanted to walk too...so when I got to the edge of the yard, he took me by the hand and brought me back to my mom, (who was sitting on the porch). That was pretty much the end of our relationship -- for a while...lol. And at that time, my hubby was taking guitar lessons from my grandfather, for 50 cents a week. My grandfather had a radio show where he played guitar and my great-uncle played piano. (back in the 30's and 40's).

So, leap ahead about 19 years and I went to work for my BIL and sis's business, where my hubby was also working. He was married and so was I, but we became friends. I moved on to another job and we lost contact again. We would run into each other occasionally, at the drugstore, the gas station...etc. Then I got divorced...and so did he. And then one day, I saw him driving down Main Street....and waved at him. He turned into the parking lot at the next business, and I followed. We talked for a few minutes and he told me that he was playing with his band that night at a little place near the beach and I told him I would try to show up.

Well, I did show up .... and now, 20 years and 3 kids later we're still going strong, and he and I both have great stories of my grandparents to share with our kids!!

MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 9:59pm
post #21 of 50

I met my DH for the first time when I was around 17 yrs and he was 21 and dating my cousin. icon_cool.gif They broke up and we went out a few times and then each went our own way. After 19 years, marriage and divorce for both of us and a long conversation on the telephone, we finally met again and have been together ever since - 7 years, 1 year and 7 months married (we married on April Fool's Day 2005). icon_lol.gif

He is truly my soul mate!!!!!!!!!!!

mitsel8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mitsel8 Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 4:28am
post #22 of 50

I met my husband back in 1991. I was a flight attendant and he was a pilot for Pan Am and we were flying from New York to New Orleans. We've been married for 13 years and have two great daughters: Allegra, 8 and Eliza, 4.

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 4:35pm
post #23 of 50

I met my almost DH in highschool, I was a sophomore and he was a junio (15 and 16), he was in the orchestra and so were my friends and they set us up. We've been dating 7 years and are finally getting married next August!

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 5:16pm
post #24 of 50

I met my husband online back in 1997 .. a chat program called powwow, no longer exists, but we chatted online for three years before I went to new york in 2000 to be there for his college graduation and to meet him in person .. he moved to another state farther away for a job, we traveled back and forth for a year, he moved out to michigan where I live in 2001, we got engaged and in 2003 we were married! no kids, but we do have three very spoiled cats! most people in my family thought I was crazy for meeting someone online, but when something is so right you just have to go with it, no matter how many doubts you get along the way from other people...

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 9:25pm
post #25 of 50

Many years ago, back in the dark ages of the 50's, I was (16) a senior in high school, working part-time at Christmas in a smallish department store. One of the ladies I worked with kept telling me about this great guy she knew who was a student at Texas A&M, and she wanted us to meet. A couple of days later, his mother came in the store, so I met her before I met the Aggie. During the Christmas break from school, he called me and we went out!
When he went back to school we started writing each other, and when he was in town we dated, this went on for two and half years before we were married in 1955.

Unfortunately, after 28 years we were divorced, and I've never found anyone else that I'd even considered marrying, so maybe he was my "one and only." Oh, he has been married to someone else now for 22 years. Janice

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 3:13am
post #26 of 50

I was running the accounting office for a grocery store while I was in graduate school (and let me tell you that Master's in Mathematics comes in handy in the cake business!) and he was setting up a display of new razors for his advertising company! He gave me a free pack of a razors and there you go!

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 2:31am
post #27 of 50

I LOVE this thread! Here's my story . . .

I met my hubby when we were both in high school. It was our sophomore year (1989). We didn't go to the same school (mine was all-girls, his was all-boys) but we met at a movie theater. We dated through high school and college (he went to California for college and I went to University of Missouri . . . we wrote many, many letters and had outrageous phone bills but managed to stay together). He proposed to me during December of our senior year of college and we were married the following December. We've been married for almost 11 years now and have two adorable little guys, ages 3 1/2 and 2.

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 5:26am
post #28 of 50

My family use to travel to my dh's grandparents to stay for their church campmeetings. Mom always said I'd marry into that family but she just picked the wrong guy. So basically we knew of each other our whole lives. We started dating when I was 16. Dated for 3 years got married. 6 yrs now and 2 kids later we're still together. 4 yr old boy and 2 yr old girl. And hopefully many more years and a few more children we'll have together.

HaileysMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HaileysMom Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 7:05pm
post #29 of 50

I met my boyfriend online 2 1/2 years ago on this website called plentyoffish.com. He had just gotten out of a bad marriage (his ex-wife cheated on him like 4 or 5 times) and I was just looking for someone I could have a good time with. We talked on the phone for a couple weeks and then he came up (he lived 35 miles away) to my place (I had a guy friend there with me to keep me safe...LoL) and we were out until 2 a.m. We did go bowling but the rest of it was all talking and walking around different places in Oklahoma City. 2 1/2 years later, we live together and have one little girl together and he has a son from his previous marriage. We've talked about marriage but I think he's still scared from his previous marriage. He tells me I should propose to him....does anyone here know of anyone who has proposed to their man?

Stephanie

monizcel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monizcel Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 7:25pm
post #30 of 50

I met my DH online through Lavalife. I saw his profile, thought he was cute and sent him a message...the rest is history.

We dated for 18 months, got engaged and got married 13 months later in May 2006...so it's been almost 6 months of wedded bliss for us.

Ironically enough, it turns out that our families have many mutual friends but we never met throughout the years...took a computer for that to happen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%