Choc Cake Filling Ideas! Asap!!

Decorating By ryansmama Updated 10 Nov 2006 , 12:39pm by Yjudania

ryansmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ryansmama Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a shower cake this weekend. The cake is dark choc. fudge cake mix (with choc. fudge pudding added into mix). I want to do a filling, but I've never done this before. I'm thinking of trying the whipped choc. ganache. I've never made this so i don't know how it is. I've made the reg. ganache and love it, but I usually just pour it over the cake. So I'm thinking layering the cake with ganache (whipped or reg?) and puting thin slices of strawberries on top of the filling. What do you think?? Do I need to do anything to the strawberries, like do them in a glaze or something? I need opinions badly! and what kind of icing should I use with it? I want a white icing (because it will be a baby carriage cake), so maybe a cream cheese frosting? I want something not overly sweet! Thanks so much for any help that will be given. I don't know what I'd do without this website!

5 replies
icingpraises Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingpraises Posted 3 Nov 2006 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 6

Welcome ryansmama! CC is a treasure-trove isn't it! Here's a couple of thoughts for your cake- love the sound of the ganache and strawberry fill-- I believe I would put them in separate layers rather than together in the same layer-- if you don't mind doing some extra torting. You can then combine the strawberries in a glaze. I love the BCdream recipe from this site--not too sweet. You won't have a pure white icing though. If that is an issue, you can use all-crisco (won't be as rich tasting), or I've heard you can buy colorfree butter, though I have not tried that yet. There is also the trick from here on adding violet to cancel yellow tones. The cream cheese sounds good too, but I wasn't happy with the crusting cream cheese recipe I tried from here. Others really like it, so I will likely try it again to make sure it wasn't my own error in preparation. One other idea for filling- I haven't tried it yet- doing a cake this weekend using this-- a cookies and cream filling-- I think it would be yummy with the strawberries! HTH icon_smile.gif

Robin

bk111057 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bk111057 Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 12:12pm
post #3 of 6

I have never heard of ganache filling or BCdream. Do you know where I can get those recipes? I'm always looking for new ideas for fillings.

neurnr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neurnr Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 12:21pm
post #4 of 6

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2328-9-Whipped-Chocolate-Ganache.html

try this one. I use it as a filling and a crumb coat under fondant on my chocolate cake and it is delicious! I get lots of raves on how its not sickningly sweet. Haven't tried it with strawberries though - sounds nummy!

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 12:34pm
post #5 of 6

Most of my customers that have ordered chocolate cakes wants a strawberry or raspberry filling. I just made one last night with strawberry. Welcome to CC. You will love it!

Yjudania Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yjudania Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 12:39pm
post #6 of 6

I agree with icingpraises...the cookies and cream filling is awesome!!! Bk111057, you can do a seach in the recipes section for those recipes.

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%