Multi-Colored Frosting

Decorating By VickiG Updated 7 Nov 2006 , 8:17pm by VickiG

VickiG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiG Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 20

I would like to try to pipe 3 colors at the same time. Today I experimented by putting 3 #8 bags inside of a #12 bag, and it sort of worked.

I was just wondering... has anyone tried this or does anyone have a better idea ?

19 replies
Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 20

Have you heard of striping? Wilton covers it in their books. They may have it on their site under techinques. I've never done it, but from what I understand you use a spatula to make different colored icing striped in your bag. Then you just use it however you want. Not sure if this is what you are referring to. Someone else will know if it's not, I'm sure.
HTH!

starrchaser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starrchaser Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 20

I've tried two colors at the same time. I used my spatula to put a different color on each side of the bag and piped away. It stays 2 differen colors and yet sort of blends together in some parts. Kinda like a tie dyed effect. Hope that made sence. Bake on! icon_biggrin.gif

Ray75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ray75 Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 20

I did the striping on two of my cakes, check them out to see if that's what you're looking for. I did it by taking a brush dipped in color paste and striping the inside of the bag, it comes out really cool. icon_razz.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 20

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=KHalstead&cat=0&pos=19

the clowns in this photo were done this way......I just used a small paint brush and painted the wilton gels in a stripe on the inside of my pastry bag I think I did two pink lines and a brown one in the middle....and then filled it with plain white icing.

VickiG Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 20

Thanks very much !!! I know the striping method, but what I want now is three solid colors.

I need to decorate next Friday, and I think I may try Starrchaser's method of two on the sides and then pipe into the center the third color... or will work on the method that I was first trying (with the three bags into one).

VickiG Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 3:49pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrchaser

I've tried two colors at the same time. I used my spatula to put a different color on each side of the bag and piped away. It stays 2 differen colors and yet sort of blends together in some parts. Kinda like a tie dyed effect. Hope that made sence. Bake on! icon_biggrin.gif

Yes it makes sense.

Just a question though... with the tye-dye effect, did the colors change or did they just mix... for example.. if I were doing blue, white & yellow, would the colors change... like the blue & yellow into green or would they just swirl ?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 4:03pm
post #8 of 20

You might try putting your frosting in saran wrap and rolling it up. Tie the top of each one and leave the bottom open. Then put three different colors (in the saran) inside your pastry bag. It keeps your pastry bag cleaner and the colors don't run together. I think it would be less cumbersome then putting three pastry bags inside of a larger one. I use this method for individual colors but haven't tried it for multi color yet. It might be worth a shot.

Ray75 Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 4:28pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

You might try putting your frosting in saran wrap and rolling it up. Tie the top of each one and leave the bottom open. Then put three different colors (in the saran) inside your pastry bag. It keeps your pastry bag cleaner and the colors don't run together. I think it would be less cumbersome then putting three pastry bags inside of a larger one. I use this method for individual colors but haven't tried it for multi color yet. It might be worth a shot.

I'm gonna try this method next time! Sounds nifty!

VickiG Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 7:18pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I think that sounds like a great idea ! It was a bit cumbersome putting 3 pastry bags in the larger one. Thanks !

VickiG Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 7:21pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray75

I did the striping on two of my cakes, check them out to see if that's what you're looking for. I did it by taking a brush dipped in color paste and striping the inside of the bag, it comes out really cool. icon_razz.gif

... something else .... Thanksgiving is also my birthday !! this year anyway... Nov. 23 ! Happy Bithday to Kara !

Rooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rooh Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 10:36pm
post #12 of 20

I have put the 2 colors in the saran wrap (called plugs) and have had good luck that way. Haven't tried 3, but I would think it would work out ok. That is really the only way that I do icing anymore - just pop the single plug in there and off I go. If I need to change colors, all I have to do is pull the one color out and pop another one in.

And I DON"T tie the top. Just twist, drop in plug and start decorating.

Here is a thread that demonstrates the saran wrap plugs....
http://www.cakecentral.com/cak.....760-0.html

VickiG Posted 4 Nov 2006 , 11:44pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooh

I have put the 2 colors in the saran wrap (called plugs) and have had good luck that way. Haven't tried 3, but I would think it would work out ok. That is really the only way that I do icing anymore - just pop the single plug in there and off I go. If I need to change colors, all I have to do is pull the one color out and pop another one in.

And I DON"T tie the top. Just twist, drop in plug and start decorating.

Here is a thread that demonstrates the saran wrap plugs....
http://www.cakecentral.com/cak.....760-0.html

Thanks Rooh !

Sorry but I can't get the link to work.

Rooh Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 12:13am
post #14 of 20

Maybe I typo'd -

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-34760-0.html

If the link still don't work for you - do a search on "Two Color Decorating Bag Inserts " by "2cakes" Date is Jul 31, 2006.

VickiG Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 9:14am
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooh

Maybe I typo'd -

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-34760-0.html

If the link still don't work for you - do a search on "Two Color Decorating Bag Inserts " by "2cakes" Date is Jul 31, 2006.

It worked !!! I am so glad I asked ... this should definitely work !

Thanks !!!

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 12:10pm
post #16 of 20

Ooo, I'm going to try that! I'm assuming you still have to put it through a coupler and tip, right? Like, she didn't make that rose with just a cut in the saran wrap? If she did, she's WAY more talented than I could even imagine being! LOL

Melissa

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 12:27pm
post #17 of 20

Yes, you still have to use a coupler and tip to make whatever design you want.

Rooh Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 2:24pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiG

It worked !!! I am so glad I asked ... this should definitely work !

Thanks !!!

Be sure and post a pic of the triple colors, I can't wait to see that.

Ray75 Posted 5 Nov 2006 , 3:00pm
post #19 of 20

Thank you VivkiG, she'll be glad to know that someone else shares a birthday on turkey day!

VickiG Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 8:17pm
post #20 of 20

Thanks to everyone !! I'm definitely going to try it using this technique and I'll post a photo. It might take me a few weeks so do check back.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%