Fiji Wedding Cake?

Decorating By gibson Updated 11 Sep 2007 , 2:22am by aztomcat

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 3:58am
post #1 of 13

HI!

I was wondering if you all could help me come up with some ideas for a wedding that is based on Fiji. The bride is wearing a Fijean wedding dress which is brown in color. Doesn't have to be based on Fiji, just thought that would be a cool idea. As long as there is some brown in it. The bride has no idea what she wants! In fact she was going to buy her cake at ughh Costco! When her SIL heard of that she said she was going to pay for the cake and called me up! The wedding is only for 50 people.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Tammy

12 replies
bonnebouche Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnebouche Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 4:15am
post #2 of 13

Maybe do something tropical in oranges, blues and browns.
I just went to MSM images and typed in "Fiji". There are all kind of suset type pictures that you could use. HTH

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 4:57am
post #3 of 13

Here's a photo of a traditional Fijian wedding dress:

http://www.tropicalfiji.com/Romance/Weddings/images/wedding_02.jpg

Perhaps you could simulate the cloth either as a fondant cloth drape, bridal dress tiers, or bridal dress on a sheet cake...

The tropical flowers would also make a lovely cake topper or tier/border accents.

HTH

Duplicate post, please see also:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-reply-498713.html

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:13pm
post #4 of 13

I agree some tropical flowers, would be beautiful.

gibson Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 1:18am
post #5 of 13

Okay, I just talked to the lady again and she gave me a better idea of what she would like but now I don't know how to pull it off, I can't see the detail all that great. I'll try to attach a picture.

If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it!

It's the first one or the one with the palm trees....but she really wants the first one, and I have no idea how to do the pattern....

Tammy
LL

gibson Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 4:12am
post #6 of 13

anybody?

Jasley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasley Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 4:22am
post #7 of 13

Hey, being way down in the Pacific does come in handy sometimes! That design is called tapa cloth so just Google that and you'll find lots of images to base the design on.

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 4:25am
post #8 of 13

Holy cow, I hope you have a bigger pic to work with at home. I can see them ok, but i can't see the detail very well. I think that the palm tree one look s a little easier to do. I am not sure but the one on the top almost looks like chocolate transfer.

ShannanM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShannanM Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 4:25am
post #9 of 13

Yes I was going to suggest going to Google images and typing in Fiji tiles, hoping that would help.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 4:28am
post #10 of 13

Wow. Gorgeous cake, I can see why they want it. The palm tree one is great but the one of the fabric pattern has its own pop.

I'm totally out of my league here but regardless, the first thing that came to my mind were chocolate transfers or edible images. (Can you get transfers with your own pattern?) Handpainting would work too but WHEW that would be a lot of work, I can't imagine that being the way it was done - it doesn't look like it on the cake as parts of the pattern look identical (unless they used a stencil).

Either way it sounds like a very expensive cake, with all of that hand-done work. I am sure someone else here will have some sort of great solution that I'm not capable of thinking up icon_smile.gif.

gibson Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 4:30am
post #11 of 13

What you see is what I see, I can't see all the detail either but will have to work with that pic.

I'll take a look at google image....

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:00pm
post #12 of 13

It looks like piping and overpiping to me. Lots of time and kills your hands - but bea-u-ti-ful!

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 2:22am
post #13 of 13

Well the good thing is that a cake for 50 wouldn't have to be more than two tiers.

If you try the fabric design, I think a few hibiscus on top or at the side would be great.

How about doing a transfer. Can you create the design and have a store do a transfer for you?

Otherwise, I agree it looks like a chocolate tranfer. Earlier I saw a cake on the site that was fondant, with a hand drawn pattern with edible ink. If you could find brown, that might be something to try.

Or make one layer, possibly a middle with the pattern and the bottom and top (if the couple keeps it) with solid brown icing with white/cream accents or a band of the pattern through the middle.

Good Luck, that's quite a challenge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%